Masters Running

Wednesday 2-14 Daily (Read 37 times)

My solution to the change issue is to tell the cashier what I expect back. I will say something like I can give you 27 cents so that I just get a dime back. So far that seems to have worked.

No run or elliptical for me today. I decided sleep was more important before trudging off to my classes this morning.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...yeah,

I've probably had to give back a Pound of Change.

..........once when the power was down at a local restaurant they wouldn't let anyone leave,

finally

the manager said

''Well, we've got one of those Old Credit Card Imprinters if you trust it''

I said '' Lady, we INVENTED those Old Credit Card Imprinters''

...........we were the only ones that left............the Rest of 'em just kept sitting there

===========

...but I digress.......

50-min x-bike with some standing

...........Pickles goes to her Dr tomorrow, so keep her in Your Prayers.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

My solution to the change issue is to tell the cashier what I expect back. I will say something like I can give you 27 cents so that I just get a dime back. So far that seems to have worked.

You are right, and I was sort of asking as I was handing the cashier the money. I could have been more clear.  Now I feel like the old curmudgeon who complains about the young folks for no good reason.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Healthy Vibes for Pickles}}}

SteveP - Congratulations on your 20 years of sobriety birthday - that is quite an accomplishment!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prayers for Pickles!!

SteveP - Happy Birthday!!!!  20 years.  That's definitely something to  about.

Now I feel like the old curmudgeon who complains about the young folks for no good reason.

Oh, there's reason.  Just like the old curmudgeons that complained about us when we were young. 

Dave - You also cracked me up regarding Valentines.  We don't do anything for each other, either.  Haven't since probably our first couple of years of marriage.  BUT - Last weekend, The Hub and I each commented that we should have a first aid kit in our respective vehicles, especially him, so I ordered two and got them today.  AND he broke his microwaveable coffee mug and has been using mine (horrors!).  There was a mug in the cupboard here at work that hasn't been used since I've been here, I tested it and it doesn't get hot when 'waved.  So I am quite lovingly giving him a first aid kit and a used coffee mug for Valentines.  Romance abounds in our household. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

One jay-mile to the bus stop for the fitness center I’ve kind of come to like.  Unfortunately, pool closures today so did full hour of the Low Impact Senior Fit that I usually do the first half of from 8:30-9:00am before the full Aquafit from 9-10am. Spinning tomorrow. Yippee. 5:45-6:45am - not so yippee.
              No-Valentine-Present, always-good-for-a-few-chuckles Dave: I'd like to read Cindy's version of V-Day. However, don't try weeds.

Tom - have a wonderful Valentine’s Day with Pickles. Tell her to get back to you as quickly as possible, . . . we sure can’t keep you under control.
              Anzio - it’s about time you showed up again.  However, speaking of your DW, were you able to overcome your skimpy training and injury enough to ensure DW got a marathon PR at the Portland Marathon last October or are you looking elsewhere?.  
              Tramps/Dave -  I know as little about ice hockey as I do about soccer and the Seattle Sounders soccer team, namely a bunch of animated guys zipping back-and-forth with mouths agape and little evidence on the scoreboard that it was doing any good but count me in as a fan of whatever hockey team shows up, especially with the SuperSonics long gone to Oklahoma (after the new owner assured everyone they’d be staying), the Mariners still living in the past and regaling in Ken Griffey, Jr. as some sort of hero instead of the bum who thumbed his nose at Seattle and got out under the cover of night right after a new stadium was built with his home runs in mind. to say nothing of the Seahawks seemingly unable to overcome the curse of mediocrity, if not stupidity, since ignoring one of the best running backs in the league at the time in Superbowl XLIX (Marshawn Lynch) and having QB Russell Wilson waste first down by throwing a game-ending interception to Malcolm Butler with 25 seconds on the clock and only 18" to go the goal line for a certain win over the hated Patriots who I know like more than the hawks, especially after they lost Superbowl LII.  Season tickets already going on sale for hockey as a show of support to the Ice Hockey Federation . . . . . . whoops - $14,000!  Yikes.

ps - don’t get the mis-impression that I am disgusted with Seattle Sports but fitness clubs are better than they are.

pps - Seattle Freeze currently tops the name hit parade.
              The Seattle Freeze refers to a belief that it is especially difficult to make new friends (particularly for transplants from other cities) in the city of Seattle, Washington. According to KUOW radio, a 2005 Seattle Times article was the oldest reference to the term found. Newcomers to the area have described Seattleites as being standoffish, cold, distant, and not trusting, while in settings such as bars and parties, people from Seattle tend to mainly interact with their particular clique. One author described the aversion to strangers as: "people are very polite but not particularly friendly." In 2008 a peer-reviewed study published in Perspectives on Psychological Science found that among all states, Washington residents ranked 48th in the personality trait extroverted.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze

Sadly, just finding out that it’s another one of those grim news days.

