Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 12.13.17 (Read 39 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting discussion about raising kids.  I guess you really roll the dice when you decide to have kids - no telling  how they'll turn out!  I'm extremely thankful that my DD has always been an easy kid - smart, sweet, and kind. We didn't exactly  plan on only having one kid, but just never got around to having a second one.  Best of luck to those of you struggling with difficult children.

I'm not a treadmill fan - and I'm lucky I live where it's almost always nice enough to run outside.  Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter, and it doesn't rain much. Plus, I can go up or down in altitude to find better conditions - up in the summer, down in the winter.

5.5 miles around the neighborhood dirt roads this afternoon.  Yesterday I ran 10 miles in the local state park, in a skirt and long sleeves, but today it's chillier and I had on a jacket and gloves and long pants.  Still pretty  balmy, in the mid 30s.  Snow is in the forecast tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter, and it doesn't rain much.

this made me chuckle. I guess cold is all relative. you live at 9500' with snow about 8-9 mos of the year right??   and for snow to stay on the ground, it's below freezing right?? 

Tammy

Mariposai

Howdie friends, after two weeks visiting my family in Paraguay I am finally back to the states and able to post here.

I had a great trip. I spent a lot of time building memories with my family and even running my first official race in my country. It was the 5k of my dreams. I took second place in ages 41 and up Smile. The running highlight of my trip was to be able to run with a few of the runners of the "Quiindy Running Club". It is hard to imagine that my town has it's own running club now  (long story short,but it was forbidden for girls to run in my town when I was a teenager, in the 80s).

Today I went for a 13 miler in hopes to get rid of the jet-lag. Tomorrow is back to work and reality.

I hope all is well with each one of you

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Yesterday morning - great 3.1 mile run in Boston plus a slow 1.1 jog from the garage to the hospital

Around 6p Justin called - sounded off, speech was strange. 2 hours later the treatment center he was at called and said they were transferring him to a psych hospital - felt his behavior was off and he needed more intense eval

Talked to him briefly last night -- he was so agitated and ended up hanging up on me --- I couldn't get any info from the hospital.

Today - had a good talk with his clinician from the treatment center. Seems he was off all day yesterday, they felt he was decompensating quickly, possibly having auditory hallucinations and wanted to get him further treatment. I struggled all day to keep it together at work, but knew it wouldn't do any good to be home either. Justin called my dh tonight and again it was a very bizarre phone call and then he hung up.

I really hope they adjust his meds and get him back on track. He will be able to go back to the treatment center when he is stabilized.

Ran 1.2 from the hospital to the garage -- wish I ran more and burned off more sadness and frustration, but it was pretty cold and I wasn't properly prepared for it ---- tomorrow is another day

Metalman -- thank you for sharing and so happy your DD is doing better

denise

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, a very chilly 8 this morning before work (ok, it felt cold at times).  Pace was pretty good with several miles under 8 minutes.  Work was a series of meetings this afternoon, which led to teaching spin after work.

Have a great night everyone!

So sorry, deez.  Hugs..... It’s just so hard and heartbreaking.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

I never even considered having a treadmill when I lived in Dallas.  If it was too icy to run (maybe 3 days a year) or pouring rain, I did some other form of exercise. I lived 1/2 mile from the best fitness center in the country and it had a 1 mile outdoor track which weaved around ponds and trees.   Tennessee- different story.  Plus, I'm older.  I am supposed to avoid falling (osteoporosis) and my night vision isn't great.  About 4 years ago we took the treadmill plunge and got a high end one after a lot of research.  We have a good basement area for it and put up a big TV.  It's by a couple of windows, too.  Since I run everyday, it's been great.  No problem to get in a couple of miles before a very early flight.  No problem to keep my streak going even if I'm a little sick.  I don't love running on a treadmill, but I made peace with it and it has allowed me to run no matter what (well, not after eye surgery and when I had a stress fracture).  I think it's challenging in its own way and I don't see it as a cop out if I run on it instead of outside.  It's great for speedwork, too.

Yup, this. My cut off for running for many years was -20°F but recently I'm finding anything colder than -10°F just isn't much fun. And yes the difference between -10 and -20 is significant. I got my TM in 2008 as an after Christmas sale special. I think it was about $1,200 at the time, marked down from almost $2k. That's probably more than we should've spent at the time but I'm glad we did. It's been a good workhorse and has a ton of miles on it. One new roller in the rear and a new drive belt is all it's needed. The last few years we've had so much ice that running outside just isn't safe, even with spikes. So it goes. Mine is in the garage and I have to back the Subaru out to lower the running deck and run, then fold it back up and bring the car back in when done. That alone is a PITA so only do it when I really don't want to run outside. No TV, just my iPod with podcasts and music.

Deez, so sorry to hear about this latest development with Justin. Sure hope he gets back on track soon, and thankful he's under medical care. Getting the meds just right can take awhile.

5.6 miles today in crazy warm 37° temps. Our roads are so slick from these warm temps, and the snow is soft and slippery on the paths, even where plowed. There's a half-mile stretch from campus that goes over the train tracks, and the whole stretch seems almost slushy making it very hard to run on. It should cool off later this week and weekend, and I'm actually looking forward to some firmer footing!

ETA: here's my Relive of Monday's run where I met up with the plows and had to find another route. Again, my running life in the winter is pursuing good footing...

Tomorrow (Friday) is my last day in Beijing. I will be really happy to get home. After that I do not want to go anywhere for at least a month! The pollution levels are way too high to run outside. Right now it is so bad you are supposed to spend as little time outdoors as possible. It will be so nice to breath fresh air again.

As to running, 7 miles on the treadmill this morning. That was your evening yesterday. I have a question. Since I ran today on my Thursday but coastwalker's Wednesday, should coastwalker report the run in this Thursday thread or tomorrow's Friday thread? Maybe both? Or neither since they are both on the wrong day somewhere?  I know, every day for a week! That is the ticket! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/