Masters Running

THURSdaily (Read 37 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy and Leslie and Carolyn - Good luck and have fun!

Mike - where are those questions?  We are dying to make up help you with those answers!

I had to go in to work early for video conferencing training, so no run this morning.  I did go to the Y after work for some light stretching and 1 mile on the TM.  Trying not to aggravate this peroneal tendon thing.

With only 3 weeks left in the school year, DD has straight A's in all 8 classes.  This has never happened, and I am very proud that she is working so hard.  If she makes it to the end of the quarter, there will be a nice cash bonus in it for her....I know you are not supposed to bribe your kids to do well, but DD has never really cost us anything in this regard....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

nb, cf, ris, paw  = no belt, closed fist, run in shallows, push against water (in shallows)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly S. I never understood why you are not "supposed" to bribe kids to do well in school. Kids have trouble understanding the future beyond tomorrow. This gets some of them to work despite themselves.

I have been so busy with the final weeks of classes that I have not had time to post. I am just buried in class work. Fortunately, the semester ends next Tuesday, other than a final exam. But my teaching assistant has to grade that! As for today, I did get in an hour on the elliptical. In other news, good news, I am seeing two former students and now friends tomorrow. One for lunch and one just for a visit. The latter is coming to my office. Maybe I will take the two of us out for coffee. She can have coffee, I will have tea as I do not drink coffee. I am not virtuous, I am allergic to coffee. Too bad, I love the way it tastes.

In case it slipped your mind, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time. That or you are clearly in need of psychiatric help!  Remember the sooner you sign up the less you pay!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nb, cf, ris, paw  = no belt, closed fist, run in shallows, push against water (in shallows)

just don't do anything funny and go off the deep end, Tom.

Hoping he'll tell me I've miraculously recovered and go run with wild abandon!

doctor or no doctor, it is a consummation devotedly to be wished no matter what.

<<<(wild abandon/wild abandon)>>> those were the days, that's for sure

Very tough one-miler this morning with my Ironman mentor from IMH ‘87 days. Deteriorating vision curtailed his racing days after the 2011 IMH at age 80 when he and two other octogenarian IMH regulars all finished within 5min/35sec of each other in one of the most competitive AG finishes ever (16:45:55 / 16:50:43 / 16:51:30).

I’ve been a guide for running, hiking, fishing, etc. with blind friends over the years but now it seems that Father Time isn’t letting my friend’s legs churn along very well as in those days anymore, either. Therefore, based on our mile slog this morning, it looks like we’ll just meet-up a mile before the finish line of this weekend’s Bloomsday 12K and do a last. non-timed, hurrah in the last mile together.  .

In the meantime, he gave me a copy of Iron-Nun Sister Madonna’s autobiographical “Grace-to-Race” about her 40+ years of triathlons all over the globe including some 45 IM’s and 340 shorter half iron, Olympic, and other distances. They both shared many memorable IM’s and AG podiums together since 1985 and he’s mentioned in her book too.

Both are so exceptional in so many ways. She was running with a broken foot when I caught up with her in my one-and-only IMH in 1987.  Her first solo marathon (without 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 miles of cycling beforehand) was Boston 1979 at age 48 in 3:32 and she went back for a 4:32 at age 78. I haven't run that fast since age 68, if that, and can't even break six hours anymore though I'm still more than three years away from age 78.  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Interesting day here in SF.  This is a group of senior retail lawyers.  We started the meeting at one of the Salesforce towers.  Salesforce is the largest private employer in SF and is a giant tech company.  I’ve heard of them, but wasn’t really familiar with all they do.  Basically, it’s CRM (customer relationship management) and a lot of other tech stuff.  Anyway, they compete with Google, Apple etc for employees, so they have all the whistles and bells in their facility.  It’s decorated like a national park and is just extremely cool.  They served us a terrific breakfast and had a fresh juice vendor there giving out really good sized glass bottles of different kinds of fresh blended juices.  We were on the 28th floor.  Their top floor (we didn’t get to go) is an indoor garden.    From there we moved to Gap headquarters for the rest of the day, which was not nearly as cool but still pretty interesting with their brands of Athleta, Old Navy and Gap.   We had senior legal officers (the step below General Counsel) from 14 major retailers in our group- Home Depot, COSTCO, Target, Dollar Tree etc.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

No running for my wings, or for "Knee" I should say. I drove 2 hours for a training that lasted 8 hours, then drove back home for 2 hours.

The best news is that so far, "Knee" is happy. Tomorrow is another day. I hope to run at least 3 miles since I have a Bloomsday family run plus a meet up with Tetsujin.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

From there we moved to Gap headquarters for the rest of the day, which was not nearly as cool but still pretty interesting with their brands of Athleta, Old Navy and Gap.

Don't forget my favorite, Banana Republic! Sounds like a great trip. I love running along the wharf in San Francisco.

What's with all the Achilles problems in here? Stop it you guys!

Tammy, I sure hope that's as bad as it was. I can't believe you are mostly ok (tentatively ok) after 3 weeks off. I was off 10 weeks+ and had soreness the first couple of weeks back. I'm just now feeling strong enough to build up mileage.

Holly, when you set out to do the 3 x 20 mile long runs without a break, I was worried about an injury. Hope that's not what brought it about...

Pod people? We've been places we deemed "Stepfordtown" but the pod people reference is pretty crazy.

So, I was out of range for a few days at that conference in Jacksonville, Fl. Great conference but dang they keep us so busy! Any downtime is spent catching up on work stuff on e-mail. Got back at 2 a.m. this morning (Thursday morning) and at work by 9 a.m. Felt like a long day, but got in 4.6 miles today.

Ran and walked enough at this conference to win the step challenge, netting me a series 3 Apple Watch that is currently charging away on the table next to me. I got one last year too, but it was an older version, first series I think. This one can actually take and make calls! Will be fun getting to know it but the band is pretty ugly so that'll get replaced.

Got a 5k this Saturday, the one I was going to skip to do the Pig before all those plans collapsed. It feels like I have no speed, and barely the stamina to run the whole way for 5k, so I'm thinking a time under 27 minutes will be just fine. Sad to think that's 5 minutes off my goal of just a few years ago (not that I ever made that goal, but it was the goal).

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I forgot to report that I ran 4 miles.  I hope it’s not too late to make the recap.

That’s all I got. See ya!

''just don't do anything funny and go off the deep end, Tom.''

.......reminded me of the time I showed up to PoolRun

and

there was a guy working out in the shallow end with  a  25-LB KETTLEBELL

haven't seen him since then,

hopefully he didn't try the DeepEnd

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Banana.  That’s my favorite, too, but we didn’t talk about it much.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth