Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 4/20/08 (Read 498 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... I may not do a tally for the coming week, or otherwise I will be late with it, since I will be in Boston from Sat-Tues, and won't be bringing a laptop. If someone else wants to do the tally for next week, feel free to jump in. Let's see if I got this tally right.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Mainerunnuh61.63 Wow – that’s a big week, one week out from Boston.
    Breger60.25 Amazing progression 20-miler!
    Jim2431560 Thanks for the kind words!
    SirWalksalot 55 Yowza! That’s quite a jump!
    Hermosaboy50.1 Ready for Boston!
    CNYrunner49 Fewer miles but some tough intervals still.
    Tallrunner43 Coming back strong.
    Slojim41.710-lb weightloss last month – wow!
    Pfriese41.3 Solid running, Paul.
    DfromBG40.1 Course PR at Columbus HM – well done!
    Perch39.3 Fewer miles, but tough paces.
    Ultrachick38.8 Running coach workshop - excellent!
    Holly38.2 Tapering, hopeful
    PJH37 Another runner enjoying the taper...
    Biketm35.1 And 175 cycling miles.
    Evenflein34.7 Crazy travel week.
    Wa5yom29? Just trying to stay healthy.
    Twocat26.3 Still healing up.
    Predawnrunner24.1 Another runner enjoying the taper.
    Busiman22 Heading into taper just in time to let the headcold heal up.
    Here's my plan for the coming week - like many of you, I'll be needing a Free Pass this week.
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday00 Some core work, but not much
    Tuesday5 6Easy
    Wednesday5 5.4 Easy, but with 10 striders
    Thursday5 6 All at MP
    Friday0 X Rest
    Saturday0 X Rest
    Sunday1-2 3 If time allows before the Olympic Trials.
    Total20.5 X

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

HermosaBoy

I will definitely need a pass for this week! S – 8.4 including 5k race. M – 4 in AM and massage in PM T – 0 in AM and 6 in PM (includes 1 mile and ½ mile time trial) W – 0 in AM and 7 in PM (includes 2 @ MGRP) T – 0 in AM and 4 in PM F – 0 in AM and 4 in PM S – 4 in AM along the Charles and Sox in PM  Right around 37 total miles. The next week should get me back to 60 – but most will occur in one day. ;-)

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Ditto on the pass for this week! Big grin M – Rest T – 5 Miles - 5.03 Miles - 36:37 (7:17) Avg HR 147 - 7:28 - 7:20 - 7:17 - 7:16 - 7:07 - :09 - Sunny & 59 Cool W – 7 Miles w/2 @ MGRP - 7.07 miles - Easy with 2 miles at marathon pace - 59:04 - (8:22) Avg HR 130 T – 5 Miles - 3.1 (5K course) 24:02 - (7:46) Avg HR 138 - 2 Miles - 17:19 - (8:31) Avg HR 127 F – 5 Miles w/6 x 100 meter strides - 5.02 Miles w/6 x 100 meter strides - 9:08 - 8:51 - 8:40 - 8:40 - 7:35 - :09 (8:35) - avg HR - 131 S – 4 Miles Easy S – 3 Miles Easy Right around 29 total miles. -- So far -- 22.25 Miles The next week should get me back to about 60 as well – like Hermosaboy most will occur in one day! Wink
        PJH

Actuals for the week ... will also need a pass.
          DayPlanActualCommentary
          Monday6.05.7Ez pace ~ 10:00
          Tuesday7.07.13 mi @ MP ~ 8:30 ...feeling okay
          Wednesday3.00Decided not to run today
          Thursday5.06.2Ez pace @ 9:57
          Friday00Planned rest day
          Saturday00Planned rest day
          Sunday3.03.0Ez pace
          Total24.022.0
          PJ
            Travel Plans later in the week, I'll see what I can do. M--7.64, 1:07:58, 144/156 T--6.2, untimed. AM run. W--13.88, 2:16:42, hilly, painful after-work MLR 162/136 Th--6.27, 1:03:21, easy AM run, 153/121 F--In Philly with the kids S-- 5.73, untimed, 'round the streets of West Philly. S--9.88, 1:27:10, 167/139, last 3 miles at MP, ave 148 Total: 49.6, just a wee shy of fifty Good luck on the 21st Everybody!
              My laptop is ailing so this will be the most I post for a few days....typing at the desktop terminal that also serves the needs of a pre-teen and a computer savvy spouse. Probably just as well as I get deeper into the taper...time to get quiet and into the zone. Have a great week everyone! 4/14--off 4/15--8 miles with 2 at mp---9 with 2 at mp 4/16--4 miles---4 mile pace run 4/17--off--travel and dinner with Kathrine Switzer and Roger Robinson---for real!---2.5 on treadmill and then amazing evening! 4/18--6 miles with strides---6 miles with strides---had to hold back on speed. Rockin'! 4/19--4 miles 4/20--not sure yet/3 if anything 21-25 miles for the week---need that pass too CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Holly - Have a good week preparing for the big race...you ARE going to do just fine Smile Mon - 11 mile tempo run - last 5 miles at 7:30 pace - felt super strong Tues - 7 easy miles - had to hold myself back because of how good my legs felt Cool Weds - 42 miles cycling, with some super hard efforts with roadies Thurs - 6 easy miles - Feeling yucky with a cold Angry Fri - 3 easy miles Sat - 16 miles easy - felt a little better Sun - 7.5 easy miles Total - 50.5 miles Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Free passes all around... might not even make 20 this week! Having the race on Monday makes this week look really small!
                  Day Plan Actual Comments
                  Monday "Rest" Day0 Miles
                  Tuesday4 EZ5 milesOn the treadmill to avoid the #*%! ice
                  Wednesday6 miles w/3@MP6 Miles4 at or better than MP...
                  Thursday4 miles Tempo5.37 milesAll at MP, 2 miles @ 2% incline on TM
                  Friday2 miles? milesFlight to Boston leaves at 12:45 pm
                  SaturdayRest Day0 milesBoston stuff
                  Sunday2 miles? miles
                  Totals:18 Miles? miles actual running total
                  pfriese

