Masters Running

When-is-day, 6.8.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice rule-breaking, rainbow-sighting, shirt-off, drippy run, Stumpy. Have a good trip to NC. Looks like the storm should be out of your way.

Nice 8er, Aamos. Good question about the calm after the storm - I guess it is because it is too often NOT calm after the storm. I can't help with Snapchat. Good luck finding a weekend 5K.

So, so close in that 5K, Tammy. But don't beat yourself up - you still did well!

It's out of your hands, Twocat: It will always be known as Twocat's Rule. Accept it. Oh, and nice 6er in dry weather yesterday.

Sorry about the bug & fever, Enke. Get/stay well. I'll bet that dress looks great! My coworkers would be shocked if I showed up in a dress too, but that's a different story...

Good plan, Holly: Set the alarm, get DH up, go back to sleep. Well done!

You GUESS you've been running, LaT? You mean, you don't know? Good snapper sighting.

I agree, Tet - it would make it more fun if everyone in all races wrote their ages in the back of their legs so age groupers could see their competition. Make that happen, will you?

We had a very productive special meeting of our conservation commission last night, voting to accept what was a time-consuming and aggressively-negotiated solution to a very unusual and complex situation. We're pleased with the outcome. But now it has to go to our Board of Selectmen for their approval, and we understand that they might ask for more concessions from the developer involved and that could screw up the whole deal. So we have to try to head that off. There's always something...

This morning, I woke up at 4, fed the cat, and decided to return to bed. I had worked out hard the last few days, so some rest was in order. I didn't get much more sleep, but still appreciated the rest morning.

Have a greta When-is-day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Thanks for the encouragement, LaT; gladdaseeya!

Ground out a moderate tempo last night after work, a 10K, so 6.75 this am.  Last night's effort took me to Lakes Park: nice seeing it in the evening.  Lots of walkers, a few runners, and the birds coming home to have supper and roost.

I found a 5K, still deliberating.

SO, last night,  DH announced he wanted to get a new bike .  I was supportive UNTIL he disclosed that he intends to use some of the $$ we set aside for an upgrade on his hearing aids for said vehicle..  More discussions will ensue.

Went to sleep with the TV on last night so I could follow the news from the west coast.   Took a while, but .  And there is nothing involving politics in that sentiment, on my honor and in my truth sox.

Gilda really was great, wasn't she?  (It's always something.......Nevermind!)

Enjoy today,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, 4 days of no running, and a lovely 55 degrees out, so I headed out the door for what I hoped to be a pain-free run.  Sadly, this did not occur.  By 5 miles the back of my knee was pretty sore, and as I neared 7 miles I was reduced to a limping walk for the last block home.  I decided to bite the bullet and go see a sports med doc to confirm Amy's diagnosis and clarify the best protocol for healing and yet remaining active.

I am betting that 50K in two weeks is probably out.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

yay! Our heat broke! nice and cool over night and almost "chilly" this morning (but didn't stop me from wearing shorts to work - and no, they are not running shorts   .

but I will run after today. Should only be low 80's, so it'll feel nice! David is playing tennis after school so I'll run while he's still playing. Tennis is officially over, but for those that want it, the coaches are still holding practices M W F . It's actually a "skills camp" more or less and is open to anyone. Since they use community tennis courts, they can't reserve it just for the HS'ers since sports season is over, so anyone can attend. This weekend David is in a community tennis tournament also - playing both singles and doubles.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya Tammy: yay for your weather.  Hope you love your run tonight.  So nice to be able to look forward to it all day.

Oh, Holly, carp.  And not my "diagnosis," in that I'm no expert, just trying to help.  Hope you get a real answer on what the problem is back there and get back to pain free running asap.

No More Injuries, people!!  I'm doing all I can karma wise to get us some good mojos going on here.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Gilda really was great, wasn't she?  (It's always something.......Nevermind!)

If it's not one thing, it's another! Yada, yada, yada...

SO happy that order has been restored to the universe and Jay is back to his usual post. Thanks, btw!

Oh Holly. That's rotten. I hope whatever the problem is turns out to be a minor setback and you're back to your usual routine soon.

When is David done with school Tammy? Our kids have been done a week tomorrow.

5 miles on the elliptical this morning, 15 minutes on the rowing machine and 30 minutes of weights and core. Now I'm on a mission to spread 12 yards of bark that just got delivered. I'm running in a 10k race this Saturday. Forecast? 85-90° with lots of humidity. Looks like another carpy run to add to my already long list of carpy runs

TammyinGP

When is David done with school Tammy? Our kids have been done a week tomorrow.

last day of school is 6/16. and they head back after Labor Day. Summer seems so short for us. Especially considering he'll have speech practices M-F, 6 hrs each day the entire week of 6/20 and then he leaves for Atlanta from 6/26 - 7/3. So really our summer break where we can do family things - camping, day trips, etc. doesn't start til July.

Tammy

Oh no Holly.... I hope you get some information and a plan of action for your knee.

