Masters Running

Saturday, Sept. 12 Runs and Chuckles (Read 348 times)

TammyinGP

Nice racing Ribs!

Hope your daughter had a good soccer game Holly.

LOVE me some sweet potato fries - I've never tried making them, but given the choice at a restaurant for fries, I'll take those sweet potato ones anytime!

DS had a great football game today. 2nd play of the game and he scores a TD. And then during the 2nd half he intercepted the pass and returned for another TD. His team won 27-0. He's still on cloud nine!  It was so worth missing my race this morning to see this game!

Tammy

Ewww, sweet potatoes.  I agree with Twocat's DW - yuck.

I'm with you and twocat's dw, Carolyn!

Nice work for your DS, Tammy!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Sweet Potatoes: I bake them after slitting them open slightly, tucking a sprig of rosemary in the opening, then wrapping 'em in foil. When done, put in a pat of butter and a bit of maple syrup (and a splash of bourbon, if you like.)

Dee-lish.

10k trail race through a muddy orchard this morning, wanted to run 7's, ran 7:10's  (there were a couple of pretty technical miles in there) Then feasted on freshly-picked macouns, cider doughnuts, and fresh cider. 1st AG, 7th OA. A nice early fall event.

Props on your reticence, Ribs.....it's that whole discretion/valor thing.

Good runs, all.

Walt

Evening, Folks -

Ribs - I'll have to try the grilled sweet potatoes thing.  Whenever I tried bake them for fries, I think I use too much olive oil.  I really like sweet potatoes.  I don't know why I don't eat them more often. Twocats - You can send me what your DW doesn't want.

dg - I agree with the others, it sounds like nutrition.  When you feel shaky and pukey, you need to get food in you, even though that's the last thing that sounds good.  If you like milk, try a glass w/Ovaltine.  Get that down, then try a banana.  Just keep eating small amounts and you'll soon feel better.

We did 19 of our scheduled 20 miles.  Poor Charlie Dog, almost all of his water spots have dried up.  We're gonna have to really think our runs out there with him to ensure we get by the couple of spots left.  My legs are pooped, too.  Last week and this week I came to the realization that one of our big problems is we don't fuel ourselves on these training runs like we do during a race, and it's killing us.  During a race, you're coming to an aid station every 4-6 miles.  When we train, we're terrible about waiting until we're 1 to 1.5 hour into a run before we start eating.  Not good.  Also, I tried my Inov-8 Roclites again - I don't like them.  Period.  My feet and ankles are killing me.  They're definitely not as stable as my Mizunos, so I'm sticking with what works.  Even my road shoes are Mizunos.  Karen, who has and loves last year's Inov style, is gonna try them out and see if they work for her (they're 1/2 a size larger than what she wears).  If so, she'll buy them from me.

Later.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Spareribs and Walt RB those both look like great ideas.  I will have to try them, sans DW alas.  Plus, Walt RB I am always looking for a good excuse to add bourbon to something!  wildchild and WRFB you do not know what you are missing!  Not only are sweet potatoes well sweet but they are lower in calories that regular old white potatoes!  What more could you want?

Spareribs I also wanted to extend my kudos for how you handled yourself post race.  There is a guy in my town that I run with/against (well when we are both healthy during the summer!) in the local race series.  Until two years ago he was reliably faster than me.  I always just congratulated him post-race.  Then two years ago I started beating him.  Every week he had a new excuse.  Last year he was typically faster.  Did he just accept my congratulations graciously?  No.  Instead he had a story as to why he was not faster still that day.    I pretty much lost all respect for him after that.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

Sweet Potatoes,  yum.  

very nice race Walt!    how were the macouns?  I'd never heard of them but they sound good. 

glad your DS's game went well Tammy!

Carolyn good luck tomorrow!

wow Sarge.   way to finish after that.  ow.  hope you're not too sore... & hugs to your DW.

Ribs, your race made my day.    not too peppy, & rain?      .. very nice what you said to the guy who was 1st in AG.

(.... the Saint is surely a saint.  Wink  )

poor Steve.   Maybe Tag could do it?    Sounds like a wonderful run.  how is your AT?

thanks Lou, Liz, Steve, Denise.....   you're probably right.   I wasn't sure what to do at that time of day.  Liz, I even got some wimpier bread today in case it happens again.. I've read about people not feeling up to eating after a run but it's never happened to me before.   I'm just about to have some yogurt, peaches & oatmeal before I go to bed so I should be stocked up for tomorrow.  

Twocat....  how can I ever thank you?  (.... pssst.   editor.   how long has he been delusional? anything else we should know?).         As much as i'd love some of your spares... I think we should give them to Doug.    Very cool about your DW!    ...  your muffins sound great.   I'd like the strawberry pecan muffin recipe if you are up to sharing another one.       Let us know if you try Ribs sweet potato recipe, I think it sounds good.   of course, I like brussel sprouts too. 

