Masters Running

Monkey Sunday Thread 11/24 (Read 45 times)

Tramps

Nice sub-20 5K for C-R yesterday.  And a monkey run today!  Quite the weekend.

Interesting FB commentary the last few days.  I loved MS’s description of her virtual self.

EZ 12 on a winter-like day.  Mid-20’s with a nasty howling wind making it feel like the mid-teens.  The temps didn’t bother me but that wind was a bear.  Came home and loaded some  firewood to keep us warm.

Be safe. Be kind.

Just a general cooking comment.  Never believe a Texan that claims not to be a better cook.  The problem they have is that there are so many amazing chefs down there it is like competing among the world's fastest  Kenyans in a marathon!

I lost my personal bet.  Amazingly my DW went out in today's freezing temperatures and about 20 mph winds with her friend for a 5 mile run.  I am impressed.  Me?  I went to the gym and hit the elliptical.  I sure hope it warms up tomorrow when I have an 8 miler scheduled.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' Tramps, and those to follow!

Nice sub-20 5K for C-R yesterday.  And a monkey run today!  Quite the weekend.

Interesting FB commentary the last few days.  I loved MS’s description of her virtual self.

I concur.

Nice run in some challenging weather, Tramps. We also brought in a load of fire wood yesterday, and will have the stove cranking later today.

Nice racing yesteday by TSelbes too - congrats on the AG hardware.

Interesting discussions ranging from peeks to smart phones to tamarinds. I have a smart phone, but refuse to become a slave to it. I rarely use it for email, and there are times of the day that I just won't answer calls (unless I know DW is out, or someone is traveling this way). I suppose that not having kids makes it easier to be less attached to my phone.

Strange day, indeed, Mike.

Great shopping at the indoor farmer's market yesterday: carrots, squash, Tokyo turnips, watermelon radishes, Nicola potatoes, fresh broccoli, locally-made gravy with butternut and parmaggiano, golden beets, some locally-caught pollock (that we had for dinner last night), and bison short ribs.

Racewalking at 4:30 this morning. We had weather similar to Tramps: 21F, with high winds producing a windchill of 8. So I wore an extra shirt under my windbreaker, heavy-weight tights, and some light-weight gloves inside my mittens. When I was facing into the wind, it was a bit nasty. My Garmin was under too many layers, so I couldn't hear the mile beeps as I made up today's route as I went along. I thought I had gone about 7 miles (instead of the 9.2 I actually covered), and wondered why I felt more tired than usual. After I got back, DW made GF waffles that we topped with sliced bananas and maple syrup. Then we drove up the coast, marveling (as we always do) at the ocean, and made an early stop at Trader Joe's for some supplies and Thanksgiving fixins.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..well,

it ws a Memorable ThanksGiving (early)

the inlaws $50-k Accura conked out,,,,,,,,,,,,had to be towed to NASHVILLE

my SIL and DD2 had to follow them 1 1/2 hours  in the Wrong Direction from Knoxville

we entertained my OTHER SIL

who has dementia

the booze ran out about 9-ish

VanderBuilt beat Tennessee (or at the least the part I got to see)

had to watch a HORRIBLE HarryPotter Movie with Claire (which is apparently HotSuff if you're 6)

and

nobody got to bed before midnight

then

she me got up back up at 5-AM (to show her how to Blow Up Balloons)

sadly,

it wasn't the worst weekend with InLaws I've had.

=============

that said,

no bike ride.................yet, ''RestDay'' doesn't sound correct

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Sunday is my day off running so nothing to report here. 

Cindy and I are having a Red John party tonight. (Viewers of The Mentalist will know what that means as we all finally find out the identity of the serial killer.). 

Racewalking at 4:30 this morning. We had weather similar to Tramps: 21F, with high winds producing a windchill of 8. So I wore an extra shirt under my windbreaker, heavy-weight tights, and some light-weight gloves inside my mittens. When I was facing into the wind, it was a bit nasty. My Garmin was under too many layers, so I couldn't hear the mile beeps as I made up today's route as I went along. I thought I had gone about 7 miles (instead of the 9.2 I actually covered), and wondered why I felt more tired than usual.

Yikes Jay!!!  I dont know how you get up and out at the time of the morning in this weather!!

I met friends at 7:45 did a mile "warm-up" if you can call it that --- also about 24F with 16-20mph winds ...... met a group training on the 5 mile course for our Feaster Five road race ......then did another 2.2 solo to give me the 8.2 I wanted for the day.  The wind was brutual esp on my downhills - was totally pushing me back but so glad I was out there and got it done!!   Then went into the Y to help with set-up for the expo - my job was to organize all the swag bags for our VIP's with their race shirts and numbers -- I was lucky this year and had a great team helping me so it went well!!

Dinner with dh, the boys and a couple of the girlfriends last night was so fun!!  Love having them all together!!

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends --- oh and I have to confess to being one of those addicted to my IPhone and Facebook - oh well, guess we have to have some vices!!  Wink

denise

King of PhotoShop

Mariposai, thank you for the enlightenment on tamarind!  Naan is easy to cook but I don't bother. We have an Indian restaurant right up the street and I buy it there.

