Masters Running

Tue Mar 11 Runs and Workouts (Read 553 times)

90% of running is half mental, don't forget.
    Big grin
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Does anyone else go through the syndrome of finding themselves mentally tiring at a certain place on a route just because you have always gotten tired at that location?
      YES! my worst spot is from mile 4 to 5 on one of my 6 mile routes. Since it is a shallow up grade of only about 1%, you don't notice this and think you are going along a flat portion and wonder why your pace is fading. It is also dead straight for 1 mile, very monotonous and never-ending. Well, here was me walking down the driveway yesterday.."ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch". Man, my quads were sore. I ran those downhills pretty hard on Sunday. Feeling better today. Did 3.5 mile recovery run on the TM. Hoping the aches are gone by tomorrow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Manchild

Enke and Vista, this happened to me just today! But I put my chin down and ran through it! I have a feeling that my boinking on Sunday and hardship today on my 5.3 miler is due to me having the begiinings of a cold. Sniffly and coughing occasionally since Sunday. So as for the stats: 5.3 miles in 49:22 on trails, 37 degrees sunny with some wind. Take care Roy, I hope it all checks out. Touche', Ribs! Chris
        spacityrunner

Did 3 miles of running yesterday. Dis 30 min of swimming today. Ran in the new shoes yesterday. Wore the old swim suit today. Foot feels good today. Uh, my swimming isn't affected by the suit unless it falls off. I am hopeful. I will run again tomorrow and assess foot again. Politicians are mortal, mortals sometimes do scummy things. Thanks for giving us the option Mr. Ribs. Oh yea, good luck in the RE and health dept. Holly. It is good to get these tests done while you are young. It will give you a base line to look at in the years to come. That can be very helpful. Good runs and good night.

Trails Rock!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

btb, thanks for the wise words. I decided NOT to run today, since I'm still not at 100%. It's interesting that it's a harder decision for me now NOT to run than to run! Kind of cool. Wildchild, that's amazing you did everything yourself! DH was the GC, and did all the finish carpentry. It was rather frightening to figure out how many miles of interior trim there was to cut and finish! Did you do calculations for the actual oak pegs themselves? We had to turn down a design job a few years back, because there was no accepted info for their capacity. (That was a commercial job, though, which is totally different from residential construction, which uses pegs all the time.) Some university finally did the necessary research, though, and there's even a computer program to figure everything out. I'm impressed you did the structural design - wood connections are really hard to do. When we built our log cabin up in the middle of the Maine northern woods, our contractor thought we were nuts when we showed him what we expected him to do! That's the problem with being an engineer - you know how things SHOULD be done, lol, but they usually aren't, and buildings seem to stay up OK, anyway.
              Nonoruns, be careful what you wish for! Sometimes I'd trade my lippy teenagers for a young-un without batting an eyelash. Different age, different problems... Holly - good luck with your showings. My realtor sister says cooking a turkey during open houses is a sure thing. I guess the smell is nostalgic and the buyers can picture their holidays in a new home (yours!) Bad thing about not having an offer to purchase your new one standing by, you have to worry about sellers getting out in time for you to move in. Home sale contingencies sometimes get tricky. It sounds like your home is priced right. Everything that's moving in this area has been between $100 to $175K. I'm sure Bret Favre's home will be up for sale soon - I'm curious to see how much they ask for it! Some great runs by everyone today. Beautiful weather here this afternoon - sunny and in the 40's. The snow is melting and I have a good feeling that we could be "over the hump." Enjoy your evenings, everyone. Jeanne
              Tramps

Yeah, we actually built it ourselves. DH is the original do-it-yourselfer. We designed the house, poured the concrete, did the framing, electrical, plumbing, roofing, everything. It's a timber frame, also called post and beam, made with round logs. DH hand-cut the mortise and tenon joints, and it's pegged together with oak pegs. I did all the structural engineering calculations, which is a stretch because I'm a chemical engineer, but our building inspector was OK with it. DH quit work for the better part of two years to build it. He worked as a ski patroller during the winters, since we really had to shut construction down then anyway. Our building season is kind of short at 9300 ft. I continued working full time to pay for it, and built on weekends. The biggest plus, besides having a beautiful home, is that we have no mortgage. A word to other overachievers who think this might be a good idea: it takes MUCH longer than you would ever think. When we thought we were nearly done, we decided to start a family (kind of like we were building our nest.) DD came along about a year later, but she was a year and a half old before the house was ready to move into.
                Wow! Very impressive. I'd love to see it.

Be safe. Be kind.

GreenMan

Bravo Wildchild and Hubby. btb, running, camping and 2 - 4 legged flights is probably enough this go round, I might rent a bicycle. Ribs are worst of the morning. But still bothersome all day. I walked a few miles and then ran a couple very gently. For the moment, I seem no worse for the wear. JJJ
                  Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                    Good runs to all today! An easy 3 miler @10:27 pace. Temps are up in the 70s this week...the running trails were packed with folks. Great seeing everyone out enjoying the warm weather. Go Boom!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    PJH

8.6 mi in 1:16 ... 2.7 mi w/u @9:38 ... 4.0 mi @ LT/tempo@7:54 ... 1.9 mi c/d @9:45. Perceived effort level was high tonight ...hr was ~144/149 for w/u & c/d and 159 for the tempo portion. Some days are better than others. Have a great evening everyone. PJ
                      pfriese

Evening everyone, A beautiful DST evening run of 6.4 miles @ 8:50/mile pace on the hilliest road near my house. Paul
                          missed a couple of days here and working out because of 3 busy 12 hour night shifts in a row - i really need to break those up - 3 in a row makes it tough to feel human esp. when they are busy!! today pushed myself to the gym where i have just a 2 week pass to get in some spinning classes: 1 mile treadmill 1hour spinning class 1 mile treadmill btb - thanks for your posts - they helped me catch up on what i missed hope all the ailing spouses and other family members are healing well holly - keep us posted on your lab findings - very interesting thoughts and good luck with the house selling!! night!!

denise

Deez-- I can't imagine how tough it must be getting on a regular schedule and running after 3 nights in a row. I have a sister who is a nurse -- she worked nights for many years and now works as a school nurse where her girls are. My mother was, too. I have a niece about to become one. Smile Thanks for choosing nursing. It's a tough job. Easy 3.2 mile warm-up. 3x3 hill repeats. 1 mile cool down. Legs feel terrific.
                            evanflein

Very late post for a very late run... after all the running around I did today, including a quick shopping trip after work before picking up DH from his office and heading for home... I got dinner ready and stashed in the oven on the delayed time back feature (love that...) and headed down to crank out a little over 5 miles on the treadmill in 45 minutes. Long enough for chicken and rice to cook up to perfection! I finished up about 8:10, got the rest of dinner ready and we sat down at 8:30... late dinner, but I sure prefer a home cooked meal almost every night. But... tomorrow I have 10 planned, so it'll be leftovers or some sort of take out I guess. Should figure out how to cut myself a break here somewhere along the line... Denise, just want to say thank you for cranking out those long hours. DH was saying that his entire experience at the hospital was good... gentle, caring nurses and attendants, the anesthetist and her nurse were great and his doctor is just good stuff all around. A very good healthcare experience all around, but the nurses (and the nurse anesthetist) were the best. Of course... we haven't gotten the bills yet... Shocked
                                thanks for the kind words soundie and erika!! erika - glad your dh had a good experience - hope he recovers easily!!

denise