Masters Running

Monday Runs in the Park, the Rain & other things (Read 392 times)

Frankie, Dove, WOW!!  Talk about tough women!

I opted for sleep today - 94F predicted high so we will go to the pool after dinner where I hope to hit the airconditioned cardio room while the kids swim and DH perfects his cannonball.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Heck of a lot going on.  I can't get caught up right now.  Gotta figure out what's what with our wrecked car, etc., etc.  No running today.

Later ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Karin....   yes we will miss you!!    big hugs to you & to SuperG,  (& Mr. Karin & the speedy kiddo)  take care of yourself like you do everybody else!   see you in September.     Smile
        evanflein

Hang in there, Leslie. Hope things turn out ok, but sounds like you'll be saying goodbye to your old car. Sorry about that, as I said before, I know exactly how that feels.

Have fun, Karin! A well deserved break for you, indeed. I'm sure you'll run a lot though...

School starts here on Wednesday, as well, and everyone usually talks about how early it is. It would be nice if they had another couple of weeks, but then they get out in mid-May when it starts being really nice. Expecting Fairbanks kids to go to school in late spring/early summer after a long winter would mean a lot of empty chairs...

I asked about the breaks in a long run because I've heard somewhere (can't recall, but maybe Nobby? and others) that if you stop for anything over a minute or so, you've "undone" the training benefit of the long run. I've always thought about that, and wondered what's the basis for it, but I've also frequently taken a lot of "breaks" whether for the restroom, getting water, stopping at traffic lights, etc and seem to do just fine. Also, Holly and I both do "split" long runs in the winter a lot... start outside and finish on the TM, or vice versa. So, I don't know. It was just something to keep my mind occupied (I don't run with music, audio books, etc). Gotta think of something while you're out there.

And we did break a record yesterday! Sort of fun to do that... 91 was the official high temp, breaking the old record of 86 easily. We also had high winds (didn't mention that yesterday, but most of the last 8 miles of my run were into a pretty good headwind) and very low humidity, so all the wildfires around here are all flared up again. This has been one of the driest Augusts I can remember in a long time.

Errands at lunch, probably more after work.
            I asked about the breaks in a long run because I've heard somewhere (can't recall, but maybe Nobby? and others) that if you stop for anything over a minute or so, you've "undone" the training benefit of the long run. I've always thought about that, and wondered what's the basis for it, but I've also frequently taken a lot of "breaks" whether for the restroom, getting water, stopping at traffic lights, etc and seem to do just fine. Also, Holly and I both do "split" long runs in the winter a lot... start outside and finish on the TM, or vice versa. So, I don't know. It was just something to keep my mind occupied (I don't run with music, audio books, etc). Gotta think of something while you're out there.

If you're putting in the miles, you're getting the benefit.

I recall last year when Tinman was coaching me, given the H&H down here, he sent me a training plan that had me doing doubles to break up the long runs.  He said I should do 2/3 in the AM, then 1/3 in the PM (say 14 early, then 7 late for 21 total).

That didn't work for me because we so often get thunderstorms in the afternoon and I kept getting only the 1st run in.  I changed them to single runs as a result.  But what he said was that I'd be getting all the work on my legs with only 2/3 of the fatigue.  There's no way Tinman would give me a plan that he thought was of no benefit.

I almost always take frequent water stops on my LR's.  I took something like 4 water breaks during last Saturday's 18.2 miler.  It's important to be well-hydrated or I'd have no chance of finishing all the miles.  I'd bonk for sure ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

OrangeMat

MM #6177

So I am correct in my current mantra of "miles are miles", yes? Good to know! Not that my long runs are anywhere near the caliber of you folks with your 20 milers, but I have noticed that since allowing myself short breaks, I've been able to build up quite a strong mileage base for me lately. I guess you could say I've been doing pseudo-doubles a couple times a week, when I'd go out for 3-5 miles on my own, then stop at my car to coordinate a meet-up with my new running partner, running at least the same number of miles again with her. Also at the Tuesday night group run workouts, the coach requires that we take a short water break after each mile, regardless of the workout we're doing. Because of these tactics, I'm now able to run more miles as well as get a benefit of having run them. Win-win all around!

That said... no running for me today. After four solid and strong weeks of upped weekly mileage, I figured a cutback week was in order, starting with a rest day today. It's just as well, since DS is leaving for college next week and I really haven't done much shopping for him yet. Also DD comes home from camp on Thursday, so I know I'll be busy toting her around to get her ready for school and her Sweet 16 BBQ this coming Sunday. We also don't start school until after Labor Day. It's nice to have the entire month of August to hurry up and wait for it.

Oh, someone wanted to know the story behind my name; Tim, yes? It's really not much of a story: my first yoga mat (I'm a yoga teacher, btw) was orange, and when I first needed a username for a yoga-related forum, I couldn't come up with a better name. Plus, orange is DH's favorite color, and while he's not into yoga, I figured I could have a mat in the color he liked, so as to include him somehow. Hey, it's all about intention, right? Well, I had no idea when I picked the name that the initials would abbreviate to "OM", as in that auspicious sound... honest, I was totally clueless to it until someone pointed it out to me! I kinda like the coincidence, so the name stuck as I transitioned to running and such. So that's it!

