Masters Running

Monday, 1.30.17 (Read 40 times)

Tammy - I saw and talked with Scary Clown Dude.  He and a couple of friends were sitting near me on the bus to the starting line.  I realized who he was once I figured out they were talking about the relay.  Of course, once the start horn sounded, I never saw them again. 

Tet - The water level of the creek crossing varies, depending on the amount of rain we've had, and the race start/date varies to coincide with low tide.  This is the deepest I've seen it in the 5 or 6 times I've run the race.  The finish line is another 2 1/2 miles down the beach. It's like a beautiful dance in hell.  The view is stunning, but it takes FOREVER to get to the finish line.  And when you finally see it in the distance, you know it's still another 10-15 minutes away (at least for me).

As we were crossing, the lady in front of me (probably late 60's, early 70's) stepped in a low spot, instantly lost her footing and went in up to her neck, but never let go of the rope or her water bottle.  It was a few tense moments as the Coasties worked with her to get her feet back under her.  Her comment was, "THIS has never happened to me before."  She was very calm about the whole thing.  After we got across, she and I were running together most of the rest of the way and she said in her 35 years of running the race, that's the first time she's lost her footing.  If she'd lost her grip on the rope and got past the rope crew, there was another rescue swimmer a few feet away, as well as plenty of other rescue folks staying near the water.

Beautiful pics, Tramps.  It looks very quiet and serene.

Love the squirrels!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Just a quick flyby until I have more time.

Video of the river crossing at Saturday's Clam Beach Run.  I'm 5'8" and when I came through, the water was about mid waist.  It was fast, COLD, and deep!

I'd be one of the folks carrying their shoes. I don't like running with wet feet.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'd be one of the folks carrying their shoes. I don't like running with wet feet.

Yes, but then you have wet, soggy feet, covered with sand, that you have to get back into the shoes and socks.  Or if you left the socks on, wet soggy socks.  Plus walking across the rocky bottom shoeless.  Not sure which option is worse.

Marj - wish I was there!

Enke - looks like fun!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Curious....I couldn't see Marj's pictures, just a blank space.  I usually use a Firefox browser, so I switched to Chrome and, voila, there they were.  Then I noticed my pics were double posted, which didn't appear that way in Firefox.

Is this a known issue with photos and Firefox vs. Chrome?

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Tramps - I use safari and photoshop - maybe they don't sync as well.  occasionally i can't see photos the first time, but later they show up - not sure why.

fatozzig - you're crazy going in water that deep - definitely shows what a wimp i am.  i hate those races when you can see the finish line, but it's no where near -

boston/ massachusetts doesn't have happy hour, but fort lauderdale does and we're enjoying it!  all the places have different rules, but we've found a couple we've really enjoyed both the food and the wine - and dinner gets cooked much later!

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, that race looks beautiful!  The river crossing reminded me of the Moab Trail marathon a few years ago, when the creek was up to the bottom of my shorts - but poor Holly tripped and fell, and got completely soaked!  She's shorter than me, and likely would have been up to her shorts in any case.

I rolled my ankle on a trail run about a week ago, and it's still a bit sore and swollen, but at least I can walk okay.  But not sure when I should return to running.  But on the bright side, we drove from Texas into Mexico today, and got to a climbing are called Potrero Chico, near Monterrey.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.  Beautiful place!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

5 completed on the tm. Apparently the sun came out to play while I was working and I missed it.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

flats

turtle runner eximious

I got in 9 miles this morning, took me 2 hours. Wait, that was my morning commute   I watched the news before I went to bed and the stupid meteorologist mentioned nothing about snow overnight. I woke up to 12", and the lake effect snow was still churning. I wish I could be wrong at my job like a meteorologist.

Oh, I did manage 6.4 miles after work, on the hamster wheel.

Michael

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice x-skiing enke.

looks/sounds like C/R and flats could've joined you.

Kind of off the beaten track though?

up at the cabin?

be careful.

Thanks C-R. I went over to the library

for a little better screen view of the carrying shoes.

Not many socks showing but, if it's like most triathletes

\who seem to wear shoes after the swim

<<<(ed note: that would be everyone except him)>>>,

it's so hard to put socks on wet feet that most triathletes

do the bike and run sine socks.  Maybe trail/beach runners

ford with socks and run wet thereafter.  Neither way makes

much sense when it's lots easier, .. . and, especially on a beach,

fun without.

Little breeze this afternoon making it seem colder than 43o

plus some sprinkles dampening plans to add on to this morning's

0.5 miles.  Hope 0.5-miles makes Jay's list.  Sprinkles or not,

I'll do better tomorrow, . . . unless it's "showers,"

"rain," etc.,  whatever is worse than sprinkles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Up to your waist, Leslie?  So...that would be over my head.  Are you allowed to use canoes?

Since my speed workout called for 6 x 800's...and we got some more snow today...and I didn't feel like shoveling off a lane at the track, I went ahead and did my run on the streets.  It went okay.  I did a total of 8 miles.

One of my all time favorite cartoons was about happy hour.  It was 2 panels.  The first panel shows two guys raising their glasses, really whooping it up, with a sign that reads, "Happy Hour 4 to 5" and a clock showing the time at 4:55.  The next panel shows the clock at 5:05 and both of the guys looking very depressed.  I wish I could find that cartoon...it cracks me up every time I think about it...I'm cracking up right now.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

SteveP

Coastwalker, being out in the stars sounds nice.

Tramps, that's a beautiful creature.

Leslie, the river crossing looks fun.

Enke, Nice pictures.

Flats, UGH.

2.7 miles. We didn't get out until well after sunset.  It was OK, however, a tree kept following us.

SteveP