Masters Running

running w/ vs running w/out ipod (Read 358 times)

Good catch, slowgino. I didn't see that response to Tammy. I'll start the hijack... Fussy, more information please! If you're that breathless while running, something's up. Either with your lung capacity or with your selected pace. You should be able to carry on a conversation at most race distances, even a 5k (thought not as easily as a half marathon, of course). Now as to whether you want to carry on a conversation, I'm not one to ask (Ms. Leave Me Alone that I usually am).
      The Saint! Where were you when I needed you before admitting defeat??? Confused As for the breathing, I have been told I should be able to talk, but it's never happened. Perhaps my lung capacity is below par, and maybe it's just my personality (same as soundrunner) but I am gasping a lot and have no desire or ability to talk (hence the musical comfort). I feel great and my heart rate is low and my recovery is speedy so I am not concerned. And it's definitely not my pace, which is slooowwww. But thanks for caring!
        Maybe try some lung expanding exercises. Unfortunately, most of the population uses a very small percentage of their lung capacity. Singers are given great exercises to increase lung capacity. Even if you're tone deaf, you can try these: 1. Lie flat on the floor and take a deep breath in for 2 counts, then exhale for 2 counts. Concentrate on not moving your chest, only your abdomen. Now stand up and do the same thing, not moving your chest or shoulders. Can you feel the difference? It's easier to fill your lungs when lying down than standing. the goal is to get the same result standing. 2. Stand up right and pick a high note pitch and sing it. Now bend over at the waist, take a deep breath, and sing the same note. Can you feel the difference? When breathing out or singing, you want to push from your abdomen. If you watch professional singers, especially opera singers, you will note (1) rarely do their chests and shoulders move and (2) you don't hear them take breaths. The goal is to eventually not have your chest or shoulders move when breathing and to not make any sound when taking a breath in. I realize the "no sound when breathing" thing isn't going to work when running Wink , but I hope this all make sense.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

You should be able to carry on a conversation at most race distances, even a 5k (thought not as easily as a half marathon, of course).
          Shocked Uh, not me. In fact, I just did an 8K this weekend and a friend who was volunteering at the race came by on her bike with words of encouragement (for everyone, not just me). I could barely get a "thanks" out. Part of that is breathing, part of it is concentration. I totally zone out in races--almost like I have tunnel vision--and am oblivious to surroundings beyond the course. Even though I'm not going very fast, I'm concentrating on pace, breathing, strategy, etc. Running a race with an ipod is inconceivable to me. I've got enough voices in my head already. However, I did notice Shuffle prices have been recently cut ($49 1GB, $69 2GB) and I may finally pick one up--mostly to plug into speakers in my dusty workshop but also to experiment with on training runs. Maybe I'll change my (I)tune. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.