Masters Running

Friday 2/15 Boomer/Masters Runs and whatever ... (Read 536 times)

That was strange, I had to log-in. Soundrunner, so glad you had a good time with SR and he didn't intimidate you. Just remember who is faster right now. Wink 7.3 miles at recovery pace 11:03. I was really happy to finish the run and not feel any more soreness in my thigh. I kept thinking about Perch's magical healing miles theory. I had my tights and gloves on today, so no gloating over shorts-weather, but it was mostly windless for a nice change, and I could smell spring in the air. My DH was running occasionally (3x per week, 3 miles each time) for about a year. I had visions of us running together someday. But, his ankle is chronically sore, probably the result of a bad sprain he had many years ago, so now he only does the elliptical. He never really got to that place where it becomes enjoyable. I wish I could share my enjoyment of running with him. I'm going to have to force him to see the doctor about his ankle, maybe all is not lost! When you are 80 you have to renew your license every year, isn't that optimistic?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Where's Deb? I sure miss her... Ditto Dark Horse... is he off training or something? I missed the memo on that one, too.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, I'm with you - my run has to end on a round number! It was challenging at the Y yesterday, when I was running for a few minutes on the track with 17 laps to a mile! I ran 6 laps before a TM was available, so then I was figuring out what that was while I was running. Glad I didn't fall off the TM with all that deep thinking. I saw a few runners out today, but the roads still look dangerously narrow to me - I don't like cars that close to me, especially when there's slush and ice they can slide on. So I resorted to the Y treadmill again and did 3.2 miles in 33:23. 10:26 pace is definitely getting faster for me. It's hard to be patient, though. I want to get faster NOW!! Time to get ready to go to a wedding tonight - haven't been to one in several years, so it will be fun. Happy Friday!! Teresa
          I ran a double today so I get to post twice about runs in the daily! 4.16 miles. Great weather here in CT! Alas, that all ends as a deep freeze is coming in just in time for my long run tomorrow. My plan is to hit MP for 12 of 15 miles. We will see what the 20 degree weather does to that goal! Tongue

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

btb1490

I ran a double today so I get to post twice about runs in the daily! 4.16 miles. Great weather here in CT! Alas, that all ends as a deep freeze is coming in just in time for my long run tomorrow. My plan is to hit MP for 12 of 15 miles. We will see what the 20 degree weather does to that goal! Tongue
            Really, there's a cold front coming in? Waah! I've been afraid to check the forecast for the weekend. Ignorance is bliss. Good deal getting out twice. Like Jeanne posted earlier, you gotta get out and take advantage of days like today this time of year. Good luck with your MP run this weekend.
            btb1490

My DH was running occasionally (3x per week, 3 miles each time) for about a year. I had visions of us running together someday. But, his ankle is chronically sore, probably the result of a bad sprain he had many years ago, so now he only does the elliptical. He never really got to that place where it becomes enjoyable. I wish I could share my enjoyment of running with him. I'm going to have to force him to see the doctor about his ankle, maybe all is not lost!
              This may sound silly, but could he bike with you while you run? Or how about even rollerblade? Either one may be ok on his ankle. Regardless, it sounds like he should see a doctor anyway. Good luck.
              PJH

