Masters Running

Monday 11/8 (Read 36 times)

SteveP

Steve-  Apple watch has emergency notification for falls, but there are also devices that seniors can wear around their necks (most of them don't like them, unfortunately) where you can push a button for a fall alert.

I thought it was Apple. Thank You! 

I got a bonus 3.1 miles in.

SteveP

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, at least got here today....  Great day, first of my deployers (beyond those back for family emergencies) returned today along with two of our aircraft.  C-130s have to hop so they went from the desert to Suda Bay (Crete) on day 1; Suda to Belfast on day 2; Belfast to Iceland (take on some gas) to St John's New Foundland (what a great town!) on a long day 3; then St John's to Maxwell...with a stop at Westover ARB (Mass) for a customs check.  Great weather and it's always a great scene when families reunite.  A good friend of mine (we were cadets together at Auburn in the mid-80s) flew one of the planes back...the one with the Auburn logo as nose art.  We finally got a picture together in front of it.

I mentioned my third law yesterday and it's already kicked in.  I did like Tet's version as well.  George Patton said no plan survives first contact with the enemy.  More on that when I can.

My neighbors were entertaining me last night with their music so it was a short sleep.  I elected to walk before work (about 2.3 miles).  At lunch (before the aircraft arrived) I went for a run.  8.55 miles at an 8:29 pace.  Decent run.

Evanflein, funny you mention crunches.  The Air Force calls it that but....feet are either held (pre-covid, that's currently not an option) or under a tow bar (by the way, the counter is still right next to you--can't see why they couldn't hold the feet....).  You start with your head/shoulders on the mat.  You MUST keep your hands on the opposite shoulder (so arms are crossed over your chest).  You come up until your elbows touch your thighs.  Then back until your shoulder blades touch the mat.  Supposed to count on the "downs."  So it's not a full sit up...but it is more than a crunch.

Have a greta night everyone!

Oh yeah, I was going to say nice pics, everyone!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Starr - beautiful photos!!!!

denise

Falcon- the Auburn plane sounds really cool!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BTW I had mixed feelings about the race. I continue to be unhappy about my last place finish but I was 2 minutes per mile faster than my other 5K this year. Since I race so infrequently now I can’t really expect any after times. I’m just happy to be mobile at my age.

Henrun - to mollify us ageds, many marathons are now adding an Age-Graded time making it look like my seven hour marathons are only four-or-five hours or even better sometimes, . . . but I know better.  However, the way you’re running, your AG times would probably put you in the Olympics.

ps - maybe because I was never a good runner but I'd pretty much be unhappy all the time, especially for triathlons, if that's what red lanterns made me but I call them "DGL's" as it's all glorious no matter what.

it was definitely a wake-up call that I just can't jump up and do just anything at any time any longer, even if I have to let a "perfect day" go by now and then..

roch - I was going to say that that's a nice thought to defer running even on a nice day when you shouldn't but not when you run where I do (and murray too, I think) where it has rained up to 90 days in a row from Thanksgiving through the next year's Valentine's Day because there's no way anyone here's gunna let a rare perfect day go by no matter what but since you already ignored your own advice on your own, I guess I don't have to.

we had another -- possibly last -- drop-dead gorgeous day here and again I couldn't force myself to stay inside. So, . . . casual 14.4-mile ride mostly on the Paint Creek Trail. . .

roch - glad you didn't let a perfect day go by, after all.

Tomorrow I'm hoping for one last ride of the year with the old Tuesday group . . ..

roch - good!  Glad you're not going to waste tomorrow either.

Saturday might bring our first snow in the form of the proverbial "wintry mix" as it drops a bit below freezing during the day.

roch - great. Don't waste Wed, Thur, or Friday either.

ps - no wonder I like your style.

pps - falcon too.

"The primary reason to plan is to know what you are deviating from."

ppps roch - I also remember when someone said that inclement days need to be appreciated and taken advantage of because you don't feel obligated to go running, cycling or whatever instead so as not to waste it when it's a nice day.

With a one day sunshiny respite in the steady rain since the end of October predicted to return tomorrow until the end of the month (or end of the year, if not end of winter in March), I deferred a circuit around the Hillside Park in the early morning darkness to do it this afternoon with sun gleaming off the remaining yellow leaves but DW’s day caught up with me so I’ll hope tomorrow morning won’t be too wet but doubt it.

Fortunately, part of DW's day was to use our two $50 covid booster gift cards to Fred Meyer for a replacement tv for the old one that stopped working the other day but the cheapest antenna tv's were $200 and more so we stopped at the thrift store across the street and got a 32-incher Samsung antenna model that's better than the old one so we can look forward to the two week long fall sumo tournament starting on Sunday to say nothing of I get to watch how much the Packers are going to beat the Seahawks by. .   .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Hi Masters, I'll try to be short.....

DW and I went to the Board of Elections Monday and witnessed the counting of the Absentee ballots.   Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, she did not win.  She wound up about 30 votes behind the winner, with almost 3150 votes cast.   I think that's tremendous in a county where the opposition party outnumbers hers by such a wide margin (more than 2 to 1).

At lunch Monday I rode 18 miles and reached the 2,000 mile finish line for the year.  According to the forecast I could probably get a few more 18 milers in, but I think it's time to put the bike away and prepare for a couple of swim events.   I have until the 15th to swim both the 3,000 and the 6,000 yard ePostal events.  I skipped the 3,000 on Sunday because my back is still hurting from my dumbbell miscue at the gym on Friday (I think) and it was so beautiful out DW and I went for about a 2.5 mile hike on the Albany end of the rail trail so I could show her the waterfalls.

GN got to see his Dad at church Sunday and it sounds like he might get to see him there this coming Sunday as well.

SteveP

BTY - If DW is a person of the same caliber as you, the loss is unfortunate.

SteveP