Nice job tselbs.

Twocat, speaking of how fast Kenyans are, I loved this quote I read somewhere recently. Only 17 American runners have gone under 2:10 in the marathon. In October, 2011, 32 Kenyan men did it.

SpareTire's mom and aunt (my ex wife and sister in law) will be here for dinner tonight.  We're having very nasty weather so I have a meatloaf on the smoker and when it's done I'll cool and rewarm it as it's going to sleet later.

I revisited the UltraCentric this morning to cheer on my friend Suann who was in hour 21 of the 24 race. Not many people left, but she was still upbeat.  Then I went over to the club and ran an easy 14.  Spareribs

Coastwalker - interesting that you underestimated your mileage.

tomwhite.....sorry!

I missed that whole thing about C-R running under 20 for a 5K.  Nice.

I did 5 trail miles - and my knee was fine!!!  (sounds like I only have one knee!)  I took it easy and think I will stay taking it easy for awhile.

My home computer is having a tantrum.  The power is intermittent, so I thought maybe the power supply needed to be replaced, and now the power is there, but there is no signal to the monitor, and I don't know why.  I think I should just buy a new computer and start all over.  Luckily I backed up all the files the last time it was working properly.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sorry Tom White....gatherings can be tough and interesting (in the way my third grade art teacher used "interesting" to describe my art work)

We've been working with the staff at Super-Granny's place as well as the counselor who helps my MIL. Holiday gatherings for those with dementia and alzheimers can be particularly tough and even a seemingly simple thing like leaving the room will be tricky. If we all depart en masse after the turkey is consumed, the family member with dementia will get even more confused and think he/she is supposed to go as well. The staff where Super-granny lives called yesterday afternoon to tell me that she had tried to get out at least three separate times (SG is quite mobile even at 103---no cane, or walker and can still touch her toes and scoot out of doors quite easily!---she's also 4' 8" and pocket-sized) Anyway....so much we are learning!

WINDY! I met up with some friends for a run at the reservoir this morning and the forehead-freeze was intense every time the wind blew----we took to the trails to get out of the wind and ran 8 chatty and happy miles followed by coffee and bagels. The storm that's visiting you Ribs is on the way.

Happy 50th anniversary to the TV show Dr. Who! We all just re-watched last night's Dr. Who special: Night of the Doctor. I even wore my Dalek socks and my long scarf for the occasion. Yes, a happy geek I am.

Henrun

TW- your weekend sounds like one of those movies that Chevy Chase used to make- we all have those days.

We had one of the GD's (6 year old) for an overnight- delightful but not great sleep for either one of us (although the little one slept well). Needless to say, Marj didn't go out and I went for a windy walk (my knee felt good also, Enke).

There's an interesting article in this morning's Boston Globe about Geoff Smith who won Boston twice in the early 80's. After a layoff of 18 years and 2 hip replacements he's training for Boston. At the age of 60 he hopes to "win it all"-not just age group. Also he reduced from 180 lb. to 147!Roll eyes

Mariposai

It is cold here, but no wind. I am waiting for the weather to warm up to go out for a run. I did complete an hour of legs and arms workout. I will be sore tomorrow, I know it.

Yes, I sure am enjoying this "all about me weekend". I woke up later, drank luxuriously slow my paraguayan tea while the aroma of roasted pumpkin filled the whole house.

Day 24 of "15 minutes a day" un-cluttering the house. I am amazed how much impacted 15' a day of cleaning and purging drawers can make a difference. Today I decided to focus on the kitchen pantry. Two hours later I am done and very happy with the result.

I admire you guys (Mrs. Twocat included) who went out on the strong wind and cold.

Happy trails!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...hey dave59//...............here's a Present for Annabelle............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpVqM2TGhiE

Claire

has LOVED this video ever since she was 4

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Hey all. Survived monkey with a leisurely 4:01. Walked and talked with people i know and made some new friends too. All in all it was a usual great party hostedby  trent. It was cold and windy. 20 at the start and gusts in the high teens. That part was not so great.

Good luck Karin. Thats hard and we have some similar issues with my mom.

Farmers markets are great. Glad you enjoy Jay.

Good luck tw. Sometimes just surviving those weekends are a challenge.

Time to drive home. Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike, you sure had the adventuresome day yesterday.  C-R, good job at the Monkey.

Nice long runs for Twocat, Mike, Tramps, and ribs.

This morning, it was in the mid teens and a bit windy.  I did 3 miles at an 11:15 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wow, another el cheapo with a dumb cell phone just like me in yesterday's daily.

too bad I can't run like her. <<<(wildchild)>>> oh well.

A little nippy but nice sunny, gloveless 10K in my most speedy jikatabi split toes just like the winners of the 1936 Olympic and 1951 Boston Marathons as a last chance to get a sub-1 hour 10K this morning.  Nope -  1:04:01.  oh well.  Still good enough for .first AG out of two this time. no wonder I love gettingo ld running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)