Masters Running

Friday, 9.16.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quick walk-by this morning 'cause we're on our way away.

Half of the RTB team stopped by on their way to the relay yesterday afternoon, and it was great to spend some time with LaT, and then to see Mariposai, Haller, and TwoCat. Their 12-member, 2 van team, with LaT leading off, starts at 8am this morning, and they expect to finish by 5 tomorrow afternoon. They've got great weather, and they are going to have a blast!

I went 8.4 sproinkless RW miles this morning in 49F temps with nice, dry air and a bit of a westerly breeze. I got to see the gorgeous, nearly fool moon rising on my way to a meeting last night, and got to see it again as it was near setting while I was out there this morning. My legs were quite fatigued from yesterday's workout and other stuff, hence the sproinklessness this morning. So it goes.

Have a greta Friday, and best wishes to all of this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning, Jay!  Hope your legs get their sproink back.

Dave - Wow!  Praying the docs figure out what's going on with you.

I've raised the white flag and am going to the doctor today.  There are some things we just can't heal ourselves.

Have a great Friday and weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

two mile out-and-back to Mary's Falls fizzled due to high water trail closures so took alternative to nearby photo point peninsula overlook, . .  only to find mama sow and three yearling cubs deciding they wanted to come back at the same time.  At least I'll have some good pics to share at Portland, and maybe try to post if I can figure out the ones from DD's i-gadget or whatever but I doubt it

Happy relaying to the rosie's.

(has she ever made a guest appearance, . .  or sought payment for use of her name?).  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - awesome meet up!  Good Luck to the RTBers!

{{{Steve's MIL and FIL}}}

I headed over the Y this morning and swam 28 lengths (14 laps), then did 20 minutes of pool running and about 15 minutes weights and core.

Heading over now to the Air Force Marathon Expo to meet up with Amy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

Can't wait to hear more from the RTB'ers!  No running for me today...Fridays are a rest day according to my training plan.

My son is doing a 2-day race walking workshop this weekend! http://www.racewalkclinic.com/Clinics/2016BostonRaceWalkingClinic.php Hopefully he will learn more about his technique, because I sure as heck don't know anything about it.  Jay, have you heard of this clinic before?

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

evanflein

Light day around here. I have to say that racewalking looks like it would be hard on the knees. In the example of straight leg stride (bottom of that site), it looks like the knee is hyperextended?

Steve, sorry to hear about your FIL, that's really such a terrible disease.

Today started out foggy and rainy (really? where was that in the forecast?) and it kept up till almost noon. Then it got lighter and brighter and then the sun came out! I got out for a short little run, just 2.8 miles, and everything felt fine! Very happy about that! Now, about an hour later, no soreness creeping in so again, Yay! Cautiously optimistic about tomorrow...

Marathon Maniac #957

Love, love, love seeing Amy and her husband Dan here for the Air Force Marathon and HM (Dan is running the HM).  Given my hamstring issue all summer, I am not fit to run tomorrow's marathon, so I just picked up my shirt and am saving myself for Portland.  Here is us at dinner tonight in downtown Miamisburg, Ohio.  Behind us is the river in the background where the running path is that I so frequently run on.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

There should be a like button for that!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Love the photo, Holly. Smart move to skip the race since Portland is just three weeks away.

SteveP that race is just for you and tag, isn't it. Looking forward to pictures. So sorry about FIL and MIL. That is so heartbreaking.

Leslie, did you get some meds to knock out the crud? I have been getting sick for two or three days now, just cold symptoms, but I do have a race tomorrow so really hope it doesn't get worse. Now my foot is starting to ache like crazy and I am having second thoughts about even running.  DS and three grandkids are here for Turkey Days so we will do the carnival, watch the turkey race (there is a competition between Worthington and Cuero Texas for the traveling trophy of tumultuous triumph). The parade is usually fun but maybe not for a 3 and 5 year old. I guess I am disappointed that DS isn't bringing the kids downtown to watch the race. They will just stay at the house and watch for me at mile 4.35.  I looked up last year's race results; only 4 women older than me and 3 of them ran super speedy! 43:45; 51:42 and 59:47; age 60, 61 & 62. It should get easier to place in a new AG, right?!!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I am rooting for you tomorrow, Erika! You always have a great support team at Equinox.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

what's a guy supposed to do when it doesn't work out to go running?

why, go fishin' with GS instead. yippee.

coho (silver) salmon

(Oncorhynchus kisutch humungus)

(GS added the latter)

EQUINOX IS TOMORROW!

I missed Equinox Marathon was coming up so early this year.

Where's ilene when I need her?

There's a few marathons where you still remember every step and,

even though it was almost a quarter-of-a-century ago,

Equinox is one of 'em. Have fun! Say Hi to Marcie.

ps - happy 24 bertha.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Say Hi to Marcie.

I always do, Tet!

Yeah, those are bullet holes. Welcome to Alaska.

Here are some other pictures of the course (from 3 weeks ago, yes it was an outstandingly gorgeous sunny day)...

This is about mile 10.5 and yes it's really (really) steep.

This is mile 13 on the way out, and 17 on the way back, so the "out-and-back" is 4 miles. On a good day, I can do it in 45 minutes.

This is looking down the out-and-back, mile 15 (and the turnaround) is about half a mile down there.

Back to about mile 16.5 (ok, or it could be 13.5 on the way down), you're at the top looking southeast with Fairbanks in the distance. If you looked to the right abit, you'd be looking straight out to the Alaska Range (those are just the hills east of Fairbanks that you see here).

And some of the blueberries I found at about mile 14.5, I went back the next day and picked half a gallon of blueberries here.

Ok, that's the most pictures I've posted in ages. Time to get ready for a run tomorrow...

Erika,

wishing you a great day no matter the outcome. You have nothing to prove at this point in your running life so get all the joy out of this epic race that means so much to you. Can't wait to here the story . Thanks for the pictures some of us can only dream of running in such a beautiful place and you get to do it anytime you want. Except maybe when the snows up to your chin. 😳

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down