This time from Florida not only destroying innocent lives of victims and survivors

but becoming a sad backdrop to Valentine’s Day all over the country and beyond too.   
              somehow, I think I should have gone for a run today.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

4 easy trail miles

steve; congrats. I know a bunch of Bill's friends, and 20 is no easy task. Of course, that last 19 were probably easier than the first!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

spacityrunner

Overcast, cool and ?wet?...my co worker described it as like running through a cloud...so no rule violation there..3.5 miles around the workplace in a speedy 40 minutes for an 11:30 m/m. I was concerned about the impending sunset and the fact I had no lights on me and I was wearing a black skirt and a dark beige shirt and wondering if I was visible enough...but then I happened to look down at my bright white legs and knew I was safe 

Trails Rock!

evanflein

Tet, very well said. All of it. Although with the huge population influx into the Seattle area the last 10 years or so, I'm surprised people find Seattleites unwelcoming. We love going to Seattle and will be doing it again this weekend (Saturday thru Monday), but wouldn't want to live there because it's too crowded (and the weather sucks, but that's another issue).

So tragic about the school shooting in FL, the 18th school shooting so far this year. And it's only Feb. 14.  We're not supposed to get political on this forum, but I will say it's about time this country pulled it's collective head out of you-know-where and made some changes.

Dave, I'll be looking forward to hearing about her reaction. Priceless. And yeah, don't do weeds.

Cursive: I always write in cursive. My kids know how, I think, but they mostly print. I don't understand it. I used to write long letters to my friends and it always annoyed me to get a card back saying "good to hear from you, hope to see you soon!" (usually printed). Hmph. I write out my shopping lists, to do lists, notes for the cat-sitter, all of it in cursive. (Although I will admit I have a saved word doc on my laptop for the cat-sitter that I can easily update.)

Change: How freakin' hard is it to say the sale total (17.32, for example), then count the pennies (.33., .34, .35), then add a nickle ".40", a dime ".50", two quarters ".75, $18, then add two more dollars "$19 and $20". Good grief. Don't these people get any training?? I worked retail too long to put up with it. I'll give them extra pennies to make it easier for them, and they usually get befuddled and don't know what to do. I just roll my eyes.   Like that. I mean, really.

Welcome back, Anzlo! Glad to hear you're cleared for running.

Some of us aren't. *sigh* so 33 minutes of pool running today, 10 laps. Leg is feeling better though! It ought to, right? Week 5 of no running.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, 5 miles this morning in a chilly, damp mist.  Taught spin after work.  DW and I have really never made a big deal over Valentine's Day.  Today is also Ash Wednesday, welcome to Lent.

Tet, I make it a point to get with every rider I don't recognize and find out how experienced they are, their goals, bike setup, etc.  I generally don't have large classes though so it's fairly easy to do it.  Hardest thing for me is to get a new student who arrives 5 minutes after the class starts and then needs assistance.  Usually not too hard to work through it but I feel like I'm cheating the people that were there on time.

Evanflein, also won't get political, but suggest you check the list of the individual events on that list of 18.  I'm an engineer so if I have to make decisions based on data I like to get the definitions as well as all the details I can on how the data was collected.

Have a great night everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

falcon - thanks.

I'll probably have more questions

after tomorrow morning's spinning.

We love going to Seattle and will be doing it again this weekend

uh huh, now we know why the first snow

since Christmas's in the forecast for Sunday

Sun, 02.18.18

30° 39°

Snow

• Snowflakes | WritingShannon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Hey there folks 

I posted a brief intro back in October 2017 with some uncertainty of when I might get back to some regular running.  It now looks like I am able to do so, yeah!  I have to do it with some moderation compared to before for a time while some diet/allergy/nutrition issues are resolved around my ability to produce hemoglobin properly ... but I am running again.  I have 70 miles running and 110 walking since January 1st without noticeable decline in my test results so I am cleared to resume moderate training.

