Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.10.13 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Dave59, I'm so sorry the new manager is too much like the past managers, and not in a good way.

It's good to hear from Lamerunner, but I'm sorry about the crud. I'm also sorry that DD had such a tough time getting back to CO. Good for you for sending a bill to Jet Blue!

Glad you got out there yesterday, Stumpy, even if everything didn't feel right.

With your weather, Jlynne, it was a good choice to be inside on the elliptical. There was a lot of indoor work yesterday, which is appropriate, given the weather that most of you are dealing with.

Happy Birthday to your RP, Ribs, and congrats to Prime Rib for having his exhibit make the top 5 in Dallas this weekend - good stuff!

I knew that as soon as I took the pressure to workout off by declaring a week off, I'd want to get back out there. Sure enough, I was up at 3:45 this morning, and out the door by 4:10 for 4.5 racewalking miles. It was 9F, and I felt the chill through my windbreaker, but my hands stayed warm enough, so I was OK with that. Despite having taken the last 4 days off, I felt fairly sproinky out there.

I chose not to go to the Budget Com. meeting last night, choosing to avoid getting beat up again. But I did watch the replay on the town's website this morning, and they (finally!) voted to add our Conservation Commission budget to the Town's budget for vote at our Town Meeting in March.

Good luck in your half this weekend, Ilene!

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Yesterday, I sat around and day dreamed about quitting work.  My ever supportive wife said things are the same all over and it isn't worth trying to change jobs at my advanced age.    So I guess I'll stick it out.   She wants to retiree at the end of this year and doesn't want me to jeopardize that by messing with my job.    Everything cycles around and it will get better.  I still like what I do, but just not the current environment.

I had an encouraging run this morning.  5 on the treadmill.  After a mile warmup I did 4 at my hoped for hm pace of 9:30.  At first I felt like I wouldn't make it through 2 miles of that, but then I got my second wind and it became easy.  Could have gone more too but I had to get back to work.

If you've seen then news, you know things aren't too good in Charleston, WV (where my home office is.)  A chemical leak in the water has made it unusable for anything except flushing toilets.  The water can't be boiled or treated in any way.  People can't drink, cook, wash dishes, or even take a shower.  Every restaurant in town is closed.  I don't know why they are making people come into the office.  If I lived down there, I'd go visit friends or family somewhere else until the situation is cleared up.

Annabelle lost her first tooth.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7306/11871690774_ee3cef0da6.jpg

I hope to make travel arrangements soon for the half marathon down there.  Just 3 weeks away now.

King of PhotoShop

She's a cutie Dave.

Thank you all. Buttons bursting here.  The show is tomorrow night, so we're all going. Here is what the Dallas Observer said about him yesterday:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixmaster/2014/01/so_much_art_so_little_time.php

One small item in the show is a dress shirt.  He created a design and then ordered it printed on 25 yards of cotton and then he and the Saint made a dress shirt out of some of it. It will be on a hanger in the exhibit. From a distance it looks like a white shirt with a bunch of small checks, but those checks actually have a short phrase inside. Like you Erika, I don't always get his work.

My first run since getting sick, 3 easy miles with RP celebrating her b'day.  Have a good weekend everyone. Spareribs

Great accomplishment for your son  and exciting for the whole family. Thanks for the link Ribs.

Sweet Annabelle and her toothless grin, Love it! And hang in there Dave. You too Jay. There's a kerfluffle brewing here about later start times for the high school---actually a five year up and down battle. All I'll say is that I am glad the kiddo will be a graduate when and if they resolve this and we won't have to deal with it head on. It does have an impact on us as taxpayers, but won't upend our family life at least. The school committee minutes are quite the read.

9 slippery miles with two of my teammates this morning. I ran with some of the youngsters---medium pace for them and tempo for me, all good. Light coating of snow on top of ice made for some wild footing moments, but it was a great run and at 7:30 pace in the tempo sections.

TammyinGP

congrats Ribs!! Your son is quite impressive! I don't always understand art either although I do have an appreciation for it all.  It's a side of my brain that is not 100% functional but I sure admire the people that are fluent in art.

awww, first toofers gone! so cute! 

small brag on my son too if I may. He is part of a small select group on Leadership Council in his middle school. They do a variety of positive things in their school, organize social events, etc. They've taken on another project with the anti-bullying campaign and have been preparing for a few months to fully understand the seriousness of bullying, and the small acts kids discretely do that are bullying and how to recognize and respond to that when they see it happening, etc. Today they are putting on a 2 hr assembly in their school about bullying, have invited the surrounding schools, including the HS, to attend and 3 news stations also plan on being there. This is a pretty big deal in their little school (one of the smallest middle schools in our area) and they are the first school to take a real proactive stance on this issue. I'll def be recording the various news channels tonight to see how much coverage they get.

good workout at the gym last night. Still can't run, but walked 1.5 miles on the TM, 15 min on the elliptical, various legs weights, ab work and lots of stretching. Hoping to try out a short 15-20 min run this weekend and see how the calf feels.

Tammy

Henrun

Ribs, congrats to Prime Rib-impressive art!

Dave- cute- several of our grandkids are cleaning up from the tooth fairy.

