Masters Running

Monday April 9 (Read 41 times)

TammyinGP

Leslie - when I saw the 15K only had a handful of spots left, I just had to.  If I didn't and the weather ends up being nice that weekend (i.e., no wildfires smoking out the area), I would kick myself for not registering. Plus, you're there. 

Tammy

. . . Plus, you're there. 

Well, there's that . . . 

Tet - I went back and read your Sunday post re limited training for ultras.  I think people who have a natural gift can probably get away with less training, but I'm definitely not one of the naturally gifted, not to mention I would end up injured.  I have to put in the miles and the cross training.

Both secretaries are out for the two departments I work for AND it's Monday.  *sigh*  Is it time to go home?

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy birthday, Henrun!  I also ran 8.4 km in your honor today.    It's in the mid 30s and breezy, and I stopped to make you a birthday card on my run:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Happy birthday, Henrun

5 @ 7:51

Stultifying was the word for my run yesterday.

Advice for those of you flirting with injuries: stop it.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

spacityrunner

I have not run a lick since last week Wednesday.  BUT...today was high 60's and sunny...so met the trail gang for 5 miles on Hot Springs Mountain.  Loved every minute of it!

Oh gee...hit post before I got to say Happy happy day to Henrun!!!  Sounds like Marge treated you just right!

Trails Rock!

That is it. I have tendonosis again.  I am going to see what I can do about it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I just popped in to say hi and report that I ran 8.4 miles in honor of Henry's birthday.  They included 4 x 1.5 miles at "strength" pace.

Sorry, Twocat--that really stinks!

That's it--gotta go.  See ya!

you should have heeded the advice I posted two hours before your announcement.

I've been lucky for the last 11 months, only flare-ups from when I run too fast for too far. Lately I've been icing after runs, even though I know it's osis not itis, because there IS a little inflammation brought about by the osis. And it feels better faster when I do. And I take the day off after my once a week "speed" workout. I'm not sure if manipulating it (I roll on a wooden rolling pin) helps or hurts. Supposedly it breaks up scar tissue over time, but I THINK it's more sore the next day when I roll it. An that dovetails with my observation that shoes with a lot of padding and stuff that presses against the achilles with every step make it hurt more. I'll be walking in after running and my achilles is sore, but as soon as I take off my shoes and put on my heel-less house slippers the ache almost disappears. I wore my Kinvara7 today, and they don't have much in the way of a heel counter, and I felt fine. I don't know if any of this anecdotal info helps or not. You might want to look into TENEX and see if it's right for you. I might do that late next Fall, because I don't mind not running in the winter as I recover.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Happy birthday to my favorite codger

RunnerKSA, please take care of that right leg.

Jlynne, nice job on the 5.75 miles. be careful with the hammy.

Tetsujin, we will celebrate your great marathon this weekend at the Bloomsday run in Spokane next month. The whole Posie clan will be there.

Tamster, I hear your wish about the full ride scholarship. The Easy Pacer and I had kids in college for a decade...ouch, we are still trying to recover from it financially. Be careful with your recovery, sistahh.

PFrieese, you rock. How nice that you ran 8.4 miles for our one and only Henrun. I will run 8.4 this weekend when I am allowed to go a wee farther by my P.T.

Anzlo, look at you!!! 13 miles on a Monday. Great job1

Twocat, no, there is no way I am going to accept your post about your self-diagnosis...nooooooo way.

Today was a biking day for "Knee". So, Knee, my bike Carmen and I went off for an 11 miler after work today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - I went back and read your Sunday post re limited training for ultras.  I think people who have a natural gift can probably get away with less training, but I'm definitely not one of the naturally gifted, not to mention I would end up injured.  I have to put in the miles and the cross training.

Leslie - I haven't thought about it much recently but have always assumed that natural talent was necessary for being a fast runner but, since I have none, assumed that natural talent didn't have much to do with running marathons and more on little, if any, training.  That seemed, instead, based on muscle memory from lifetimes of various athletics that weren't usually so easily available to women. .Jeff Hagen was the first fast ultra-runner I've heard of who similarly eschews much training.  I'll definitely follow up on it. No matter what, it's why you and the other goddesses are so awe-inspiring..

Posie - see you at Bloomsday too.

Are you missing Orchards, though?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Well, Twocat, that just sucks. Is that a self-diagnosis or did you see a witch doctor?

30 minutes (3.45 miles) on the elliptical today after work, half mile walking on the track and some planks and bird dogs. That felt like enough. I ordered shoes last night, Hoka One One Cavu's. Some of the reviews weren't great but I've learned to take those with a grain of salt. Surly Bill, I did go read your post on the Gears thread and it seems several former Hoka fans are no longer such. But some locals and a friend (Aamos) said to try them so I will. Got a nice 20% discount (off full price) and free shipping, so it's worth a try. Found out RoadRunnerSports doesn't sell Skechers...

SteveP

Happy Birthday Henrun.

“Accidentally” picked up Tucker? How’d that happen?

Usually, it's because I sent a text to the wrong kid. I've accidently bought ice cream before too...Things happen.

KSA - It's nice when we discover notable people are down to earth. Those are some of the fondest memories of working in a hotel in my twenties and into my early 30s.

Dave59 - the ground hog was Punxsutawney Phil has been taken into custody. It must have been a big deal. Law enforcement dragged him right out of a treatment center. News footage shows Phil wearing a Grateful Dead T shirt too.  Sad...I hope justice is served.

Tammy - here's hoping for the scholarships. DD#2 received a number of smaller grants and scholarships. She's an RN now with zero student loans.

Holly- Sometimes Tag gives DW the "What's wrong with him look?". When we took Tucker home Sunday night, he pouted until we pulled into his subdivision.

Leslie - Thank you. I spent 7 years at the last place trying to make it work. The way I responded to the owner of the company says as more about me than him. Though he refused to pay for hand soap and towels in the employee restrooms and one pot of coffee per day for six employees.

UGH!! This is heartbreaking.

I know three people in consideration for the GM position where we work. All three feel there's value in the position I currently fill. This time of year is typically very slow. There are weight and speed restrictions on many roads and we can't make deliveries to new projects and the older ones are nearly finished. So...the quiet (calm before the storm) doesn't help the mood at our company.

With the trails beginning to clear, it won't be long before I have to cut back on the quantity of running partners as leashes will be included on the prime areas.

Two slow miles after work.

SteveP

SteveP

Of course I’m updating my resume. Should I include my skills at wandering around while ranting, “Who the hell took my......oh there it is.”?

SteveP