Holly, Thanks for the 40/40 thread. I'll need a pass this week too as the taper has begun for the OKC Memorial Marathon on April 27.
                    DayPlanActualComment
                    Mondayrest dayrest day - done
                    Tuesday6-8 miles 6.0 miles - done9:15/mile avg pace
                    Wednesday7-9 miles 7.9 miles - done 9:25/mile avg pace
                    Thursdayrest day rest day - done
                    Friday3-5 miles 5.5 miles - done 9:29/mile avg pace
                    Saturday5K race (?)2.2 mile warm-up 5K race9:30/mile avg pace 7:28/mile avg pace for a new PB of 23:10
                    Sunday12 miles 10.9 miles - done9:56/mile avg pace
                    Total32-35 miles35.6 milesDONE
                    Paul
                    busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks Holly! I'll take one of those free passes too. Maybe you should print up a whole pad for this week. :-) M - rest - just core work T - intervals - 5 x 1k at 5k pace W - 2ez T - 4ez F - 3ez S - ? S - ? Total - not sure, don't care :-P
                      -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                      also on Twitter

Ultrachick

I hate tapering! It's highly overrated! Monday-4 Tuesday-3 Wednesday- 6 Thursday- Friday- Saturday- Sunday- I'm not going to follow my plan-As a coach, just do as I say, not as I do! Wink Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Holly - I'm taking your advice and recording distance for a week. Park maps have trail mileages, it might be a bit low on routes where I had to estimate based on pace at known HR and erred on the conservative side. I'll need a pass for next week, though (travelling 3 days and recovering from this week...) Too much trouble recording distance until I get that capability on my HRM. All of you going to Boston make me envious. When I was 40, I ran my PR (2:57) by holding it right at my limit... but the BQ time for 40 year olds was 2:50, and I knew I had no chance of shaving off another 7 minutes, so I gave up ever even thinking about Boston. Good luck, and have a memorable experience. --------- my week (I did too much - but I'll take it easy next week) -------- Mon 4/14 14.5 easy , park trails Tue 4/15 5.2 easier , random route Wed 4/16 13.5 easy , park trails Thu 4/17 5.3 easy , roads+hs track Fri 4/18 15.7 easy , park trails Sat 4/19 8.0 easy AM roads+bridges; 6.7 easy PM park trails Sun 4/20 4.8 easier , recovery run - roads+hs track Week Total 73.7 miles Hey, would this qualify me for a 70/70 thread Smile ?
                            The plan is: S - 21 (including half marathon racei in Montreal) M- Rest (spinning and light core) T - 8 (intervals) W - Rest T - 10 F - 8 tempo run with faster stuff sandwiched in the miiddle third S - rest Total - 47 Thanks Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

This is the first of three taper weeks. Planning on some MP runs and a 5K race Saturday.
                              DayPlanActualComments
                              MondayPlanned Rest Day0 milesDone!
                              Tuesday6 miles GA6.1 miles9:12 min/mile pace
                              Wednesday10 miles GA10.1 miles8:50 min/mile pace, last 5 at MP
                              Thursday5 miles0 milesBusiness trip to NY
                              Friday3 miles6.0 miles56 minutes treadmill
                              Saturday6 miles total with 5K race6.15 miles5K 22:53 2nd AG.
                              Sunday2 Hours easy13.55 miles8:50 overall, last 4.5 at MP
                              Totals:43 miles41.8 miles
                              Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM #7877

The week after the Columbus Distance Classic Half Marathon and under 3 weeks to the Indianapolis Half Marathon... Mon - 6 M. Tues - 9 M. - Satisfied with the effort of this run. Wed - 6.5 M. - Persistant soreness in knee cut run short. Thur - 8 M. Fri - 12 M. Sat - Off Sun - 9 M. Total - 50.5 M.

Philippians 4:13.