Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 08/12 (Read 273 times)

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. (Judy Garland)

Rest day for me, however, as of today I'm getting back into core/strength training on Tuesdays and Thursday.  There was a lot of "damage" over the past 4 months with no ST!  Arggh!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hello?  Anybody?  Ferris Bueller?  Ferris Bueller?

About 40 minutes of core/strength training this a.m., which was abruptly interrupted when I got a bad cramp on the left side of my low back (right in the love handle area  Evil).  Took forever to work out.  Could it be my body's way of telling me I've been a moron for not keeping up with this part of my workouts?  More than likely.

Also finally posted my race report in a separate thread in this forum.  It's about as long as the race. Smile

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - wow, that was a quick recovery!! Agree with you that it can be hard to be honest about finding your easy pace. Have you seen the movie "Unbreakable"? There are lots of shots of people like Geoff Roes and Anton Krupicka jogging easily, they really do have the appearance of being able to do that forever - it's a nice example. If you haven't seen it ping me and I'll loan you the DVD. 

Jim - sounds like you're hanging in there as well as can be expected with the conditions. Nice work on keeping at it with your mileage. 

Joe - so glad to hear you're liking Nobby's program. I've saved myself copies of everything and plan to take another shot at it sometime. 

Did the Salinas Valley Half Marathon on Saturday, can't recommend that one enough, nice course and organization. Free photos, nice touch! Pulled off a nice marathon-paced run despite the hilly course and steady headwind. 

Ex runner

I have the DVD and have watched it probably four times (Blush).  I thought I had an easy pace, but it became obvious running with Kate that's not the case.  Something to work on, and it may be that I need to go back to wearing my HR monitor.

Nice HM for you.  Photos to post here??

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Ha! Should have known that you have it already. 

Nice RR on your blog, btw! The photo of everyone at the start line is hilarious.

Here's a shot that gives you a good idea of the surroundings.

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

*crickets*...

More heat for us lately, after a couple days spent near the coast enjoying temps in the 60s it sure was a shock to run in triple digits again. I keep telling myself that heat training makes us stronger. 

Ex runner

Great picture, Arla.

And we seem to be the only ones around these days.

We are actually seeing the sun today!  Wow!!  Seriously, folks, we have had the worst weather.  It's been so overcast and drizzly all summer - completely blah.  Even the hardened Humboldt County-ers have been bemoaning the fact we haven't had hardly any sun for the past two months.  Hopefully, we'll get our usual good weather in Sept/Oct, but who knows.

Turned off my alarm just before it buzzed at 4:30, then promptly fell back to sleep for two whole hours.  Needless to say, I did not get my miles in this a.m and will have to do them after work.  Ick.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - we need to trade places, I'll take some cloudy drizzly blah if you take blazing hot sun. Smile

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

Looking at 108 for the high today, that's too much even for me. 

Jogged over to the local HS track to get in 4 x 1000m repeats at 4:30 am. Actually ended up being an enjoyable workout. 

Ex runner

Sounds like you HAVE to be out at 4:30 in that kinda heat.  Ugh!  I'll let you keep it. Smile

About 50 minutes of core and upper body strength training this a.m.  I need to figure out a better core routine because with the exception of the singled legged bicycles I do on the stability ball, I'm don't feel a whole lot.  Interesting considering I haven't done hardly any core specific training over the last four months.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Ladies,

I'll stick my head in here for a quick peek around. 

Les, I'm with Arla.  I"ll trade you a little sun for a little overcast and drizzle. 

Arla, is that you in the picture?  Grapes in the background?  And yes heat training will make you stronger.  Not that I've any experience with that, but that's the word on the streets.  Gotta be careful though.

Leslie.....I'm the king of easy pace......if I can be so bold to say.

latr friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Leslie.....I'm the king of easy pace......if I can be so bold to say.

Maybe I should come learn from you!  Good to hear from you, Ev.  We miss you around here.  How's the music been lately?

I intended to get up and run this a.m., but my dad is coming so I can take him to get his back shots, and The Hub went to an AA meeting.  Since Dad doesn't have a key and is getting here at any moment (it's 6:20 a.m.), guess who has to stick around?  Will run after work tonight if my resolve doesn't leave me.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

A sweaty 10 miles out at the McKay Tract, and unfortunately, I didn't have my blanket and towel to sit on.  I really need to get seat covers.  Didn't see another soul until almost the end.

Tomorrow we do about a mile of bush-whacking aka trail clearing out in Trinidad.  Shorty will be weed whacking, Karen and I will be chopping at the pampas grass.

I'm off to bed -

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

ev! How's it going? It's hot AND muggy where you are, I suppose you're also an early-riser? Heat definitely teaches you the meaning of easy pace. 

Leslie - Good for you for getting out there in the evening. You sure are hitting it hard so soon after your 50, way to recover!! That means you have a much faster 50 miler in you, right???  Sad to hear that you have a pampas grass problem up there as well. The central coast has a big problem, between Cambria and Big Sur it's just awful. Matt Fitzgerald's "Brain Training for Runners" has a unique core routine, quite different from any I've seen online, you might want to check it out. Or maybe your core strength is just amazing. Big grin

I need to log-stalk Joe and see how he's doing with Nobby's workouts this week. 

Hope the rest of you are enjoying your weekends so far. 

School starts Monday already! I have four new part-timers to get up to speed, one of them just moved here YESTERDAY from Oregon with her husband and toddler, talk about hitting the ground running! 

Late night run last night with temps at 104 when I hit the door (hey that rhymes). A new record for me, I'm gonna run like a Kenyan after this, haha. Paper says at least another week of 100++. 

Ex runner

Leslie -  Matt Fitzgerald's "Brain Training for Runners" has a unique core routine, quite different from any I've seen online, you might want to check it out. Or maybe your core strength is just amazing. Big grin

Uh, that would be a negative. Blush  And I hope a have a faster 40 in me.

You ran when it was 104 outside????  You are one tough chickee poo.

After 5.5 hours of bush whacking, we were all too pooped to pop.  Shorty spent the entire time on the business end of a weed whacker, while Karen and I hacked at pamas grass, berry vines, and alder trees.  I predict that tomorrow I won't be able to raise my arms and my hands are going to be sore, sore, sore.  The arms are pretty cut up, but at least I was smart enough to wear pants, even though I sweated like a frigging pig.

A before pic, and this wasn't even the worst spot:

Partially After:

Shorty weed whacked probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a mileage of trail.

A path through pampas grass:

My weed whacking hero:

The Work Crew:

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance