Masters Running

Sunless Sunday, 11.24.19 (Read 39 times)

Tramps

Seems a bit big to carry with you on your runs...

Tet--it was the old 6th gen Nano, which I kind of liked. Now no more Nanos or Shuffles from Apple. I think I'm done with them and iTunes (also being phased out). I'll miss "smart playlists," though, which Spotify doesn't have.

Be safe. Be kind.

dnaff

Dnaff - how did the pie turn out?

It was good!  (but not equal to the work involved).  We'd make it again though just for all that mother/daughter bonding time.

I know a bunch of folks here have eaten in Savannah GA.  This pie is from the Back In The Day Bakery in Savannah.  It's such a great place that customers demanded they publish a cookbook.  So if you ever stumble across a cookbook with that name, snap it up.  It is full of wonderful things to bake.

Tet-  The half marathon shirt is just a short sleeved t-shirt, but seems to be decent quality.  It has half of the Monkey logo on the back and the front has a designation for the Inaugural Monkey Half Marathon.  I like it.  Nothing like the marathon shirts which have your name on them and how many Monkey “kills” you have.

Paul-  I think the half was a success for Trent and the park.  It is more work for Trent, and part of why he had it on Saturday was to get another day of exposure for the park and spread out the activity.  There are some things easier about having the races on separate days and some things harder.  As you well know, the whole thing is a ton of work for Trent.  He seems to hold up, but it’s a lot.  I try to help however I can- a lot of which is to support his wife Ellie and help her deal with her part of the activities and juggle her kids.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyway- the one glitch was that the grass field where everyone has to park turned into a mud pit and all the cars were getting stuck leaving.  Of course, I had no worries since I have a big truck- and then I got stuck!  I put in in 4 wheel drive, which didn't help.  I was in a panic, and no one could get up to the exit area anyway since stuck cars were in the way.  Somehow I got my truck loose and headed off across the field next to the one where we parked and looped around to the exit.  Whew!  I don't know what is going to happen with everyone else- especially after the beer tent.....   

Okay, after a tough, hilly marathon, getting my car stuck in the mud would just be too much.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I finally did it. This week I accidentally washed my little iPod Nano, which they don't make anymore.

I have an IPod Shuffle, probably around 20+ years old. I've got almost 300 songs (at $1.99/each) on it. It something ever happens to it, I'll be crushed. And out a boatload of money!! Back in the day, I found a carrier to put it in that clips to my running pants. Very convenient, and I for sure got my money's worth out of this purchase. Sorry Tramps - I hope this new system works out for you.

How lucky your DD got her wallet back Holly! Holy cow - who carries $400 around?! Hope she learned a lesson here. And I loved the picture of your monkey group. The screen saver on our home computer is set up to switch pictures every few seconds, and yesterday a bunch came up from the Cellcom Marathon that you, Erika and Amy ran, and the half that Starr and I did. Great memories!

Glad you got unstuck Karen.

Beautiful pictures Tet!

It was 40° here this afternoon. After spending a couple of hours putting up outside Christmas lights, I set out for a walk with a few short attempts at running. 4.25 miles total. I'm hoping the doc clears me to start running again when I see him tomorrow. The little running fitness I had is almost gone...

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday folks!

Tet, you really should sign up for the Double Dipsea after all that stair training...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

BTY

2.13 mile swim is in the books.  I’m confident that the next time this event comes around I can try doing the 100’s instead of the 75’s.  Doing the 75’s gave me the opportunity to rest for 30 seconds each time but I think that didn’t agree with me.  I’d rather do the 100’s, with no breaks in between reps, and if necessary sit a repeat out every 10 or 12. That would still give me almost 5000 yards.    It was enlightening to talk with a man in his 70’s who swims 3000 yards every time in the pool.  It reminded me that when I first started running “seriously” my goal was just to limit it to 5ks but hanging out with you all, first on Cool Running and then here on Running Ahead, the bar was raised significantly.

Have a greta day Runners!

Marathon Maniac #957

I have an IPod Shuffle, probably around 20+ years old. I've got almost 300 songs (at $1.99/each) on it. It something ever happens to it, I'll be crushed. And out a boatload of money!! Back in the day, I found a carrier to put it in that clips to my running pants. Very convenient, and I for sure got my money's worth out of this purchase. 

I have several Sansa Clips, 8GB each and smaller than a matchbox, with a built-in clip that clips to my waistband, pocket, etc.  I get CDs from the library and rip songs to my computer, and drag and drop to my Clips, along with audio books that I also download from the library.  I must have at least 2,000 songs on my computer, that I got for free, and I shuffle the songs on my clips periodically.

