Masters Running

Master Runners Introductions! (Read 228 times)

TammyinGP

welcome Murray! Nice to have you join us!  
    We post a daily thread and chatter there can range from anything from our running, to kids, to food . . . well pretty much anything  (well, except politics or religion). 
    Jump in the fray!

Tammy

Welcome, Murray!!  Look forward to getting to know you better ~~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MurrayM

Thanks!

Have run in the past as a way to train for hiking in the mountains, but never as thing unto itself. I live in a small town at roads end, so it'll be nice to 'rub shoulders' with people who are also into running.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Have run in the past as a way to train for hiking in the mountains, but never as thing unto itself.

Murray - me too, except for winter skiing.

We even used to have a "mud run" across the tidal flats at low tide.

However, now that Father Time's slowed me down from 4hr marathons for the first 25 years of my 44 years of running but which, now being down to the seven hour range, I started back into hiking two years ago too. Does Kitimat have any marathons or races up-and-down the local mountain.  Your 10% increase goal'll have you at the top in no time. With a lifetime of a job needing you to be in shape, it must be fun doing it without having to carry a mailbag.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MurrayM

Murray - me too, except for winter skiing.

We even used to have a "mud run" across the tidal flats at low tide.

However, now that Father Time's slowed me down from 4hr marathons for the first 25 years of my 44 years of running but which, now being down to the seven hour range, I started back into hiking two years ago too. Does Kitimat have any marathons or races up-and-down the local mountain.  Your 10% increase goal'll have you at the top in no time. With a lifetime of a job needing you to be in shape, it must be fun doing it without having to carry a mailbag.

No marathons or mountain runs around here, but there are a few 5K's, 20K's, and a 10K that romps around a hilly trail outside a neighbouring city. I'll be reaching out to a few of the local runners to see if they want to start a trail running group. There's safety in numbers when Grizzlies are involved.

That low tide mud run must have been a stinking hoot!

I'm posting this for the more recent RA Masters who have joined since I went AWOL. The rest of you know me!

I played basketball, volleyball, and badminton in high school.  Basketball was my love.  I *almost* made a college team; however, in Canada back in 1984, that actually meant I was pretty bad, not almost good.

After 2 kids in my late 30s, at age 40 I started playing recreation league basketball again, and after 1 year, tore my quadriceps tendon jumping down off a rock at a playground.  No doubt micro tears formed from all the sudden direction changes and jumping while playing basketball in a rather unfit shape and attributed to that injury.  I could not put weight on that one leg if I was walking downstairs or bending; searing pain.

My rehab with a PT got me nowhere. I started jogging on a treadmill at the gym where the PT office was, as I noticed as long as I was not going downhill or bending, my knee was fine.  Slowly I built up muscle in my legs and the tendon healed.  In the meanwhile, I got hooked on the endorphins from running.  "Enkephalin" is the British term synonymous to endorphin, the body's natural opiate.

I starting wondering how one gets faster at running - what do you do?  Is it a simple training formula?  Found CoolRunning and joined and researched running.  Then CoolRunning imploded and I ended up here.  I've met several people from this forum in person, memories I will cherish forever.  Relays....oy boy!  Over a few years, I did 1 marathon (age 44, only about 3.5 years after I started running seriously) and about 12 half marathons.  And of course several 5Ks and 10Ks.  But life got in the way, in that I found my self suddenly single and raising a 10 and 12 year old mostly on my own.  I still ran, but I also became more and more focused on work so that I could make sure I'd be able to provide for myself and my kids once the alimony and child support ran out.  Now that I've met that financial security goal, I need to focus on fitness and my health again as all work and no play...

During this time I was also dealing with a chronic ouchy knee issue, which also encouraged me stop running for about the past 4 years. I have done tons of hiking, and a few 7 day long backpacking trips (with no cell reception)  - and I am now a bit obsessed about backpacking.  But the dang knee seems fine now.  So time to give running another try, but more gently this time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I randomly popped in and look what I found!  Enke, we'll be in Seattle Dec. 20th-Jan. 4 so we should meet up for a run.  We'll be on the north side where our kids live now.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

RunningJimbo

Hi All,

I am Jim and live in the Raleigh. NC area.  I am 72 and have been running since I was 17.  Not ever a competitive runner but a steady one.  A few races here and there and have now gotten enthused about 5ks again, having done 5 in the last few months.  I have medaled in all 5 with times in the 9:20 - 9:40 range. (Most were very small races). I am improving but of course want to do better.  I put a post on this forum earlier today seeking advice on leg endurance and that is how I learned about this masters group and joined.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/3641c7a2bcda412dbe5d262957982c46

Running is something I have always thoroughly enjoyed and hope to keep it up as long as I and all my parts can.

Jim

Welcome, Jimbo!  We have a daily thread that covers everything from walking to swimming to biking to pooping to motorcycle riding to pets to kids and grandkids . . . and sometimes we talk about running.   Feel free to join in any time.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RunningJimbo

Thanks for the welcome Leslie.

Hi, Jim. You will fit right in here.  You will gradually figure out who we all are as you read and post on the daily threads.  I'm Karen from middle Tennessee and I'm 69.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

kcam

Ken from San Jose California.  Just me and my wife in our home now.  Three kids and 5 grandkids living in Davis, CA and on Long Island.  I'm from New Orleans but much of my formative years were spent in El Paso, Texas.

61 years old and have been running for about 30 or so years.  Typical adult-onset runner - hated running when I was a kid, played baseball and basketball.  I've been logging on RA since Coolrunning imploded, which I think might have been around 2008 or 2009?  I love RA and have even built a very useful (to me only!) excel tool to look at my data in much more detail than can be seen on the RA site.   I used to run a marathon or two a year but haven't run one in 3 years.  Had a heart attack at 58 and had two stents put in on my LAD artery.  I run with no apparent ill effects.  I sill put in the some miles but not like what I used to.  PRs, if one is interested, can be seen in the PR section of my log (those are long past, set in my early 50s).

Hi, Ken, and welcome.  I'm Karen and spent 30 years in Dallas before moving to middle Tennessee.  I grew up in the northeast.  Been running since the beginning of time.....   No marathons in the last few years for me, either.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MurrayM

Well, slap my ass & call me Judy! This means I’m not the new kid anymore 😁

Welcome aboard...newbie.

TammyinGP

yep, looks like you are well on your way to being one of the old-timers here Murray. 
                                Welcome Ken!  Most of our postings and banter and talking about everything that may be unrelated to running will be in the form of a daily thread that someone starts each day. anyone can start it.  and sometimes the dailies can be overwhelming with the amount of postings, etc. but please don't feel the need to remember everyone or comment on everything. Just pop in when you can and post how much or little you want.

I'm Tammy (that's why I picked that handle  Wink and have been running / posting here for about 15 yrs. Nice to have you join us!

Tammy