So, if you can tolerate another new guy transferred over from RW I will try to gradually mingle in this year.  I am a little casual on posting just so you know.

Bioguy - I sympathize with your student struggles concerning electronics.  Teaching HS students was my third occupation which I retired from last year after 13 years, and yeah, they are a nuisance.

I participate in events in the 65+ age bracket along with my wife who is younger and in the 60+ bracket.  Neither of us are speed demons but until last year I had kept my HM under 2:00 when my issues showed up.  My wife typically runs HM's in about 2:25 +/- a few minutes.  She wants to do a 50K in Octobeittthis year and I would like to share the experience with her if I am allowed to do so.  She is able to do more mileage than I can this year.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day and a great week!

BTW, it's also Oregon's "birthday" the state I live and run in.

Glad to have you back here. We are all very casual in our postings here, but soon you will find out that the RA Master family is the most powerful support group you will ever find Smile

Today was a the 33rd mark of when my DH asked the question and I said...YES!!! It has been a whirlwind adventure ever since then...but what an amazing journey...and I love every single day of it.

Today was also a regress on my knee barking journey. I need to find a way to stand up all day during my work day because KNEE does not like the sitting down position. Unfortunately, my job involves a lot of driving for meeting and seating down to attend the meetings.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Tramps - I'm ready for some warmer weather.

RunnerKSA- Good luck at the Dr.

Dave59- You're so romantic. By Friday, my brain get really sad. A cashier could hand me a half eaten plum and I'd casually put it in my pocket.

Hello Anzlo.

Leslie,  I'm sorry. That's a tough one.

(((((Pickles)))))

Spacity - Snork.

So tragic about the school shooting in FL, the 18th school shooting so far this year. And it's only Feb. 14.  We're not supposed to get political on this forum, but I will say it's about time this country pulled it's collective head out of you-know-where and made some changes.

Agreed. Like shaking parents who ignore what their kids are doing so the can update their FaceBook status. See Tammy's post.

I left work early.I'm afraid working in my own little world (Stevie Land) isn't an option. I've become horrible about keeping my pearls of wisdom to myself and someone is going to take a swing at me.

I'm guessing that DW let the kids know I was getting out early. I cooked dinner quickly and got the running gear on. I had a few texts from the kids asking if I'd take their dog(s) out running. It amazes me how 4 dogs can all fit in the front seat. Mia, the Pitt/Lab, nearly went through the windshield when a leaf blew across the road. I parked by an old iron bridge. My heart stopped when I heard some violent splashing in the river. Tag and Mia were missing. I ran onto the bridge ready to jump in after a mutt. A large chunk of ice (at least 15') broke from the edge and was creating a racket.The hounds were trying to convince a critter to come down from a tree for a Valentine's kiss.

We went a mile and a half up hill and a mile and a half down hill. Moe is 14. This might be his last run. His heart is enlarged and he's always breathing heavy. He's doesn't seem to be in pain. I did have to help him into the truck. Honey and I had to keep waiting for him on the down hill. The guy had a constant smile and his tail was wagging the entire time.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

(and the weather sucks, but that's another issue).

And coming from you, that's really saying something.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Anzlo

Anzio - it’s about time you showed up again.  However, speaking of your DW, were you able to overcome your skimpy training and injury enough to ensure DW got a marathon PR at the Portland Marathon last October or are you looking elsewhere?.  

Tet - Wow, you remember that! The short version is; at mile 23+ DW was at a 10+ minute PR, fell cornering in pothole like depression (Oregon is full of these), after aid washing wound with water from closest water station tried to run, after one mile had to walk it in the last two miles, and still just missed PR by only a few minutes.  Sad day unfortunately but it just made her more determined she could do it!  The upside this year for her (downside for me race wise) is that I can probably do her paces and run more with her for support.  So silver lining for me also in a way .

Tammy - I am in the Willamette Valley, northern part of Oregon.

Wednesday's workout was 4 miles running and 1 mile walking.

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD