Masters Running

Thursday ~ June 20 (Read 41 times)

Dave59

Happy Sesquicentennial to WV.   (The 35th State - 1863)  All the state workers will celebrate by taking the day off.  I lived there for 18 years and never had the day off.

So yesterday, 12 people posted, but 38 people read the daily.  Would the other 26 people please let us know who you are. Smile  The forum is monitored by the NSA and they already know who you are. Black eye

Holly wrote:  "Dive - do they ever have triples or quadzillas in the Midwest, or just on the west coast?"

Why would anyone ask a question like that????  Roll eyes

Have a greta day.  I still have this dumb headache and sore throat so I won't be running, but I am going to try and get the grass cut before sundown.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone else.

Uh-oh - Dave's keeping track of the posting/reading numbers. Better watch out! Good for the state workers in WV for getting the day off; I wonder if anyone else will? Sorry about the lingering headaches and sore throat, and I hope they start to fade soon.

CNY, your Crossfit workout yesterday sounds like a real challenge! Good luck on this biz trip. I also love the way Mustang Sally expresses herself in writing - how fortunate we are to have her here!

Tramps, thanks for the all the TV/cable data yesterday - very interesting stuff. Good point about the TV industry biz model fading - I wonder what'll come next? Nice 10-fer yesterday.

Janie B, I'm not painting our exterior (which is cedar shakes, left natural), but will be painting the window trim this summer. We have a ranch house, so it'll require limited ladder work, which'll help. Can't wait to join you and your new furniture on Thanksgiving! Big grin

Henrun, I'm sorry you're back on the DL. I hope the needle guy helps you get back in shape quickly.

Sounds like a tough workout yesterday, Ribs, with the EFD and all. Take it a little easier today.

Twocat, have fun with your RP today! Take a look at the Manchester Marathon in NH, and also the one in Hampton, NH. Manchester has a more "challenging" course. Hampton is along the coast and has nothing worse than small/moderate rollers.

Busy lady, as always, Evanflein. Good luck with the MSR on Saturday night (past my bed time - could I wear pj's if I come?). I hope your garden survives the heat.

Last night's meeting went fairly quick, so I got home in time to grab a bite to eat and share some nice time with DW before heading to sleep. I was awake at 3:30 this morning, up at 3:50, and out the door at 4:05. It was a gorgeous morning: dry, very light breeze, 53 refreshing degrees. After my 1/2-mi warm-up, I decided that I felt like having some fartlek fun. I went 5.9 miles, and pushed myself in miles 2, 4, and the last .9. I was in the low 11s for those segments, which isn't race pace, but I felt like I was moving along nicely. I signed up for a local 5K this Saturday, so maybe I should have taken it easier today. The town's rec director organized the race, and will be running in it. My goal is to beat her. We'll see.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Dave. Hope the health issues continue to improve.

Lots of gremlins on the website this morning. I couldn't get to my log.  I assume it's due to Eric's upgrade efforts.

Some wild pond hockey last night, eh?

EZ 5 for me

Be safe. Be kind.

Today's challenge is can you post on RA?  Eric is apparently working on the site.  Assuming this post appears my next challenge will be to upload my run today.  Just in case this post does appear it was 14 miles about 6 of which was with my former training partner.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I couldn't get on to thank you all for your kind words yesterday, so here I am today, saying, "aw, shucks."

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Dave.  Maybe I'll go get that shingles vaccine after all.  Presumably all of us who have had chickenpox are vulnerable, yes?

Will run nice and easy tonight and then go ride with the roadies tomorrow morning.  A few of us have a really stupid century ride plotted out (100 times around a 1-mile circuit in an urban park, starting at dawn) for Saturday morning, so I will have to very deliberately keep it nice and easy tomorrow.

Saw my physio today, who gave me a really hard time when she saw the damage I've done to myself crashing into trees on the mountain bike recently.  "Why are you doing this to yourself?" she asked.

"Well, when your 17-year-old *wants* to hang out with you, this is what you have to do."

"Yes," she said.  "This is what you have to do."

...W0W........line was down today

............and speaking of having a Good Grasp of The Obvious.........

Overuse injuries in runners are a good example of the individual interacting strenuously with the environment. Problems can arise from either the environment (extrinsic factors) or the individual’s biomechanics (intrinsic factors). Rehabilitation needs to consider both sources of structural stress and strain, and then apply cost-effective treatments. Immediate treatment will include modifications of training and improvements in muscle balance – stretching of tight muscles and strengthening of weakened areas. For long-term improvement, biomechanical alignment problems will need to be addressed – often with the addition of custom-fitted sport orthotics. Failure to recognize these intrinsic complicating factors will result in a patient with recurring, and possibly variable complaints. A comprehensive approach to rehabilitation of running injuries provides the best hope for many years of recreational enjoyment.

...........found this on a rehab site.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

henrun, sorry to hear about the recurrence of you back troubles.  I hope you can get it resolved quickly.

Nice long runs for Tramps and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was just a light breeze.  I got in 10 miles at an 11:03 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

My favorite line: "...complicating factors will result in a patient with recurring, and possibly variable complaints."

Now there's no way we'd ever hear any possibly variable complaints around here, right TW? we seem to always focus on the same damn stuff! Smile

Seems like the upgrade has done odd things to some folks' avatars. I did check out the techie forum and the upgrade thread, poor Eric has been through a lot!

