Masters Running

Sundaily 5.27.18 (Read 39 times)

bioguy

Morning; this may be part of my effort to reboot my running, but I'll go a head and start today.

Coastwalker- race walk training

Sees the Ground 10

Quickadder 6.3

RunerKSA 6.1

HollyS 7.1

Stumpy 3.6 with a big hill but no walking

Mariposai 10

Mike- a bunch of lawn/home chores, 10 mile run and weights plus 3 showers

Tammy 15 in the cold and wet on a pretty trail

Wildchild 5

evanflein 5.1

Twocat 7

Spacity snd in age group 5K

I did a 10 mile suffererfest race

Went to a wedding 2.5 hours away last night, got home late. Now to drive 3 hours to our second home and cut grass there.

Tailwinds!

bioguy

Morning; this may be part of my effort to reboot my running, but I'll go a head and start today.

Coastwalker- race walk training

Sees the Ground 10

Quickadder 6.3

RunerKSA 6.1

HollyS 7.1

Stumpy 3.6 with a big hill but no walking

Mariposai 10

Mike- a bunch of lawn/home chores, 10 mile run and weights plus 3 showers

Tammy 15 in the cold and wet on a pretty trail

Wildchild 5

evanflein 5.1

Twocat 7

Spacity snd in age group 5K

I did a 10 mile suffererfest race

Went to a wedding 2.5 hours away last night, got home late. Now to drive 3 hours to our second home and cut grass there.

Tailwinds! (and have a greta day)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the great start, Bioguy - busy weekend for you.

Good 10-ers by STG, Bioguy, Mariposai, and Mike. I guess the rest of us didn't get the memo...

Tough race, Bioguy. Congrats on your AG award, Spacityrunner!

Beautiful photo, Tammy. It's too bad it was such challenging weather.

I agree with Evanflein, Twocat - it sounds like you were dehydrated. Be careful.

Lots of planting going on yesterday - good stuff!

I hope that ankle thingy was just a momentary thing, Evanflein.

I'm amazed that AOL is still in business after all these years, and with so many other versatile email servers out there.

Our weekend company arrived at noon yesterday, about an hour after I got back from my morning racewalking training session (had 2 newbies to work with). We like BIL's new girlfriend, and her daughter (college junior) as well. We had burgers, potato salad and ice cream for lunch, then took them for a walk along the beach before they took off to visit other nearby relatives (not on our side) for the rest of the afternoon. After a leisurely dinner here, we sent them off to get some sleep (so we could too). They've got other stuff planned for this morning, so we won't see them again till early afternoon. I have a late morning 5K this morning, and DW has some projects she'd like to get checked off, so it all works out well. Dinner for tonight is still up in the air, but we'll figure it out as we go along.

The weather looks decent for the 5K - mid-50s, cloudy, breezy, but a bit humid from last night's rain. My right big toe is still sore, so I'll have to see how well I can ignore that. I was going to take some ibu, but I'd rather deal with it than mask it.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Jay - Greta news about your sister.

Erika - I'm sorry about your experience with customer service. When I wear a work shirt into a competitor's shop, I get asked for help often. After I do my best, I tell them which expert our company has. I've put a hiatus on that until we get a new GM. I do have a few concerns about publicly traded companies. One of them is bare-bone staffing.

I remember how all of us on the forum were checking back and forth and reporting in on the safety of our many friends who were at Boston that day.

I hope I never forget that.

Tammy - Tag and I would call that IRC. That's so beautiful.

We had grandkids dropped off early. There as lots of playing between chores. Our garden has been in for a week. Last year I laid cardboard down and thew wood chips on top. It reduced weeding to zero. This year we've still had no weeds and didn't have to till. I've practiced this in the flower gardens and around trees. I don't need to trim after cutting the grass. When I do hit the mulch, so what? I can easily picture landscape fabric getting caught up in the blades.

When the squealers took a nap, I grabbed Tag, Honey and Mia and hit a hot and sweaty four miles. There were dozens of spots to refresh.

We hit the jack pot on the way back.

These are going to be re-homed with a nice coating of butter, garlic a thyme.

All the grandkids and a friend were over when we got back. I grabbed a push mower and cleaned up the maze through the sumac out front then added a couple loops. After dark, Noah (10) and his overnight guest were challenged to complete the maze. I told them that no one under the age of 15 has entered the maze and ever returned. Since it was finished that day and I'm over the age of 15....it's the truth. I also told them it was the last know location of the Dogman. He's a local legend. The overnight guest didn't want to take the lead. When Noah insisted he go right while he went left, the kids was pretty nervous. They found a package of colored smoke bombs and sticks of smoking mosquito repellent.

SteveP

Love the pictures, Steve.  Gorgeous doggies.

Good running yesterday, all.  I think it is hard to get used to the early summer heat (well, Tammy didn't have that...).   I feel like my runs are races.  My heart rate is too high.  I know I lost some conditioning, but it shouldn't feel this hard to run 11 minute pace.....  Yet, it is.

4.2 miles this morning.  I was wiped out yesterday after my 6.1 miles- didn't do a whole lot the rest of the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Hey All.

Long work trip to Kansas City this week. Did get a chance to listen to some great jazz music in my hotel speakeasy bar. Wonderful food in that town too. Got home late afternoon and ran a second time because my new shoes arrived. I bet others have done the same. Ran trails with friends this morning and will do some bbq today and enjoy listening to the 500.

