Masters Running

40'w On the Run - Wk of 0224/08 (Read 378 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels, it's good to know you can be there for your mom. (hugs) Arla

Ex runner

Saw doc this afternoon about my knee. Gave me a prescription for a stronger anti-inflammatory (but the pharmacy is out of it 'til Monday), recommended I wear one of those neoprene knee wraps when exercising, and gave me some knee strengthening exercises. No more squats. Said squats are one of the hardest exercises for knees. Those are out permanently. The other possibility is that 9, 10 years ago when I fell and tore up my ankle really bad, I could've put a small tear in my meniscus. If the strengthening exercises I do on my own don't do the trick, then she'd probably recommend PT for awhile. So . . . . . again a physical problem comes up right before a scheduled event. I really don't freaking get it . . . at all. I have not had one single event before which I haven't got hurt, got sick - something. It's really irritating. To think positively, I will continue icing, using ibu through the weekend, and will modify my downhill running by keeping it to a zig zag pattern, which helps alleviate pressure on the quads and knees. Tomorrow's trail run will tell the tale. I will run at my pace and not worry about keeping up with Karen and Bill, and we'll see how it goes. 'Nite, all!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sorry to hear about the knee - GIANT BUMMER!! Angry However, I respectfully disagree with the good doctor about squats. IMO, if you go down slowly, PAUSE at the bottom of the movement, and then return to standing, they're just fine. The problem is that the reversal of direction (huge amount of inertia to overcome) with weight puts a huge amount of stress on the tendons and ligaments right at the point where the anterior thigh musculature (front part of the thigh, collectively) is extended and thus at its weakest. When the muscles are compromised due to their extension, the connective tissues have to take over. The problem with connective tissues taking over is that they do not cope well with being forced to stretch as muscles are (muscle is "viscoelastic", it returns to its original shape - vs. if you have a dislocation and don't see to it right away, the ligaments don't return to their original length and thus the risk of future dislocation is increased). Hope that makes sense (takes off physiologist's cap and steps off soapbox). If anyone wants to debate this further, I'm all ears! I just get my knickers in a wad when some MD says this or that exercise is inherently "bad", unless it's swimming with Great White sharks! Also, the prescription dose of ibu is 1000 mg, you might try that - or experiment with naproxen, which is a newer generation drug. That's assuming you don't have any contraindications (liver/kidney/GI issues, taking an ACE inhibitor, etc...). Sorry for being so wordy. Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

We been on the run and on the fly this week so have been mostly a lurker here but home now anyway. I got in a slow 3.1 this morn. Too much good life this week, hopefully I will get back on track now. I got some catching up to do with reading all the posts from the past week. Have good runs gals and guys!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

...And I do.

Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. Life can get so overwhelming sometimes! Jewels, I am so sorry about your Stepdad. I'm glad he didn't suffer for a long time as that is the worse. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I was doing really well on my running at the first of the year and then I got sick. I had been planning to run in the Trinidad to Clam Beach run on the beginning of Feb. but I totally lost all momentum. I started February recommitted to getting the miles in and not letting everyone elses schedule ruin my focus. So February was awesome! Yay! I decided to sign up for the Avenue of the Giants (only the 10k) -- Leslie will you and Karen be running in that one? Sounds like you are all ready for the warmer weather as I am too. I've been running outside finally and it is so WONDERFUL! ~Shell
              Shell - Glad to see you back! Nope, we're not running the Ave this year. Pretty much sticking to trail runs from now on. Arla - I always appreciate other people's opinions. The other thing we discussed was my quads being overdeveloped compared to my hamstrings, which can also cause problems. I've been working on my hamstring and butt muscles, but not as much as I should. Re ibu, I have to be careful because of previous stomach problems. I've taken Arthrotec in the past with no difficulties, which is the prescrip I'll pick up Monday. Until then, it's ice and ibu. I didn't take any yesterday because I wanted to see exactly where my knee was bothering me and what bothers it. Getting up and down from a seated position at work all day didn't help, and it soon felt tight under the knee cap. Basically, any kind of extended bent position bothers it. As for running today, I bought a knee wrap with side stability bars (sounds technical, but it's not). I'll wear that today, keep my modified downhill running in place, and see what happens. If it really starts to bother, I'll stop. And then of course, ice, ice, baby when I'm done! Have great runs today, everyone!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - It's odd that your quads are overdeveloped, it's usually the other way 'round with runners - must be all that good hill work youve done. And....EWWW - I hate working my hammies. Especially those darn standing leg curls, they are not for the week of ego. Are you allowed to wash your meds down with some margaritas? After all, while you're getting ice out of the freezer, might as well toss some in a glass... Wink r2 - glad you had too much fun! It's good for you from time to time! Shell - welcome back from being sick and generally busy with life stuff. When is Avenue of the Giants? Sounds like a lovely run. Arla