Mustang Sally, yes, sometimes we just need to do things, but please dear, be careful! I've been enjoying the stories though, and more than a little envious of the time you're getting with your DS, even with all the crashes.

Jay, if I were to wake up at 3:30, I'd roll over and try to get back to sleep! I'd do the mental countdown thing "ok, I still have 2:30 hours I can sleep before the alarm..."

Another nice day here, but the peak heat seems to have passed. Today will "only" be mid-80's but we still have "red flag" warnings because the humidity gets down to less than 13% in the afternoons. I haven't run for two days now and am feeling like I want to get out there. I'll do some easy miles along the river after work.

Hey Holly, I thought you'd like this: I ran over 84 miles in three days, and came home 3 lbs heavier than when I left. It's just not fair.

...since

erika ALWAYS strenously interacts with the environment,

I'll take that as a Yes.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Singer who runs a smidge

So yesterday, 12 people posted, but 38 people read the daily.  Would the other 26 people please let us know who you are. Smile  The forum is monitored by the NSA and they already know who you are. Black eye

I am one of these.  I love reading about y'all's adventures and runs, but I rarely step forward and say anything, mostly because I don't actually run, so I feel kind of fake.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Henrun

...W0W........line was down today

............and speaking of having a Good Grasp of The Obvious.........

Overuse injuries in runners are a good example of the individual interacting strenuously with the environment. Problems can arise from either the environment (extrinsic factors) or the individual’s biomechanics (intrinsic factors). Rehabilitation needs to consider both sources of structural stress and strain, and then apply cost-effective treatments. Immediate treatment will include modifications of training and improvements in muscle balance – stretching of tight muscles and strengthening of weakened areas. For long-term improvement, biomechanical alignment problems will need to be addressed – often with the addition of custom-fitted sport orthotics. Failure to recognize these intrinsic complicating factors will result in a patient with recurring, and possibly variable complaints. A comprehensive approach to rehabilitation of running injuries provides the best hope for many years of recreational enjoyment.

...........found this on a rehab site.........

I've been running for 40 years now-despite my "variable complaints" I've had (and hope to have more) years of recreational enjoymentSmile

an amazing likeness

All right Dave, I'll bite. I read the daily most days and seldom post...probably twice/year.  There's one of the 26 "readers" accounted for.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I've had trouble uploading my run today, don't know if that's due to the website upgrade or because I was trying to upload from the Garmin FR10. I know that particular model doesn't sync with DailyMile, and while it used to work fine here in RA, maybe that's a fallout of the upgrade? Hmm, either that or I need to re-up my dues here, been seeing those pesky ads for several weeks now...

5.35 miles today, nice and easy in my Hokas, aka my recovery shoes. Yesterday's naked 7.5 miles felt like they were too fast, but since they were naked (i.e. untimed) I'll never know for sure. My coach has me doing one naked run per week, just to see if she can put me over the edge make me be more attuned to the run rather than the gadgets. Eventually she would like me to run a race watchless. Yeah, and I want to win the lottery too.

Spent some time on the floor with my foam roller this morning, before I went out for my run. Then in the last mile or so, this tune lodged itself in my brain: "Roll, roll, roll your butt, shins and thighs too.... then go out for a five mile jog, that's all you have to do!"

Well, I don't think there are 26 lurkers, because I might check the thread more than once a day, and I suppose some others do the same.

No run, what a slacker, but that extra sleep last night was Oh So Good.  Now it's raining and I'm not feeling very inspired.  Found a great job to apply for, slim chances in this job climate but I was excited to see a job that describes what I am looking for.  Rumor is the money at my job will run out next March, 6 of us on the chopping block, so I'd better get looking.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly, I thought you'd like this: I ran over 84 miles in three days, and came home 3 lbs heavier than when I left. It's just not fair.

Oh, that is so me….however, I suspect that some of that is fluid retention in your muscles and may dissipate.

MustangSally – add me to those who really missed you, and are seriously happy about your return.  I still remember things you said years ago, you have such a way with words.   Your intelligence and humor are wonderfully entertaining and yet heartwarming.  I hope someday to meet you at a race, although I could never keep up with you….

Dave –  Big grin  And I was one of  the readers, but unable to post.

Jay – you are up SO EARLY!  Do you crash and burn about 2pm?

I was unable to get online last night, and today when I read Wed. daily and today, I was unable to post - error messages.

Anyway, 7 miles for me yesterday and 8 miles today with 10 x 100m striders.  Almost 3 weeks since the 50K, I think I should start some speedwork, but at the end of my run today I had rather sharp pain in what I believe to be my peroneal tendon (sp?).  I limped badly for a block, then started trotting, then it was gone, just like that.  Must be getting old.

Today is my 16th wedding anniversary, and I completely forgot, until DH reminded me last night.  I feel a bit terrible, but he didn't seem too offended.  What with our trip to Hocking Hills last weekend, DD's end of season softball tournament going on this week with 3 evening games, a jr golf scramble for the kids today and jr golf league for DD tomorrow (which I coordinate rides because I have to work), golf league tomorrow night with DS since DH has to take DD to the softball game, and my 30th HS reunion stuff this weekend, somehow I overlooked the anniversary.   It's good to be busy, but sometimes it all collides a bit....Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."