A tropical 27 this morning with a light dusting of snow. Did 3 and my knee acted much better than during my last run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay –  psst.....it is 2014 now….

Dave – Annabelle is a cutie!

Ribs – “schlong zingers?” Where does he get that from, I wonder?    Very impressive, though.

Tammy – well done for your DS, too. When my DS started middle school, there was quite a lot of talk at assemblies and orientation about bullying, which sort of surprised me, since that was rarely mentioned when I was a child. These days, with the internet offering opportunities for more cruelty than ever, it is a very important topic.

2 miles for me on the TM today, followed by upper body weights and core work.

Only 7 more weeks until March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I feel bad posting pictures of my granddaughter.  Hope I don't make you all feel bad if yours aren't as cute.    Is the first grandkid the best or does it get better with more?

Ribs - That is so cool about Prime Rib and the exhibit.

Hope you get back to running soon Tammy.  I'd be going stir crazy by now.

Well, it should be an interesting 24 hours.  Going to warm up to 40 and rain.  And we have at least 18" of snow on the ground.  Last year we got some water in our basement with this combination.  We did some landscaping in the problem areas, got screens on the gutters so they don't clog, and installed industrial size downspouts.  I hope it works like it is supposed to.  It's just that I had a little bit more to do in a couple places around the house with leaves and landscaping but then it snowed earlier than I expected and it never melted.

I went out and dug out the downspouts and tried to leave room for the water to flow.  I also went in the basement and made sure that anything that can absorb water is up off the floor.

Just wait and see I guess.

Mariposai

Ribs, congrats to Prime Rib-impressive art!

Yes, congratulations and best wishes for more career success in the future.

A daily with pictures of kids always is great. Anabelle is sure grown up.

Jay, good to hear that your group has the potential of having a budget in March.

Where is batman?.We need the Avenger Dog to go find him.

A day full of sunshine all day here. Started out the day with an easy 4 miles to the Clinic and back.

Ohh, yesterday after work I ran 9 smile miles on fresh snow. Ohh, that was a Kermel grade run, btw .

I looking forward to a quiet evening today. Brazilian Feijoada is for dinner tonight. Looking forward to it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59 I see you your DW is pretty persuasive.  I hope things turn around at work soon.

CNYrunner we have had similar debates in my town about school start times.  Earlier, later, earlier.  All I can say is unless teenagers have changed a lot since I was one, getting up before noon is pretty tough!

mariposai Brazilian Feijoada sounds great.  Ah, what is it?

evanflein any run on a TM is enough to sap one's energy and who knows create whole low energy month even.

Ran 10 this morning.  I had to get out early before the snow came.  There were a few flurries during my trip but nothing too bad.  About 30 minutes after I got home the sky let loose for a bit.  Fortunately, it stopped a bit before I had to leave for a 90 minute drive to Long Island and then was a light rain on my way back home in the evening.  Tonight and tomorrow a major rain storm is due.  On the plus side it makes going to the office for most of the morning for a panel discussion (total waste of time, I speak for 10 minutes and I am pretty sure nobody cares what I have to say), hanging around and commuting back home less annoying.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Maniac 505

Ribs: congrats on DS art show.

Dave,  good luck on the basement.

Tomorrow's Seahawks game promises to have interesting weather.  a major storm is supposed to be on the way.

3 quick miles for me before the rain and before I have to leave for work tonight.

Marathon Maniac #957

CNYrunner we have had similar debates in my town about school start times.  Earlier, later, earlier.  All I can say is unless teenagers have changed a lot since I was one, getting up before noon is pretty tough!

In our town, the high school starts at 7:10, the middle school at 8:10, and the elementary schools at 9:05.  Really, it seems to me that it ought to be the opposite of that - aren't most elementary age children in bed much earlier than HS age kids?  My DS, good boy that he is, still chafes at the 9pm bedtime we request on school nights, since he gets up at 5:45am (which we try to keep to also, given our 5am wake time), but I hold strong in this, despite the "none of my friends go to bed this early" comments. A good nights' sleep is so important, and apparently few of his friends are getting that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

(I tried to add this picture at the bottom but I am I-pad challenged!)

hey guys, I read through the dailies for the week to catch up. It sounds like a lot of us are inside on the treadmill. That cold spell was a bit much, but I am glad it was 30F today, although I was in the car for most of the afternoon. That gave me time to look over the owners manual for the Escape and get some stuff figured out. I cannot remember the last time we bought a brand new car!

We are in the Twin Cities to celebrate my grandsons' birthdays. Jackhenry is 5 today and Brody is 3.  Jack actually had a cousin that was born today too, what a coincidence that was!

I may may get up in the morning to run on the treadmill, that's the plan anyway. The kids were all here to play in the pools and have pizza. The real party is tomorrow at some bouncy place. MrStarr and I will walk a few miles at the Sports &Camping Show in St Paul.

Deez, you Granddaughter is adorable, I have five grandkids now and finally got a portrait taken!

Addison is four months old here, Mackenzie is three and Rocco is two months old. The guys are holding their new baby sister and brother.

here is the whole clan....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - beautiful family!

Dave59

Starr - Very nice.