Lots of drama in MBE's life yesterday.  His DD decided she was not going to attend her law school convocation, then at the last minute did decide to go.  A party he had planned in the afternoon before the event was cancelled because of a bunch of drama with her (long story, can't go into it).  But we did end up going to the ceremony, with his parents and sister and her boyfriend.  Her mother (his ex-wife) was there, but I guess they don't really speak to each other.  We left early.  Poor kid, she is going through a lot right now.

I did run this morning though!  62F, humid and I did 5 miles, with 2 separate miles at tempo pace (around 9:30).

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Our heat broke here too. At least for 2 days, then on Saturday it is supposed to be up to 95° or more.  My "long" run this week will be 9 miles and I am pretty sure that I am going to do that tomorrow morning when it is in the low 50s rather than wait for the Saturday apocalypse. I'll keep adding a mile every week or so until I am ready for the 15 mile race on Labor Day weekend.

I ran 4 this morning. 58 comfortable degrees.

Work has been busier than ever, yet we've lost some key business and a number of people were let go. So why is there more work than ever?  (Overall the company has been growing but our corner has been shrinking.)

enkephalin I am not going to even try to follow what you wrote. Who is who to who? One normally thinks such drama ends with high school. Graduate school? Crazy.

Holly S. good idea to let yourself heal all up. You will run again pain free. Just be patient.

La Tortuga cool seeing turtles on your run. There is a spot on one of my routes where they sometimes appear. They just look so comical that it makes me smile for a bit.

No run for me today. Just used the elliptical. No rain either, which means I have to water plants when I get home. I should have done it before I left for the office. Oh well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good news from the sports doc (kind of).  An ultrasound showed no noticeable damage, and that it isn't a Baker's Cyst, so she said it is likely micro-damage to the lower hamstring tendon, which is irritating the Peroneal nerve (which is why it aches so much).  So, if I treat it right, it will heal up nicely.  She said NO RUNNING for two weeks, and gave me a bunch of exercises to do at home, and I will see her again in 2 weeks to work out a plan to a gradual build-up.  No running the 50K in two weeks, which I expected, but at least my fall marathons should be unaffected.  She did say I could walk, if it didn't hurt to do so.

I am currently in negotiations with my boss about my work-from-home Fridays.  Wish me luck.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

good temps, but still hurting

evanflein

Henry, thanks for sharing that. I knew her surgery was today and was thinking about her. A woman in our office was diagnosed with much more advanced cancer, and much younger (in her early 40's). Her surgery was successful, but she has a lot less of what she started with than Kate. So glad it sounds like it was successful and I hope recovery is uneventful.

Holly, bummer but hey it could be worse. Sounds like no long term damage, you didn't even get the "no running for six weeks!" order, which is what they usually say. Because hey, almost anything heals well enough in six weeks. Two weeks is nothing! (trying to sound encouraging)

Oy, Enke, too much drama. Sort of comes with the territory of ex-spouses, especially when not on good terms. Sorry about that. But hey, good running for you!

Thanks, Jay, and glad you're back. What does your community do when you're gone??

Aamos, he can always save up again for the hearing aids, right? If the bike is a good one at a good price (is it?), then maybe he shouldn't pass it up? And hey, he got up and said what he wanted, that should count for something?

Tammy, I'm so impressed that David took to this tennis thing so well. He'd never played before, right? Just decided he was going to do tennis and bam, off he goes and does great. I don't think there's much that kid can't do when he puts his mind to it. How's your garden this year?

Got a late run in last night, 6.6 miles mostly easy but felt harder on the uphill trip home. LOTS of coughing afterwards. Good heavens, I sound like I have COPD or something when I'm done. I was going to do the run home from work thing today, but not only is our weather kinda crappy (cool, overcast, windy) but I don't know that my lungs are ready for that run. *sigh* I'll go out for an easy 5 miles or so later today. DH has a late appointment, so I can run then and we'll go home later.

TammyinGP

Thanks for sharing that Henry. I hope she is cancer-free and can resume her 5 alarm chili eating soon!

Erika, nope he'd never played tennis before. He is such a gifted athlete. Wish I would have had that ability when I was young. My husband wasn't an athlete either so it's not like he inherited his ability from either of us. I think some of that comes from self-confidence though. He is a very self-confident and loves challenges. Whereas I tended to shy away from things I was unsure of for fear of failure. He doesn't have that fear. If anything, it drives him to try harder. While some athleticism certainly comes from ones natural physical talent, I think self-confidence plays a huge role too.

my garden is doing well this year. beans and sugar snaps are now in blossom stage, we've been enjoying lots of lettuce, celery and radishes already and I'll be so overloaded with tomatos and peppers! 25 mater plants, 23 different pepper plants. oy! potatos are looking good and should have quite a few cucumbers also.

Tammy

Tammy, nice 10K.  enke, I hope the stomach bug is gone or at least getting better.  Holly, I'm glad to hear you went to a sports doc and that the news isn't too bad.  Also, good luck in negotiating work at home Fridays.  henrun, thanks for reposting DaveinAA's FB post.  My thoughts are with MS and Dave.

Yesterday, I got in 5 miles at an 11:52 pace and this morning, 5 miles at an 11:43 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TpmS