Mary, how's your kiln?

(((Nono)))...    amazing you managed 13 today on top of everything else.

'nite all.

SteveP

Steve.    how is your AT?

I put a support in each right shoe I have and it's worked wonders. It's nearly as good as sweet taters.

SteveP

evanflein

Mmmmmm, I love sweet potatoes. Or maybe more appropriately, garnet yams. I like to slice them in about 1/2" thick slices, and simmer slowly with some ground ginger and sea salt. I think I'll try the grilling method Spareribs mentioned.

Hope Holly's little soccer team had a good game, whatever the outcome. When DS1 was in the first year of U8 rec league soccer, they went the whole season without scoring a single goal. I think the parents were more disappointed than the kids. At least the kids got snacks after every game.

Tammy, I can't believe it's still so hot where you are! Amazing... we had a record stretch of warm days so far in September with eight days in a row with the official temp 70 or higher. It's been really nice...

{{Steve's butt}} At least Tag had a good time.

I find it interesting that my good buddy Tet seems to be talking me out of the ultra next week! Sorry, fren, it's a done deal. Well, the entry at least.  Today I went up the hill and ran the out-and-back section of the course. My time was 51:50 or something, for just under 10 min. pace. Not too bad, but I did have more of that "noodle leg" feeling than I'd like. We were up pretty late last night, partying with some friends and had a GREAT time, so I guess some tiredness was worth it. Tomorrow I think I'll do the whole hill one last time before the race next week (eeek!), then I'll just do pretty easy stuff the rest of the week. The last week before the race is always problematic for me. I want to run, but know I also need to rest and stay off my foot as much as possible. That's why I do a lot of pool running that last week (did 30 minutes today, too).

DS1 was at a cross-country invitational meet today in Palmer, and ran a new PR of 19:38. Sure wish he'd work out more often, I bet that time would be a slow one for him if he worked more consistently at it.

Mariposai

Erika, so glad to hear that you had a GREAT time partying with friends last night.

Don't let Tet talk you out of this ultra....you are so ready for it my friend. 10m/m up the hill....wow..........

back from the wildwoods...much to share. I think I will write a short hike report. One thing I must say is this...Mt. Rainier spit us out on the second day of the trek with a torrential rain/snow. We did spend 6 days of trekking, nonetheless...elsewhere.

Yesterday: 4 easy miles just so the muscles can remember that "we run".
                    Today: 10 super easy miles, I wore my garmina so she can tell me that I was not running any faster than 12 miles per hour...legs are lead and deserves a rest tomorrow.

Ohhhhhhhhh I had so much fun...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mariposie - welcome back.  hope you had some of this nice weather too though.

PRIVATE MESSAGE TO POSIE (ERIKA - do not reat)

posie, posie, please try to talk erika out of the ultra extention of the already daunting Equinix.

She probably read about your first ultra 50K with negative splits and slipping along like a fairie princess.

I crossed the finished line singing along with John Denver one of my favorite songs… sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.I shed a few tears of joy as I ran along for a bit more to cool down .

Just imaging running up the 14 Mt. Spokane miles of the Let's Climb a Mountain 35 mile Ultra but not being able to run on the road and having to run in the adjacent woods instead.

thanks.

\

===================================

erika - no particular reason but with the Team'n'Training entrants warning that "the Equinox Marathon (is) one of the most difficult marathons in North America," I'm wondering what the RD has warned about the first edition of an Equinox Ultra 50K. 

In particular, I'm hearing that apparently it's dawned on the RD that the 50K extension ranks the Equinox as the first Hors de Ascent marathon in the western United States, if not Western Hemisphere, and, in an attempt to be ready for dealing with delusionary runners, provide immediate first aid for the expected spills on roots, rocks and other erratics, getting crazed and wandering off into the tundra never to be seen again until break-up next April, hungry black and grizzly bears, carnivorous wolves, etc. it's become only the second or so event up there after Mt. Marathon to be subjected to entry limits - 50, i.e. one runner per km.

However, I'm sure you will do just fine and be able to avert any dental woes, ankle twisting, stumbling, face planting. 

After all it's just the Equinox. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Welcome back Posi.  I was thinking of you during that ugly weather, but we had some great days later didn't we.

5 fartlekey miles after work for me tonight. 

NONO,  hope all is OK

Mariposai

thank you guys for the welcome back...yes that weather was awful...the rain........ohhhhhhhhh that rain..........

the cold..........ohhhhhhhhh the cold...........

good weather.............what good weather??????????

I will try to share pictures and the story...but I can't promise I can do much until next weekend...after all we are still on vacation until next Thursday..

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I love you Tetsujin. Thanks, and yes I'll be careful.