Masters Running

Thursday Daily, 1.21.13 (Read 46 times)

Was there a PBJ sighting. Oh no my mortal enemy... Good to hear from you. Hope the family is great. Coached my running group tonight. I run with them too. Tonight was hill repeats.. Boy did I feel great. Best run in years. Was dreading them but fell into a rhythm. Time for lasagna and spinach salad.

Cheers

tall

Recent Best times: None recently

C-R

I've been watching the Swamp if you're familiar with that group here and was pleased to find that I'm next to Wildchild in the list of annual mileage, and we're both ahead of the pace bunny in the quest for 2,000.

Careful with that crowd. They ain't right.

Oh wait, I'm part of that crowd. Nevermind.

WTG Tall.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm happy to be ahead of that 2000 mile pace bunny, especially with January being low mileage because of vacation.  But I see C-R is two pages ahead of me and Opie!  And Tramps, Perchcreek, and WRFB are all ahead of C-R.  Lots of good miles being run in the swamp!

C-R, have fun in Florida!  You too, Wannaberunner!

I ran 6 miles in the snow, 15F and snowing lightly.  The footing was slippery even with screw shoes and I had to walk up some of the hills  because there was no traction.  But a very pretty day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Funny but I do have several of my PT clients on running programs to increase their fitness.  I get a lot of flack about it but the kids love it.  I'm trying to pick a 5K to run with them.  That should be interesting!!!

Oh dear! They will never be able to keep up with you!  Smile

Happy almost birthday to Leslie and CR and Rene!

Only 2 miles for me this morning, followed by 35-40 minutes of core and weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Careful with that crowd. They ain't right.

Oh wait, I'm part of that crowd. Nevermind.

+1

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

There has been so much going on in my drama-filled life, it's just ridiculous.  It's a good thing I have my running and this place to come to.  Thanks.

Anyway--I've been running pretty well....including a 12.2 mile run, today, in 1:30:01....yeah, I was trying to get under 1:30...I think I actually did but just wasn't quick enough with the watch.

So...I'm thinking about becoming a Personal Trainer.  I went to an informational meeting last week about an academy offered through a large fitness center.  It sounds like a great program, but I don't have $10,000 to go through it.  Instead, I'm going to study for and pass all the certification tests on my own.  Eventually, I'd like to be on my own but, in the beginning, I'd like to gain some experience by working at a fitness center.  I think I'd really like to focus on helping kids.  I cannot stand seeing how fat so many kids are these days.  I remember when I was a kid in school, we did exercises at some point during the day...every day.  When did they stop doing that?  I know the pay is terrible...but I'm already making half as much as I once was....what's a few more thousand dollars a year....if I'm doing something I, actually, have a desire to do?

Okay...I guess that's all I had.  Thanks for letting me ramble.  And...if you're a person who prays....could you just add a little something about Eric?  He really needs it.  Thanks.

Oh--happy birthday Leslie and C-R...and Rene.  My daughter's middle name is Renee...I named her after an old girlfriend...my ex wife was a little irritated when she found out...but it was too late...he he...

Mike, great plan!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Okay...I guess that's all I had.  Thanks for letting me ramble.  And...if you're a person who prays....could you just add a little something about Eric?  He really needs it.  Thanks.

Oh no, Mike. I'm so sorry. Eric was doing so well. He's been added to my ever-growing prayer list. I hope everything turns out ok. I saw a blurb on one of the national talk shows this morning that personal trainers are one of the jobs that demand (and pay) is growing. Think you'd make a great one, but why $10,000? Can't you just take the tests, get certified and go out on your own?

My brother-in-law's name is Rene. My sister's name is Jan. Every time they go to a meeting, seminar or party where people don't know them, they always assume Rene is the woman and Jan is the man. Really ticks Rene off Wink

Good luck this weekend Ribs. You're going to do great.

Glad you had a great run Tall. Hey - whatever happened to that recipe for those awesome cookies you made?

Wow - 14 miles Twocat? After all you've been through the last year, that must have felt awesome.

Doodle all you want TomW. You too Jay.

In my attempt to stay ahead of what will probably be a "stop everything" speech from the back doctor tomorrow, I had a Y overdose this morning. 35 minutes on the eliptical, 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes of weights and core work, and an hour of pool running and swimming. Then I watched Will and Ben while my DS went to get my DIL and baby Nicholas at the hospital. Had the boys last night for a couple of hours too. What a zoo. I know why God won't let old ladies have babies! Thanks for all your kind wishes. DS and DIL will have their hands full (3 boys under the age of 4? No thanks).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I only know one renee but her b-day's on the Fourth of July.

