Masters Running

Tuesday, 11.15.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good job of being a good doggie dad, Steve. I'm glad you didn't get lost and that you finished up with ice cream.

Nice 15+ miler in chilly, windy weather on Sunday, Evanflein (and another 4.1 on the TM yesterday). I'm glad it was a good run for you. Sounds like you had fun in Seattle despite the bumpy arrival. Too bad about the new Brook's Launch. Maybe the Saucony's will work better.

Nice sunrise run, Hally, at whatever speed. Yep, it's always good to be out there.

You and The Hub sure had a hard-working day, Leslie. That kind of lifting and hauling will help build your core.

Nice pool running, TW. Can't you take a little salt to the pool when you get back home?

Good 6.5-mile nooner run, Enke. Sounds like hot-tubbing it over the weekend was a good choice.

Holly, we hosted a blind port tasting party quite a few years ago, and more people preferred the $10 bottle than the $120 bottle. And I heard a story on NPR just a few days ago where they said that most people really can't tell the difference between very expensive wine and much more moderately priced wines. I'm glad that my palate isn't so 'refined' that I can't enjoy a good, inexpensive bottle of wine. Our favorite pinot noir these days, 667, cost about $11 on sale at the state liquor store.

DW got home from her trade conference/sister's mini-vacation last night, so the house is in balance again. Via Facebook, I'm being challenged to a 'salad showdown' with a favorite nephew's wife - apparently DW and the nephew's wife started this over some wine while they were vacationing. The 'when' and 'where' still have to be decided. but the other salad maker and I are looking for appropriate aprons. The best one I found so far reads: "Alcohol: Because no good story ever started with eating a salad."

4.1 easy miles again this morning under cloudy skies because rain is coming in today. I'm getting tired of this easy stuff, but I also know I'm not ready to start ramping back up again yet. So I'm determined to get out for a few miles as often as I can just so I don't turn to marshmallow.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Love the apron logo!

Once in awhile I get a hankerin' for a glass of wine, but it's been so long, I know if I had one (1) I'd be soused after a couple of sips, and (2) I'd have a blistering headache the next day.  I think about that and the hankerin' pretty goes away.

Last night it was about 50 min of core/ST, then bright and early this morning a 30 min stat bike ride.

Bright and early because around 3:45 a huge cat fight broke out in our house.  I got up and ran into the computer room where the cat box is and holy heck was breaking loose.  Mr. and Goofy were trying to tear each other apart.  Cat litter and Mr. hair EVERYwhere.  After chasing them apart and cleaning up the mess, the whole house was awake.  But it was raining, so I decided to switch my days and bike this a.m. and run tomorrow.  Now I'm keeping fingers crossed there were any significant bites which usually end up being abscesses. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I prefer a nice craft brew stout (in fact, I have a nice new growler of one in the fridge at the moment), but am learning to enjoy red wine occasionally.  Certainly nothing that could be considered knowing what I'm drinking.

Steve's day sounds like a successful day, no matter what the endeavor might be.

Bad enough to get woken up by the cat to get fed--would NOT like to have to break up a fight in the middle of the night.  Any idea of what casued the breach in the peace?

A faster 3.1 around the lake this morning.  Felt like I was pushing a bit and ended up at 9:10 pace.  was holding out faint hope to see 8's at the finish, but maybe i'll at least see a mile split with that.  sprinkles on the windshield as I left for work, so the timing was good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Bad enough to get woken up by the cat to get fed--would NOT like to have to break up a fight in the middle of the night.  Any idea of what casued the breach in the peace?

You never know with those two.  Everything goes along hunky dory and then WHAM!  Somebody stalked somebody and fight's on.  I've caught Mr. stalking Goofy a couple of times the last week, so something who knows.

Moral of the Story: NEVER have 5 male cats with 4 of them about the same age.  Everyone's trying to be dominant.   . . . . . well, except for Wilson.  Wilson is Switzerland.  He likes everybody.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - love the apron!  We had an apron in my house growing up with a Kliban kitty cartoon and the words:

Love to eat them mousies.

Mousies what I love to eat.

Bite they little heads off.

Nibble on they tiny feet.

I still find myself saying that at times.  Funny what sticks in your mind so many years later.

Leslie - I think I will stop with the "Never have 5 cats" rule.  While I miss my Max kitty, it is lovely to finally not have a cat sleeping on the clean laundry piles all the time, leaving lots of fur behind.....

5 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..i'm with stumpy//..........sout is good stuff,,,,wine just makes me stupid

ask my wife

============

...40- min poolrun, with belt, cf, ris, paw

heading home tomorrow,

then back again friday

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I bought a bottle of cheap champagne last year (5 bucks, no seriously), and was absolutely shocked that it tasted fine.  Then again, I did not have a 100 dollar bottle beside it to make a comparison.  No run today but got all my to do list chores done.  Some stuff I had been procrastinating on for a long time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

We had cats. But when they passed away my DW would not let me bring in a kitten. I miss having the little fur balls around. The actual yakked up fur balls I do not miss!

I have a blue and white running shirt I quite like. There are a couple of food stains on it that I cannot get out. I tried Spray 'n Wash, still there. Any ideas?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Twocat, it depends on what they are. Spray-and-Wash and Shout don't get everything out, but sometimes rubbing it with dish soap and letting it sit will work, but again depends on what it is.

I can't imagine not having cats, at least one. When Midnight died, DH said he wanted to go "cat free" after Abby passed. Then he goes and traps this cat hanging around our house last year. We've had Emma for a little over a year now, so back up to two cats. Abby is blind and deaf, but otherwise seems to be doing ok so who knows how long she'll last (she's almost 18 if we can trust the paperwork at the shelter where her former owners dumped her). I'm sure when she passes, I'll hear the "only one cat" thing... until we get another. 

6.5 miles in the snow today, temps around 19 or 20° and not much any wind. Really quite nice out there (if you're dressed for it, as I was) and the new spikes I tried out worked pretty well in the snow. Running in snow is one of my least favorite things to do, at least until it gets well packed down then it's nice. This was an inch of new snow, all chopped up from other walkers, runners and bikers so kind of clumsy running. But it was a good run, avg of 8:30 and my last full mile was 8:11 (did some striders to speed things up a bit).

evanflein I am not actually sure what the stains are. Reddish is all I have to go on. Pomegranate? Tomato sauce?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

evanflein I am not actually sure what the stains are. Reddish is all I have to go on. Pomegranate? Tomato sauce?

Dish soap is my go to for red stains. Good luck.

Enkie, it is starting to snow in the passes. Do plan a trip to see us for a winter ski trip.

I have had two cats in my life, Mocito when I was 13 and Moon Dancer when I was in my 40+. I still miss them both, but with my asthma I can't have cats.

Great posts in the last few days. Very busy at work with budgeting and getting ready for the end of the year reports. I did fit in a 7 miler today. It felt good!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Not much time but I wanted to get back in the daily habit. I got in another 3.3 @ about a 9 minute pace after work. It's 3 am and I'm on my way out for another 14 hour shift. Hopefully another chance to run tonight.

we have a cat left from when the kids lived at home. Love her to death but with our busy schedule and the wanderlust travel bug I feel we probably will not have another when she is gone.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

we have a cat left from when the kids lived at home. Love her to death but with our busy schedule and the wanderlust travel bug I feel we probably will not have another when she is gone.

..we had a calico that lived to be 16 years old, ''Hobart''

it fought everything (dogs included) that came into our yard

one year

I kept count and it ate 23-squirrels.

kinda like having a calico-alligator

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....