Masters Running

Sunday stuff, 7.10.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats on the 5K AG hardware from a race on an unusual course, Tet.

I'm glad you had fun at the wedding, Deeze, even if you had to pay for it a bit the next morning.

Sounds like a good trip, Tammy.

Sorry about the fire, Tselbes. I hope it is a quick and not costly repair.

Good runs, Deeze, WC, Dave, Lamerunner (welcome back), Hallar, and Tselbes.

Feel better, Holly.

Yesterday morning, we took our overnight guests to our fav. dive for an early (8:00) breakfast, and then encouraged them to get on the road early to beat the traffic on the rest of their journey to Acadia Nat. Park for their week's vaca. They didn't take the hint, and hung around till about 11:30. Oh well. As soon as they left, we started our final prep for last night's dinner party., and we were ready when neighbors started arriving at 6. After appies, we had a tomato, fresh fig and blue cheese salad; roasted sweet potatoes with a maple glaze, a slightly spicy yogurt sauce and scallions; and grilled lemon chicken with a corn/jalapeno/squash salsa. We finished up with chocolate whisky cake. We talked about the presidential candidates, possible VP picks, the upcoming conventions, and our election process overall. It got pretty raucous, but there was also a lot of laughter, so it was a great time. Among the 8 of us, we went through 9+ bottles of wine, so it was a good thing that everyone walked here and nobody had to drive home. Before everyone left, we set a date for our next political dinner, which will be next month at our favorite (and Robin's too) lobster restaurant, which is Chauncey Creek just up the road in Maine. It'll be interesting to see how the presidential campaign & landscape will have changed by then. Meanwhile, we don't have any more company coming till friends from CA arrive for an overnight tomorrow. Maybe we'll relax today - I dunno.

10.1 easy RW miles in a cool mist this morning. It took 3 days for my achy ankle to resolve itself, but it felt OK this morning.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

TomS, sorry about the fire. Scarey.

That 5K sounds grand, Tet.

The dog and I had a nice little run yesterday. I remembered fartleks. Fun fun. Tag found a 5' blue racer. He was very interested, but also kept his distance. We celebrated by doing our best to prevent darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that dinner sounds delicious!

TomS - I am glad at least that no one was hurt.

Steve - What is a blue racer?

Well, my stoopid knee is bumming me out.  Went out for a 2-mile run and could barely do it.  This started out as an outside knee/back of knee pain, nad those two areas feel fine, but now I have inside-knee pain, and it feels like a whole new injury.  Drat!!

That plus 20 minutes of PT exercises and an hour of yard work and I called it quits and headed for the shower.  I still feel a little queasy today, so maybe it's just as well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Jay - awesome meal.  We also love Chauncey creek

totally broke two at rule. Ran 5k in pouring rain. Shoes got drenched walking to start.  Won AG but also was AG.  Stopping for breakfast on way home

had dinner with Aamos yesterday.  She should have finished by now a beautiful hilily wet courrse

holly - sorry for new aches

Mariposai

What a fun 5k, Taper Boy. Congrats on your AG.

Holly, sorry to hear about your knees. I am also nursing back kness ouchies. Mine came from the hike last weekend.  Another day of rest for my wings .

Go Aamos, go.

Enjoy your Sunday, folks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Steve ,

https://youtu.be/td7msNo5lDc

Heres a link to a video and song I thought of for Steve and Tag

Holly,

the frustration of injuries especially during the middle of the summer is terrible. I hope  a little more rest will be the ticket.

Well I stuck to the trails today as planned. The good is I ran a solid pace for  an hour and forty five minutes. The bad is I'm not sure of the distance because I must have lost a signal along the way and when I came out of the woods it read  .3 miles 😁 Oh well  not important except I am very anal about my miles. The other thing was the horse flies. They were horrible!

Hope everyone has a great run today,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly,

the frustration of injuries especially during the middle of the summer is terrible.

No doubt.  It would be so much nicer to have an injury in January or February when the weather is not so gorgeous.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Racer.
                  I have a vague recollection that I might have known what a racer was once upon a time back in the sixties when I lived back there too but I’m with holly and’ll await steve’s clarification.  Salamander?
                  Racing.
                  A heavy squall of what would have violated Running Rule no. 1, and joined me up with marj for today’s violators, abated just before this morning’s second consecutive 5K. Whew.  Second consecutive AG too but, like marj, this time it was just me.  Anyway, I'm not sure the rule should apply to pre-registered races where you either forfeit the entry fee or go out and get some good exercise for it anyway.  Nice scenery along the forested trail route but nothing like alpine vistas of Carolyn’s romping grounds.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...you can add me to the injured list.  I did our local cross country fundraising races yesterday...a 4 miler and a 2 miler.  Since I was scheduled for a long run, I decided to do both.  Half way through the 2 miler I strained my left hamstring...and, of course, I was too stubborn, or stupid, or whatever to stop so I limped my into the finish line and I'm paying for it.  I'll take the next week off and see how it feels.  It's pretty depressing.

That's it--gotta go.   See ya!

There is an exception to the rule for target races. 

Ran the local crazy distance race yesterday. It was 3.042 miles.  Came in 48 overall. I broke a 7 minute pace and I am pretty happy about that. Today I spent entertaining some friends we had over for the weekend. For them it is a day in the country since they live in Manhattan. I also spent some time pulling mile a minute vines from the wooded area behind our back yard. It is an invasive species and the town asks us to yank it whenever we find it. There was quite a lot back there and I ended up with a pretty good sized pile of the stuff by the time I was done.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi, Everyone - Quickly sticking my head in here before I hit the hay for night.

Sorry to see some of you wonderful peeps are nursing injuries.  It definitely sucks, as Holly said, that it's not in the middle of winter when you really couldn't care less about getting outside.

Jay - I was salivating over your food list for your dinner party.  Yum!

I managed a 40-mile week this week . . . and now we start the beloved taper!  Yes!  I am SO looking forward to it!  Between running, work at work, and work at home . . . *sigh*.  Gotta hand it to my wonderful Hub, though.  He cleaned how yesterday and today when I got home from working all day, he had made some absolutely WONDERFUL blueberry muffins!  And he gave me a card that said he appreciated all the hard work I've been doing.  Yep - I picked a winner.  He puts up with a lot.

I've accumulated 27 hrs of overtime since Monday and it just keeps coming.  BUT - in a week I'm gone for 8 days.  Yay! [insert dancing bananas here].  Yeah, there's a 24 hr race in there, but somehow after everything I've been going through at work, it sounds like a piece of cake.   . . . . Actually, I'm trying to quell my anxiety over the whole thing.

Okay - Enough of me blabbing.  Love you guys ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Steve - What is a blue racer?

Although I quit freaking out, I still don't like seeing snakes on runs. I'd love to have one take up residency in our yard.

Holly, I hope your knee kicks up the healing a notch.

Hllar- Snork!! Holy nice run!

FatOzZig, That much work makes a person's brain sad.

DW, the dog and I put in a heated two miles.

SteveP