Hi everyone, Haven't posted in a few weeks - some vacation in the sun and also nursing the achilles tendon injury I suffered back on Jan. 14. This has turned out to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I had a few good sessions of therapy (acupuncture, massage, etc) before I left on vacation and I had also stopped running completely for a week. I was hopefully going to start up again slowly while down south, but the soreness returned each time I completed a run (no more that 45-60 mins). The good news is that I have been pain free this Tuesday (75 mins) and Thursday (80 mins) at easy pace, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I might have turned the corner. The downside is that my training for Boston, which had been going so well, is now in doubt. I haven't done any speedwork yet and don't have that much time left. I'm thinking of starting to ramp up mileage over the next two weeks and if I'm okay going into March, begin doing some tempo and MP runs then. Any thoughts? I'm resigned to not being able to run like I wanted to in Boston, but I'd like to make the best of a bad situation. I did find out that Garmins don't work that well on cruise ships. I think it's the combination of the Garmin trying to sink with the satellites, the circular laps around the ship and the movement of the ship itself. I felt pretty good though ... after 60 mins, my Garmin said I'd run more than 20 miles at a clip of 2:30-3:00 mins per mile! Not bad. Hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to catching up on what's been happening. PJH
                  Great idea btb, but I forgot to mention this putative running together vision of mine is still a long way off, as the kids need to get old enough to leave at home alone. I have thought about getting my 7yr old son to bike with me while I run. I think he would like it and I would just have to train him not to mow people down or get too far ahead. DH says even the elliptical hurts his ankle, as does walking for long periods. Doesn't sound very good. PJ, I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering where you had gone! And where the heck is Dark Horse. I need someone to abuse.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

And where the heck is Dark Horse. I need someone to abuse.
                    Haven't heard from Tall in awhile either.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Krista - we owe ya for takin’ care of sr yesterday, . . . and goin’ along with his timeworn old injury excuse for not havin’ to run with any of our speedy goddesses anymore ever since the first (and last) time he tried it a couple of years ago. In the meantime, have a good run with Lynden this weekend if that works out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

I think Tall's in Cuba with his lady friend. Wink PJH, you sure ran fast on that cruise ship! WOW! Good luck getting back on the Boston bandwagon! Soundie and Spareribs, where are the pictures? Enke, I had to look up putative ... good word! I'm not sure how I can fit it into conversation today, though. Holly, sorry your class was canceled. Work on strengthening your forearms while you wait for it to be rescheduled. Not like you need more to do on your cross-training days... Happy Birthday to Perch! I think drivers license renewals should get stricter as drivers get older. Not that 55 is old, of course, but recently in Denver there were two older drivers killed when they were driving the wrong way on the interstate. As I recall, the lady yesterday was 82 (but my memory's not too good anymore) Big grin Mmmmm, fresh bread... think I'll have to bake this weekend! 8 mile run at lunchtime, almost 40 degrees and sunny. Felt terrific - one of those effortless runs where everything feels good and you want to keep going! I had a carpy run on Wednesday, and took yesterday off to rest my legs. So I was feeling rested and great today! Even the big hill didn't kick my butt, although I didn't "charge the hill" like CNY - I just jogged it. I would have run further but I was really stretching my lunch hour as it was - 1:25, for a 10:38 avg pace. This was my longest run since about October, so it felt extra good!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

btb1490

enke, how about one of these, and make it a family affair out there? Teresa, spring will be here in a few weeks, then you can kiss that treadmill goodbye for a while! Have fun tonight! PJH, achillies injuries are a bugger to get rid of, so be careful! Speedwork and hills are the two things that will strain it the most, so I would just focus on building up miles for Boston, making sure you get to the starting line healthy. That should be your priority. Keep icing after each run, massage and ice it at night, and stretch it out good after your runs. Good luck! Wildchild, nice way to spend a lunch hour! It's great to come back strong after a lousy run, isn't it?

Marathon Maniac #957

This was my longest run since about October, so it felt extra good!
                            Nicely done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Manchild

I think I like Irish red too!!! Tim, the wind as tough on me this afternoon as well. Went out for a 5.3 mile trail run and the first 2 and a half miles were against the wind and on extremely soft sinky dirt! Ran in shorts in 41 degrees. Ya, where the hell is DH and the Tall wonder? I miss those guys. SR, soundie, always nice to read about a nice boomer meeting. Smile Chris
                                great friday runs out there!! i put in 5.25 miles at an avg pace of 9:29 this afternoon while the thermometer was still in the 40's - well, 41 when i started but 37 when i finished............tomorrow supposed to be in the teens - yuck.....think i might finish off my week in the gym!!

denise