Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.12.13 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Where's Holly this morning? 

Enjoy those 'cold' temps in N.O. while you can, Marj.

A run in Central Park is always a treat, CNY - nicely done.

Welcome back Wildchild - sounds like it was a good trip with some good hiking.

Dave, I wish my beard would keep me warm, but I guess I didn't insulate it well enough when I grew it.

Sunkid, staying comfortable in the cold is all about keeping your extremities covered and layering. Good luck with your final prep for your year-end half.

Mike, I guess you'd better take your umbrella hat to Huntsville!

Glad it warmed up a bit for you, TomW.

Nice run in the chill, Tselbes.

Excellent report from the Doc, Spareribs!

I'm glad things went well for your DW, C-R. Continued good wishes for her recovery.

Too late for me to be good, Jlynne. There's always next year...

Travel safely, Twocat.

So that's what hills are, LaT. I wondered...

Flap those arms, Mike!!

6.3 racewalking miles at 4:05. 17F with a windchill a degree or two under 10. Thanks to some sun yesterday, the roads were dry this morning, except where evaporation from a marsh was blowing onto the road to slick it up a bit. Luckily, it only slowed me a bit, and I stayed upright, so all is good. After the first mile, all my splits were in the mid 11s, which shows that chilly weather can motivate me to walk faster.

A local food/candy/newstand store is celebrating its 100th anniversary tonight, so we're going to stop by to congratulate them, and to buy a copy of the book the wrote about the history of the family business. I love local success stories like that!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...Welcome to sunkid//////////

...............mornin' jay

================

double wgt sessions today

holding for 10-seconds at the top....................YOWZA

went back to 15-min x-bike standing

hopefully that will help,

had a few BadNights lately

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Jay - the beard is mostly psychological.

Today was a gym day.  Treadmill warm up and the some weights.  I don't run or workout all that hard, but after about a month now of some consistency I am starting to feel like its all doing some good.

lamerunner

Good morning!  Sunny and cold in the northeast, with more snow on the way for the weekend. 11 degrees this morning, calm winds. I ran about 8 miles; roads pretty decent though sidewalks impassable and there is an icy patch here and there. Drivers were more courteous than average, which was nice.   I don't quite have my cold weather systems figured out yet this year, overdressed slightly this morning, but toasty is not all bad.

Crazy week with my travels last week/ weekend and DH in London. I have had to do all the school driving for DS, so my morning schedule has been a mess, plus we have had icy roads. Nice to get out this morning-- DH is  back,  though tired. Yesterday I just did yoga; Tuesday some tempo work on the TM.  Running faster was a bit of a shock to my legs, but some level of speedwork is practically the only way I can stand TM running.  I did get a nice 10 miler on the Presidential rail trail last Sunday before the snow and ice  came.

Nice running Karin; your miles are impressive. I have not run in Central Park in ages, but I remember it as being very nice. Wildchild, your trip sounds terrific. I was in LA area late last week also, and it was not warm by their standards-- maybe 60 for a high and 40s at night. I had to chuckle a bit when running in the morning though; I was in shorts and light long sleeves; locals wearing hats and mittens.

Happy running everyone; stay warm!

ribs, I'm glad to hear your medical checkup went well.  C-R, I'm glad to hear your wife's surgery went well.

The plan was for a short run this morning.  I woke up to a temperature of 6° and some wind.  I decided that, since I'd already had two chilly runs this week, I could do the TM with a clear conscience.  It was 4 miles at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

You will be happy to have her home C-R.  Glad everything went well.

Karin, good run in CP.  Other than the NYC marathon I've never run in the park, even though I am from NY.

Sunkid, you got some great advice here.  If you have a long, cold run or race, three things to keep in mind.  1)  Layers, with a tech top against the skin to wick.  Light stuff is best.  2)  Focus on your hands and your head. If you can just keep them warm, everything else is fine.  3)  For a race, go to Good Will or something like that and buy a cheap, bulky long-sleeved top to keep warm at the start and in the first mile or two, then take it off and throw it away.  You will be fine.  (Aamos taught me the trick of cutting a notch at the top front and bottom of a sweat shirt or similar garment, and another long slit through the cuffs, and then when it's time to get rid of it you tear it away like Superman, and don't have to pull it over your head.  One of the best tips I ever got.

Thanks all of you for the hand warmer and glove ideas.  In full disclosure, they are not for me, but for RP, whose birthday is next month.

5.2 on a clear, still, sunny day, 28 degrees.  This is shorts weather for me and the park is finally clear enough to run at a smoother gait.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

and then when it's time to get rid of it you tear it away like Superman

I love this line......

Fly-by at lunch as I eat my sandwich at my desk...

4.2 miles on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Fly-by at lunch as I eat my sandwich at my desk...

You just had to say "fly"...I realized, this morning that, not only is it Friday the 13th, tomorrow, but it is 2013!  That can't be good.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think they cancel out, Mike.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No particular reason but does your plane leave at 1:13 p.m.?

Not to worry you any more than necessary

but does the airplane have a  row 13?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Planes do have row 13. Ruh roh.

Thanks for all the well wishes. DIscharged today before lunch. Whirlwind but the care was excellent and she was actually able to get some sleep last night. My story is a bit different. Hospitals are busy places and not somewhere to get any rest. We got home and got things all fixed up and hit the treadmill (that will be my home for a few days to be close at hand) for an easy 10.

Ribs hit the layering thing right on. I actually keep old race shirts to toss and I wear one sock hat for the first part of the race that is a cheapo and toss it to wear a dry one. I found keeping your head dry really helps with the warmth too. Love me some Goodwill toss aways too.

You guys are great. Thanks for the support. Glad I stumbled into this bar.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

No particular reason but does your plane leave at 1:13 p.m.?

Not to worry you any more than necessary

but does the airplane have a  row 13?

does your flight number have a "13" in it. I sure hope you aren't leaving from Gate 13.

Tammy

TammyinGP

You just had to say "fly"...I realized, this morning that, not only is it Friday the 13th, tomorrow, but it is 2013!  That can't be good.

and it's the 12th month of the year.   1+2=3. take out that two and you are left with 1 3 .

Tammy

....mikeE//............as long as you're not a Knights Templar, you should be ok........

just don't knock over the Salt

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R - awesome news!

Mike - remember, flap your arms......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."