Can you transfer the songs you have purchased to a computer, so if your IPod breaks you still have them?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I thought I'd stop by and say hello. Nothing in the run or workout arena for me.

Wednesday - Half day of work. Closing on the townhouse. Filled up both cars with stuff for the first 30 mile trip.

Thursday - Last minute packing at home. A couple more round trips with stuff. Cable & internet set-up, got the water and electric utilities into our name.

Friday - Moving day. Rented a 20 foot U-Haul. Hired a couple of hard working guys to do the heavy lifting. It took 2 trips and 7 hours fro them to move the furniture & boxes. We continued moving the breakable stuff in our cars.

Saturday - Unpacking and another trip to get more loose items.

Sunday - Early morning call. Mother-in-law had to go to the hospital (UTI & localized pneumonia). I also finished unpacking and setting up my office today so technically I am ready to go back to work tomorrow, but I think I will put in a couple hours and then take off. Loose ends to tie up and frankly, the idea of working all day sounds disgusting.  

Michigan family has been here helping. Daughter, son-in-law, and dog (husky).  They are going to stick around through Thanksgiving. Just long enough to fill up our entire new house with husky fur, Couldn't have moved without their help so it is a fair trade-off.  When we got home this afternoon they had finished unpacking the entire kitchen and had everything put away,

Joe618

Evening, all!!  Would love to comment, so much to say about music players and running and Dave moving and Thanksgiving plans.   Summary:   I'm in favor of all of them :-) 

Got in a slow, creaky 4.2 mile run this afternoon...legs were stiff and only loosened up towards the end of the run.   But it was sunny and 51 and that was really nice.

Talk to all of you tomorrow!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mariposai

Tetsujin,  what a lovely picture.

Holly, pass a piece of that yummy dessert.  Sorry about your DD loosing her hard earned.

The last 4 days has been very interesting for me. I started having an allergic reaction around my eyes and nose. Feeling better today but I am still clueless on what I am allergic to. Thankful for my doctor friend who came to do a home visit to check on me and who prescribed the right medication to help me get better.

Today was 6 miles walk run with the Easy Pacer as a date run. Lovely time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Sorry about the allergic reaction, Mariposai. Strange that you can't pinpoint it. Nothing new or changed in your life recently?

Tet, neat picture but they look slippery! I can only imagine wet wood with wet leaves... yikes.

Dave, moving is a lot of work. Sounds like you went about it in a good and orderly fashion. Yeah, I'd blow off work, too.

BTY, I just can't imagine swimming over 2 miles. Egads, man. How long did that take?

I have an old iPod Shuffle that I got for winning the women's race at a supposedly 5k race at a conference years ago. Many years. And the race was barely 2 miles long so the distance was totally off. Around a golf course. It was fun to do, and I think most of the women were walking it cuz I was I think 3rd overall (two young guys passed me in the last mile), but the first prize was a Shuffle and I love it. It wouldn't charge for awhile, but now it's fully charged and whatever was the issue seems to have passed. It's probably at least 10 years old.

Got 10.5 miles today but geez that felt hard. Maybe too much enthusiasm on the hills yesterday? Legs just felt dead and glutes had that fatigued feeling like I'd been berry picking or doing too many squats or something. Temps were fine though around 19° or 20° and was dressed just right for it. That gets me to 44.1 for the week, first 40 mile week since the marathon! That's pretty pathetic, but oh well. Rest day tomorrow. Yay for a short work week!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet-  The half marathon shirt is just a short sleeved t-shirt, but seems to be decent quality.  It has half of the Monkey logo on the back and the front has a designation for the Inaugural Monkey Half Marathon.  I like it.  

KSA - neat. glad I asked.
                            Never met Trent or DW but, based on everything about them,

not surprised one bit that they have separate half tee’s, . . .

complete with half monkeys.

Erika - very, very slippery but with the dirt gaps between them,

that's where I step, plus I go down the ones

with dirt doggy paths on the side.

Image result for mercerdale stairs images

Dave - whew!

With the garage I have, I wish I could be like you.
                            Surly - doing the Dipsea would have been a dream come true

ever since reading about it in the running rags

even in the late seventies

but a double D? .... swoon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...off to Knoxville for the week

hasn't been much of a Training Week for me,

but

I'm sure Pickles will supplement that with plenty of Heavy Lifting

Run Safe and have a Happy ThanksGiving

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....