Masters Running

Wednesdaily (Read 40 times)

6.2 in circles again

6x400 and 1x800 in at 5:45-5:55 pace; 1 lap 2:15 rest intervals

Sitting here with my ice pack on my achilles, so far so good. I think I'll skip 4x800 next week and go directly to 3x1000.

leslie; that's nothing new, every year or two since the 1960's some designer releases skirts for men! Of course it's outrageous, a ploy to attract attention, like releasing pants for women!

drink drank drunk; at least I know I'm not an alcoholic, when my ex and I met she informed me that if we were going to date I'd have to stop drinking. I did that day, for almost 10 years, and didn't miss it at all. Boy, that made her mad! In the last couple years I've become infatuated with craft beers, and unwittingly ramped up the intake to maybe 10-12 bottles a week, having at least one per evening as ritual. As I was looking in the fridge thinking "I've got to get more beer tomorrow, or I'll be out!" on a Tuesday, I realized that maybe it was time to save it for weekends only, and maybe special events in the week as needed. Wow, the weight comes off pretty quick when you do that!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

Hi all,

back from our 24 hr trip up and back from Portland.  man, that's a long drive. It's 4 hrs but all one straight shot up the I-5 with the majority being fairly boring landscape, so it seems long.

erika - you are correct that if it's a sfx, 2 wks won't do much as far as healing. right now, he's leaning towards mild sfx BUT also said the tendons and tissues are very bound up, tight, angry right now so there is a possibility that this is all tissue related. so for two weeks he's going to treat the tissues and get them calmed down. then do his protocol testing for sfx and see if i'm still feeling the same thing. If so, then sfx and no running for 2 mos. if it feels remarkably better, then it was tissue/tendon related and i'm good to ease back into running again. If the latter, I still don't plan on the 50k. at most I'll do the 30k. I feel like at my current level of running fitness, i can still run 18 miles even with this short hiatus.  
      in the meantime, I'll be doing lots of biking and elliptical and keep my cardio up and the pounds off that I lost while ultra training.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Easy 6 miles around the neighborhood, in the late afternoon after the wind died down a bit.  It was howling this morning!

Holly, I love the picture!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks!

We enjoyed our last day here, mostly relaxing and reading and talking by the beach and then the pool.  We took a short ride to see cigars being made, tasted some rum and coffee and chocolate, and bought some souvenirs.   A lovely day.  Unfortunately this morning all the TMs were taken, and by the time one opened up, it was almost time for me to meet DH for breakfast.

3 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

4 miles on the mountain with the trail gang.  Yesterdays storm ushered in cooler weather.  Just perfect for a run this afternoon!

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Tammy--I hope everything works out for you to be able to run the 30k.

I went 12 miles, today...10 at tempo pace.  It was cold and windy but the sun was out and it wasn't snowing...that's coming again tomorrow.

We're pretty sure Eric is using again.  We've been calling all day and no answer.  We went to his house and he's gone.  I suspect a very sleepless night is ahead of me.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

C-R

Hey all. Runners club Wed run tonight. What a great crew. I really enjoy the post run conversations.

I'm sorry Mike. I hope things are ok. Praying for you all.

Well time to finish the taxes. can you say root canal without any anesthesia. Ick.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

okay,the  Holly.

I forgive you for not running barefoot along beach and waves.

However, it'll take more than a monkey picture to get me over

your even daring to mention the word that people run on

when they don't run outside.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Zigalinie - I'm thinking a lot about that horrible year 1968 today, and then again in June but that picture took me back to 1964 and the same feeling of disgust when we <<<(ed note: guys)>>>were all so repulsed over the Beatle's sissy long hair. Unfortunately, I probably don't have another 20 years to get over it this time.

Often wished I hadn't been such a lifelong teetotler, though, but sure not after the last couple of days.  Wish I could somehow give it away.  However, wouldn't not having any in the house work in extending the current three days?

As sometimes happens right before marathons, I braved the rain for an uneventful fiver.

Speaking of rain, maybe twocat can give a speech or something in Japan so I can take him to any or all of the several 1,000+ stair ascents to some of my favorite shrines, . . . or 7,000 in Osaka Station in 3.5 hours.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  In Denver (ok, Aurora) to "score" then vector interested younger officers in my career field (it is voluntary).   We started mid-morning yesterday and the panel I'm on "scored" 80 Lieutenant Colonels and 55 Captains.  The top 15% or so become noted as "high performance officers."  We then provided "vectors" (here's what a panel of 5 senior officers in your career field think you should do next) for, well, everything related to their military careers: professional military education, advanced degree(s), what job should you try for next, should you try to join a different unit.  Did it last year for the first time and learned a ton.  Learning this time as well, but it seems to be "richer."

On the running front, the air is thinner here (newsflash!).  Got in 7.25 miles at an 8:43 pace before dinner.  Ran on Monday and Tuesday as well.

On a different note, I'm apparently a hot commodity (undeserved in my opinion, but it's nice to be wanted).  I thought I had greased the wheels to my next assignment but a number (about 4) general officers appear to have other ideas.  Ugh.

So I generally have about one beer a week.  Last night at the group dinner I had a vanilla stout.  Not too "vanilla-y" so pretty tasty.  Not as good as a chocolate stout but a nice change of pace.

MikeE, will keep y'all in my prayers.

Have a great night everyone.

Mariposai

4 miles for my mariposa wings in the rain and I was smiling the WHOLE way

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I’m sorry, Mike. It’s a tough one.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Often wished I hadn't been such a lifelong teetotler, though, but sure not after the last couple of days.  Wish I could somehow give it away.  However, wouldn't not having any in the house work in extending the current three days?

That would work, tet, if he didn't just go buy another one, or a case of it from the store in Sioux Falls where it is cheaper. I don't know if he is stopping these three days for me, for him or for his lab test tomorrow.  Tonight he said he wasn't coming to Celebrate Recovery because he just didn't want to. Five minutes later he changed his mind and came for the first hour. I was so happy that he came.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Time for Holly to come back to reality. Re-entry is always tough.

Like SB and bioguy, I've cut back on the wine a few times and have been amazed at how easy the weight comes off. So, whenever I'm really bummed out about gaining weight that's one of the first things I cut back. Just empty calories!

So today my leg was kind of bothering me all day, which is weird because it felt fine after my run on Monday and I took Tuesday off completely. So today it acts up? Whatever... I had a 5'ish mile treadmill run planned due to wind and ice outside, and ended up with 3.4 miles because things just didn't feel right. Tomorrow will be a gym day and I'll reassess a run on Friday. So it goes.

SteveP

And in case some of you men were not aware, this is the new fashion trend for men.  I expect pictures from those of you man enough to sport such an outfit.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing

As often as I'm up on a ladder, my co-workers would complain.

Holly has a new friend!!!! I hate to see your adventure end with as much fun as your having.

MikeE - ugh...that kid...Sorry man.

Starr-Yay!!! One Day At A Time.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Time for Holly to come back to reality. Re-entry is always tough.

No doubt!  Home to deal with DD,s misbehavior while we were gone.  DS will give us a full report when we get back...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."