Have fun with that 5k Jay.

Wonderful pics Steve.

I have to mow the lawn too bioguy only no 3 hour drive. Ugh.

Easy Karen. You just finished with that injury issue. Monkey is a long way off. There's time.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pfriese

Sunday check in for me. I'm back in the flatlands. I had a nice slow 14 mile warm & humid (jtwili) run this morning. After 2 weeks in the PNW it's going to take awhile to get acclimated to this heat & humidity. I still had a pretty good week with a little over 50 miles though.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I thought you said the GF's DD was 12 years old....

Bioguy - that is a lot of driving...

Tammy - what a beautiful place to run!

Spacityrunner - nice racing!

Twocat - what Erika said.

Erika - I'm getting garden-envy.  I decided to forego the garden this year since DH and I will be tearing down and rebuilding the deck, and that will pretty much take up the extra time that would have been spent weeding.  Although I still have to weed the flowerbeds.

Steve - those dogs are so spoiled...  I will have to try your cardboard trick.  Weeds around here grow ridiculously fast.

So, while I am not planting a garden or even my usual slew of annuals, I am doing four largish flower pots, so today I headed to Home Depo (along with about 4 million people), where I uses a gift card to buy some flowers, then went to a local seller nearby to buy more.  The local seller, who sets up in a parking lot a few blocks away, is a little more expensive than Home Depo, but their selection is amazing.

15 miles for me today in 70-80 degrees.  This run felt much harder than it should have, and is not a confidence-builder for the 50K I have next weekend.  I think I am still getting used to the H&H and maybe didn't hydrate enough.

Okay, now I am off to put together my flowerpots.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Staycation this weekend and very enjoyable. Yesterday I was immersed in sports TV-a rareity, since I watch minimalTV- saw a bit of the Liverpool/ Real Madrid match including that fantastic goal, the Prefontaine track meet and baseball (Yankees/Angels) and a lot of walking. This morning did the elliptical, weights and more walking. Tomorrow??

Quickadder

SteveP, I did a double take with your second photo in your post today. Is that a black dog behind yours or is it a tree stump or is it the dogman?

Hot and steamy trail run this morning with DD and some deer flies. The trails looked very like Tammy’s photo, but 40 degrees hotter. 9 miles was enough for today.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That is one happy pack o’ hounds !  Today was island camp opening. Putting in this dock involved a bit more wading than shore. (We roll that one in). Fortunately the water is still a bit low and I never hit critical depth. Cause water is still about 60.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Those are some seriously happy dogs! great pics!

Originally, I anticipated that since I only ran 15 yesterday, I would do 5 today so I could still get in my goal of 20 this weekend. but dagnabit, my lower left shin is sore again today. It never bothered me at all during the Lost Creek 30K so thought I was over whatever was going on. this time though, instead of being localized in one area like last time, this tightness and soreness spans the entire lower left shin. I'm not sure if that would be shin splints, or if it might be normal soreness from running such technical trails yesterday. Some spots were soft, level and easy to run, like in the pic I posted yesterday, but other areas were more technical.  I guess I'll see how this feels tomorrow and do a short test run at home. 

so, today I'm taking advantage of our perfect weather and pulling weeds, DH is mowing, I thinned things out in the garden and just hanging out.  We will go to my parents this evening for a bbq party they are hosting.  This weekend is our annual Boatnik Festival with the highlight being the drag boat races on the river.  I tend to avoid the area because it really brings out the population of our small town that I like to avoid. there's also a big carnival with rides that also takes place at this park and those are especially the ones I avoid, but DS is having a good time because he's working at Hellgate all weekend, which is the big jetboat excursion cruises we have. He's a dock hand and cleans all the boats in between excursions. he is right across the river from where the drag boats are racing, so he has the absolute best viewing spot. he says they are so close that they even get spray off the boats and the announcers generally have to tell them to get off their dock when the boats are getting read because they are too close. After three 10 hr days, he'll probably be ready to go to back to school on Tuesday so he can sleep in and relax. Last 4 days of school coming up.  and tuesday isn't really school anyways because seniors are doing one thing in the morning, then it's Senior Skip Day and they are heading out to a big park along the river for the afternoon.

Tammy

3.1 ez

I'm happy to say that I resisted temptation and did not exceed 8:30 for very long or often. It felt like walking, though! However, achilles is happy, and a full week of reduced speed and distance and I should be back to re-injuring myself shortly after!

I love seeing happy dogz!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, bummer that your shin hurts again - hope it's not serious!

I went for a 4 mile hike with DD and DSIL, trying to find a trail up to James Peak Lake at 11,000 ft, but the road in was too rough for my Subaru and we ended up just parking and walking up the road fora  while.  There was a lot of snow, so we probably wouldn't have made it to the lake anyway, but it was nice and cool.

Then I went for a 10.5 mile trail run in my local state park.  Gorgeous afternoon, although a bit warm.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, been home (real, actual home) since Friday night.  Working a few "honey do" items since.  Today was mowing....lots and lots of mowing.  Prior to that a 5+ mile run in RunnerKSA's high humidity.

Tomorrow I'll get up early and head to Huntsville for the Cotton Row Run.  A big 10k that is an event race--there is a nasty steep hill at the 3 mile mark.  In previous years a D-Day veteran (Omaha Beach) would be the starter (he ran it himself until his early 90s).  I haven't been able to do this race for a few years so I'm hoping he's still with us.

Have a greta night everyone!