Masters Running

Sunday, 10.16.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good work on the ARC trainer yesterday, Dave. How was the game?

Mike, you like those kids??

Nice 5-miler, weights work and weed wrestling, Holly. If you find out where the dust comes from, please let me know.

Lori, are you going out too hard for your long runs? When I bonk, that is usually the reason. Next long workout, I take it real easy in the first few miles, then maybe ramp up a little in the middle (depending on how I feel), and I almost always have the stamina to go the full distance.

Sorry about the wind dampening the joy of the fire pit, Evanflein. Sounds like a well-orchestrated run routine you've worked out. How'd the potluck awards banquet go (mmm, apple pie!)? Nice 9.2, traffic stop run. 30F is a bit chilly for this time of the year.

Nice 6-miler to follow up your rest week, Mariposai.

Tet, are you a weather historian?

Starr, it seems that you never stopped moving on your entire trip, or even when you got home - till bedtime last night, that is. I hope you slept well. And I'm glad you saw a bit 'o sunshine in the PNW.

Great racing at SoNo, Twocat, and congrats on the 2nd place, AG hardware. Seems that it took more effort to get your award than it took to run the race!

We have a racewalking training session this morning, so I'll be heading out soon for my pre-session workout. I spend more time coaching than working out during those sessions, so I try to get my miles in early and don't worry about mostly standing around during the sessions. We have a newbie coming this morning (a former runner), and he seems really gung-ho, so it'll be interesting to see how quickly he picks up the nuances of racewalking. It's 38F out there now, and I'm also hoping it warms up a bit when the sun comes up.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Econo's back and inspired! Seems like everyone is talking about the too-long marathon. Do you think that was the organizer's seekrit plan? I'm glad we've made a bit of progress with women's running since '82. Now there are more women than men in most road races.

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

Twocat, congrats on winning hardware at your race yesterday!  Nice work getting the guy to fork over your prize!

Interesting that some folks ran "bonus miles" at the Portland marathon!  Half a mile doesn't sound like much, but I guess it could be if you were trying to get a BQ.

I ran some "bonus miles" in yesterdays' 50k - it was actually 34 miles by my Garmin, and the course was even a bit shorter than last year because the RD had to adjust the course for a trail closure.  In all fairness, last year it was billed as a 55k, but the RD said that due to the course change, this year was more like a real 50k.  [NOT!]  Anyway, I finished in about 8:38, and although it was a tough day out there, the fall colors were beautiful, and I felt good at the end.  Last year I ran the 50 mile race (which was 54 miles) - very glad I opted for the 50k this year so I could hang out and drink beer with my friends in the afternoon!

The RD doesn't give out awards for either overall winners or AG winners - it's an old school ultra, where the fast and slow runners are all treated equally.  I'll see how I did when the results are posted.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker

Hi again.

WC, I am in awe of anyone who can run and finish a tail 50K (or thereabouts) at altitude, so you are clearly a winner in my book, regardless of your placement. Hanging out with friends and having some beer sounds like a pretty good post-race reward to me.

I got in 7.8 RW miles around New Castle Island (near Portsmouth, NH) before our training session this morning. The sun was just starting to come up when I got started, and it was high enough and I was working hard enough that I had my gloves off and my long sleeves pushed up by the time I was done. I spent my of our training session working with the newbie. He's an interesting guy, and everything was fine as long as we focused on racewalking. There were times he started to take the conversation in other directions, and I always tried to politely but firmly not let that happen. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him in future sessions.

It's a gorgeous day today, so DW and I may to get out to take some foliage photos. We also have a 3pm Facetime appointment with a niece, and a 4pm phone call with an old friend. So, gotta go...

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Head Procrastinator

Good day, nice coaching, Jay. Enjoy the lovely day.

Nice 50K and fun to hang with friends and drink beer after, Carolyn.

I went out with the intention of 7 or more and after a mile knew it wasn't going to be. Still walked and ran and managed 5.7.

25 mins of assorted weights after.

Now getting ready to go to the wedding of two dear friends. So happy for them.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Marathon Maniac #957

Hally - Don't know if I have mentioned it, but it is very nice it is having you stopping by here again.

Twocat - nice racing, and well done on sticking to your guns!

Carolyn - well done on your 50+K!

I got drafted into some more DD errands today (what on earth will I do with my time when that child moves out?), and now I need to run to the grocery and log into my work computer to get ahead on some work for the coming week.

10 miles for me today in 60ish degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

8 miles in the pouring rain :/

Mike E

MM #5615

8 miles in the pouring rain :/

Shhhhh...Twocat may be listening...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice racing for a bunch of folks this weekend.  And Econo, I'm glad you had a good run in the rain.  (I'm a rule breaker, too)

Just not today.  Gorgeous fall day and I finally made a run that didn't start a "3".  Of course, it was 4.00 miles and slow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

You all know the "No running in the rain!"© police are going to get you all!

Holly S. my guess is you will figure out how to run additional marathons once DD leaves the nest.

I would have been safe from the no running in the rain rule had I run today. Beautiful day here in CT. High of about 70. For better or worse running a race yesterday meant that I took today off from running. My DW did too but she got out for a long walk with a friend of hers. Funny but she managed to get a bit of a sunburn.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Hally, way to go with the double workout: running plus weights! You go girl!

Econo, nice 8 miler! Great to see you ramping up the miles again.

Holly, enjoy this stage of your life. She will be gone before you know it. Nice 10 miler, btw.

Widlchild, only you can pull of an ultra with additional miles and not to complain about it.

Jay, enjoy your phone and facetime appointments. Got to love modern technology.

Stumpy, 4 slow miles is better than none.

Well my excuse for only running 5.5 miles today was that I just ran a marathon last weekend, but I see that many of the other runners who ran a race last weekend did not use that excuse Smile.

I had a great homecaring day today. I decided that it is time for me to start de-cluttering my hut. So, I started today with the living room. Three hours later, the place is just about where I want it to be. Next weekend is the kitchen...that will be a test Smile.

Sad to say that the clouds will not allow me to enjoy a full moon walk tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I got out for a run today, too, but wasn't sure it was going to happen. Temps are in the 20's but it's the wind that was almost the show-stopper. By the time I got out, we had wind up to 20 mph with gusts harder than that. But, DH drove me to the bottom of our hill and I ran to his office with mostly a tail wind (sometimes cross wind) the whole way. While that was infinitely better than a headwind, I realized I was not outrunning the wind by any stretch, and my butt got pretty cold! Wore my new hat though and my ears stayed toasty warm.

I thought it was great that at our awards banquet last night, the age group awards were nice warm hats instead of medals. Those damn medals don't keep your ears warm!