Ex runner

Arla - My quads got overdeveloped from running, hill work, trails, squats . . . and very little hamstring work. Before we figured out what was going on, my hamstrings would be so stiff and painful after my runs. It hurt to even sit for very long, and I'd get up and move around like an old lady until things loosened up again. Drugs and margaritas - - maaaayyyybbbbbeeeee Today's run - Ugh! We went on the most technical trails (6 and 17) twice, in opposite directions each time, and I was dying toward the end. Looking back, I definitely didn't fuel myself well over the past couple of days. We were suppose to run 2:45 today, but after 2:30, I was done. I was nauseated, my legs were killing me, it sucked. And for the first time running trails . . . I fell. Hooked my toe on the edge of one of the so-called "stairs" on 6 and went down on all fours. And the trails are so wet and muddy, I just kept sliding to the right. Didn't hurt anything but my pride, but I thought that was pretty good - once in two years. Karen went down, also, and Bill almost bit it . . . all on the same trail. I was also told I'm taking too big of steps, especially when power walking the hills, which uses more energy and is harder on the knees. So now I gotta work on baby steps - 28-30 left (or right) foot strikes in 20 seconds. I can do it when I'm concentrating, but once my brain starts wandering, I go back to the too big strides. Sigh - so much to work on! Well, I need to go eat something else. The nausea hasn't quite subsided totally. The shower helped, though! And I know I definitely smell better Cool.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BTY

Hi Everyone! No run for me today, but my 10-year-old daughter's "Odyssey of the Mind" team won their division, and are going on to the New York State Championships at the end of the month! Woo Hoo! Best part is that she and her friend are on a team made up of 8th graders competing against other 8th (and 7th) graders - and the two of them are just 4th graders, allowed on the team because they needed numbers. We secretly feared she'd be out of her league and (secretly secretly feared) that she might embarrass herself, or her teammates, but they obviously did GREAT!!!! On to the STATES! bty

Top 'O the World!

Haaahhh.....snowing again..we're in the 4"-8" zone (they changed it sometime overnight from "possibly up to an inch... :rollSmile....w/some "blizzard conditions" (ie: wind for those of you who don't experience this particular variety of Winter extravaganza!).....the dogs don't see the problem & have "eaten" a coupla "personal effects" in open rebellion!! thankfully, nothing terribly valuable/expensive! Tongue why oh why did I ever start them running?!?! Now, they "stalk" me throughout the house - until we've accomplished said migration Roll eyes ....I dunno, may need to dig out the ski goggles & chase them around the neighborhood - IF wind gusts settle down a bit! {{{{{{ Leslie's knees!}}}}}}} I have some hot stones & arnica oil that will help take the tension off said knee caps! oooh, & I'm sure the tight hammies would like 'em too! ** hint, hint!! ** ......ummm, my knees protest deep lunges.....not that I've been terribly dedicated to them ever! but most especially since knee damage yrs ago (they be crunchy!), whenst P.T. told me that I was "done running....." Ya, I've come to learn that lots of health care professionals aren't necessarily pro-running/kinesiology-physiology majors....I have a new co-worker whose chiro chronically tells her to stop running - mostly 'cause she "doesn't have a runner's body!?!?" ....she is 32, lean - if not svelt, has been running since she was 8 yrs old...both her parents, particularly her dad, are distance runners/marathoners, & she herself has done several marathons.....@ this point in her life, she is what I'd call one of those "Zen Runners..." no gear, no training plan - solo, meditative long runs Smile sounds wonderful to me! Hey Shell! Great to see ya again!
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group