But yeah, as it's been pointed out elsewhere, good thing my first mat wasn't blue....

Let's hope. Another 7.6 for me this PM, a humid, joyless shlog through grimsville.

At least I got double digits for the day...

Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

but I have noticed that since allowing myself short breaks, I've been able to build up quite a strong mileage base for me lately.

Excellent point.  I know there is some benefit in trying not to take too many breaks, or make too much of a habit of it if you want speedier races, but so many times I know I would not get the miles in if I didn't take short walk breaks (especially in the heat), and most certainly the water and potty breaks.  I'll hold my water in misery for a race, but why be so uncomfortable for my LR?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well, I have always by necessity done a run/walk type of run.   There still is a whole lot of benefit and you can see conditioning changes even in that format.

3.68 miles in a recovery run that became a bit more uptempo than what I had planned for.   However, it was a good run and I am happy with it.

Our heat must have gone up to Erika.....It is only 84 out and that is the coolest for me running in a long while.   Meanwhile Erika mentioned 90+ temperatures in Alaska.   Go figure.

Have a good evening everyone.

Vista
                    Mariposai

OrangeMat, this is coming from a non-conventional runner...one who walks when needed, takes a deep breath when needed and who, by this way has been able to run a 4:04 marathon. 

My feeling is always the same: train as hard as you can...but...listen to your body and don't let a strict set of rules cloud your joy of running.

unless you are trying to BQ...then, I think, it would be another story...even for me.

craving for some rain...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

6 miles for me today  with 1 mile 10:25
                        6 .25 mile intervals at 8:22-8:46 pace
                        6 .25 mile recovery at 12:26 - 13:05 then
                        2 miles 10:46, 9:34

overcast during the run but humidity was pretty extreme - i was totally soaked when i finished

denise

Let's hope. Another 7.6 for me this PM, a humid, joyless shlog through grimsville.

At least I got double digits for the day...

Walt

Dang, this made me laugh.  (um, it's OK to laugh, right?)

(bowing)  Dove and Francesca!

Well, 0 for me.  My weekend of fun (10K race in the hot sun + 12 mile slog the next day) meant I earned a rest day.

Race highlights:

Forgot to bring water to the race and envisioned I was dying of thirst before the start, as I saw all sorts of runners slugging from their personal water bottles, but not a drinking fountain nor pre-race water to be found....saved by my mom and sisters, who moments before the start had a water bottle for me.  Whew!

I ran about 5 seconds/mile slower than last year (due to heat and being a bit chubby) but ended up with a 3rd place AG finish of 51:04 (watch time).  The speedy girls stayed home this year, woot!  But the age group awards were only 1 deep, boo!

Woods Lady came in, fresh and chatty at the finish, and I had water ready for her...I traded her for one of those big orange slice gumdrops she stashes in her pockets for races.  She complained about having lugged it through the whole race just to give to me... 

And drat, although she won her AG in the 4.4 mile run/walk, there were no awards at all for that race (more boo's!).  Plus, the announcer lady dragged the awards out so long (thinking she was really quite funny but wasn't), we left before all the random prizes were drawn.  This is why I started doing races, you know...for the random prizes.  So you know the announcer has to be really irritating for us to take off before all the gift certificates are handed out.

Big Sister Econo and Judge Econo did well -- especially The Judge, who knocked 6 minutes off her time from last year. She's still walking but much faster...

From there we went to the Viking Inn for a fun and nutritionally dubious breakfast (served all day!)/lunch.  A happy day.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Oh, someone wanted to know the story behind my name; Tim, yes? It's really not much of a story: my first yoga mat (I'm a yoga teacher, btw) was orange, and when I first needed a username for a yoga-related forum, I couldn't come up with a better name. Plus, orange is DH's favorite color, and while he's not into yoga, I figured I could have a mat in the color he liked, so as to include him somehow. Hey, it's all about intention, right? Well, I had no idea when I picked the name that the initials would abbreviate to "OM", as in that auspicious sound... honest, I was totally clueless to it until someone pointed it out to me! I kinda like the coincidence, so the name stuck as I transitioned to running and such. So that's it!

Yeah, that's what I was thinkin' 

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

My first 'real' run tonight since my knee injury - 7 ez miles in 1:06 - knee felt good, but tight. My Doctor told me my flexibility in my afflicted knee would be messed up for awhile, but would gradually loosen up and return to normal. I am do do very gentle stretching, but not too much. I am just happy to be running again...............

Boy................sure was a lot cooler out, I barely sweat :-)

Duly noted Karin.................but still one heck of a run!!!

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

I ran about 5 seconds/mile slower than last year (due to heat and being a bit chubby)

I love you for this....this is EXACTLY how I feel about my running this summer....

Great job for all of you!  Although I'm sorry about the 1-deep awards and bad announcer.   Not a cherry picking this time, but what a great day with Woods Lady and your sisters!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."