Good luck to Eric, Mike.  I like the prayer list.

Okay, Mike.  maybe do the self-study and take the test as many times as necessary to pass, studying harder each time.  In the meantime, are there any area exercise facilities where you could be a run leader or something  noncertified under the direction of one of the trained personal trainers?  Then you could probably work for them when you get certified.  You can practice by trying to get me out of the non-running rut I've been in since 1/12/13.  I do not want to be on wildchild's zero list again..

ps   Is a PT like a coach but without a team? Now I have to figure out if PT means personal trainer or the physical therapist I thought it did.

okay, that's enough for my brain for tonight. Smile

Keep the grandkid reports coming.  I can't keep up to 3.7 yo grandson anymore and was getting more exercise with him at 2.5yo at the zoo than running that day's marathon that got preempted.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Did someone say cookies? or lasagna? hmmm.... either one would work.

Happy (early) birthday to Leslie and C-R! What fun is that to have a birthday on a Friday? In college, that was always the bomb cuz you could party all damn weekend. Oy.

Got home late but still managed a good run. 8.1 miles with 4 x 1200 m (.75 mle) @ 8:00, then 2 x .400 m (.25 mile) @ 7:30 with a lot of 8:34  in between and to finish. I've been doing the .5 mile repeats for so long I figured I needed to bump up either the distance or the pace. Started with distance.

We got more snow today. Temps aren't bad hovering around zero, but I don't want to deal with that fly away snow all over.

Hey Holly, March is only a week away!!!

Bushrat Runner

A quick swim-by posting...

I have been making progress with my weekly-ish swim workout and my weekly-ish run workout. But mostly in swimming. Because I was at ground zero starting swim workouts, whereas it's been a gradual erosion of fitness on the running side...though I am confident I will get it back...

Anyway, tonight DS didn't have practice so he came down and swam with me in the adult lap swim. He always wants to race me so I figured it would be good to let him get his jollies by beating me again...but I also sort of wondered whether I was getting to the point that I might be able to come close...

Since I have no hope against him at anything long yet, we made all the races 25 yd races. I didn't beat him. But in both breast stroke and freestyle, I was within a hand length...that's major progress for me.

But the real accomplishment, which I've been quiet about because it seemed a little unbelievable even to me, is that I can now swim the butterfly. I've been working on it, and since I'm teaching kids I've been trying to learn these things myself. Well, I'm truly not fast. But the past few weeks the stroke pattern has come together and makes sense now.

DS's first challenge was betting I wouldn't want to race him in the butterfly, and I think he was a little shocked when I told him I was happy to give it a try. Of course he thrashed me both times in that, but I am getting close...I probably have to beat him in the next three months or it will be too late. Whenever he hits his growth spurt the opportunity is lost...so I better keep swimming hard...

SteveP

We have a post office box and the post office is about 50 feet from my work and adjacent to my bank. Very handy to live in a small community (most of the  time).

Amen Sister.

What time is dinner Leslie?? Renee has a hickey?

(((((Eric)))))

SteveP

Prayers for Eric and for Mike.

And Mike - I think you'd make an excellent personal trainer.  Do something you love and it won't be work.

SteveP - Dinner is whenever I arrive! Big grin  (That would be around 4:00/4:30 PST.  See you then.)

Good luck this weekend, Ribs!

Lost at Bunko last night Cry, but still had a good time.

4 EZ mile this a.m.  Had a hard time getting out of bed, which meant I didn't get up early enough to get in my core/strength training.  Big weenie baby.

So I'm trotting my way back home today, running in the bike lane against traffic (not hardly any traffic at that time in the a.m., so no problem).  Two guys are running on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.  Guy in front is wearing a red sweatshirt with the hood up.  Guy in the back is wearing . . . oh, whatever.  It doesn't matter to the story.  Anyway, Guy in Back and I waive at each other, and just as they both go outside of my peripheral vision I hear this great cashing sound and turn around 'cause I thought one of them had fallen.  Nope.  Hoody Guy ran straight into a metal sign post!  I turned around and saw him stopped, holding his forehead and nose, Guy in Back trying to see if Hoody Guy was okay, then they proceeded to walk a little bit.  I'm sorry, but I couldn't help giggling.  Dude!  Watch where you're going!!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance