Masters Running

Sunday 21 Feb - Master's thread (Read 443 times)

Denise, I am NOT an expert on these things, but I believe you need to get your photo onto a website like Flickr or Picasa Web, then grab the URL.  You can not just cut and paste from your computer.  Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry about your HM!  I did one while still working on a stomach bug and my time was 2:15.  I felt absolutely horrible the last 3 miles, was taking walk breaks and swore I'd never do another race.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

pushups 52 (2x26).

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

4 easy miles plus 3 miles of walking with my DH

oh!!! and I was wearing my favorite pink shorts and matching short sleeve top. .

it was 55F

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

20 miles for me in Sunny Seattle,  3:13:30.   I was a little worried about my knee since I felt a little twinge during a 12 miler the other day.  It felt fine today.  everything is good.

1 month from the Bataan Marathon.  Work week coming up so my training will be a little light.I need to decide if I want to run a second 20 miler 2 weeks before the marathon or not.   I think I probably will, and have a two week taper as long as their are no twinges or niggles.

Of to restock the refrigerator.  It's great to have a working one again.

Dave

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

20 slo (3:28:00) miles but got er done and no knee issues!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tom - Nice run this morning!!

Bruce - Good job on your longest run in so many years.  You're gonna do a fine job at your marathon.

Mari - You would've fit in yesterday.  A lady running the 25k was going through radiation treatment, so the race directors had asked folks to wear pink in her honor.  Lots of pink.  Even the guys.

Holly - I don't know how you do what you do on the treadmill.  I am always in awe.

Tramps -   I'd never run in mud like that before.  The hardest part was not slipping and falling.  Came close a couple of times, and Karen did.  She fell and bled (from grabbing a berry vine), so I was waiting for her to puke or poop herself for the trifecta.  She refused to comply with my requests.

Denise - Sorry the run wasn't what you expected, but you got it done!  Good for you.

Mary - I'm wondering where JLynne is, too.  Re your HR - Give yourself time, and just keep up the run/walk.  You'll get control of it.

Erika -

Slip slidin' away
              Slip slidin' away
              You know the nearer your destination
              The more you're slip slidin' away 
              (couldn't help myself . . . )

After a long driving day Friday, long muddy day yesterday, and long driving today, I'm pooped.  Ready for a nice long nap - like all evening and through the night.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Denise, how cool that you got to meet Jay!  Sorry it wasn't a good day for you to race - that happens sometimes.
                Leslie, I'll add my congrats to everyone elses about finishing your ultra yesterday and for staying with Karen when she was feeling bad. I know you said you've been there, struggling to finish, and it must be such a huge help to have company at a time like that.
                Nice 20-miler, Tramps, and good visual on high-stepping through the roof trusses in the mud!
                Sue, what a cool picture of the mama deer!
                Bruce, congrats on finishing your 17-miler and feeling strong.

Erika, I agree with Holly - how do you run so fast in the snow?

Nice 20-milers for Dave and Steve too!

We've been getting more snow on and off all weekend.  Only about 8" but it's enough that the roads aren't really runnable.  DD and I took the Ddogs for a walk, then I drove out to the rec center for some indoor running and weights.  My leg and foot were a bit sore today so I only ran 3.5 miles.  The driving was getting pretty bad so I parked the car at the top of our road where the county starts plowing, and walked the 0.7 miles home.  I'm hoping our neighbor plows our road but if he doesn't, at least we can get out tomorrow.  Although I'm not looking forward to walking 0.7 miles uphill back to the car at 6 am tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Erika, I agree with Holly - how do you run so fast in the snow?

I dunno... I just set my mind that that's what I'm doing and it seems to work out. Like Aamos said though, that running on snow takes a lot out of you. I was feeling pretty good when I finished yesterday, but today I could sure feel those MP miles coming back to haunt me!

Very nice longest-in-a-long-time for Bruce!  And great 20 milers for Tramps (after having been bogged down in so much snow), Perchcreek (after knee surgery what... 5 weeks ago??) and Divechief (not a bad time, either, buddy!). 

Sue... where's all your snow?? Something just wrong with that. But what a beautiful deer. They're so dainty and pretty... but then I can say that because they don't eat my hostas and such. I hope you can see the fawn when it arrives and share with us.

Kevin, I do the elliptical at Ramp 10, resistance 10 and 12. I do a manual interval workout usually, 2 minutes at level 10, 3 at 12, repeat as necessary. I probably should experiment with higher ramp, but this seems to work for me. I do the Strides Per Minute at mid-140's so get a pretty good workout, but rarely go more than 32 minutes.

13.5 miles today, in lovely 29 temps and the sun was peeking out from the clouds at times. When it was out, if felt warm and I just love that. Hey Holly and Enke, part of the reason I run later in the day is so I can run IN the sunshine!! Part of the reason I like to run is it gets me out of the gym and into the sunshine. If I were going to run in the dark all the time, I'd just run on the treadmill and save myself a lot of layering time. 

Pace today was average 8:37 which is faster than I'd intended, but the good news is it was very consistent. I think it ranged from 8:30 to 8:43 depending on the terrain and snow conditions. These warm temps we've had have been wonderful for dressing for, but hard on the snow making it soft and slippery. Like running in sand or something. Ugh. But, I'm sure it's good training for when things clear up, right?? Pool running tomorrow, in keeping with the agreement I made with my foot awhile ago.

Dave59

bump