Masters Running

Tuesday 12/18 Daily Show (Read 337 times)

Tramps

Yep...I just went back and changed that.

Well, now it's not as impressive. Joking

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Well, now it's not as impressive. Joking

Well it wasn't. I got about 1.25 miles into the tempo...about a 7:45 pace and had to make a decision. Was it more important to get the planned 10 miles or the 4 - 5 mile tempo run. Honestly, I don't think 4 - 5 miles at 7:45 was in the cards today.

I'll try the tempo again later this week. That's easier than finding the time to get a 10 miler.

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting pace discussion today.  I run most of my easy lunchtime trail runs (flat trails in town) at about 9:30 - 10:00 pace.  My PR marathon (out of 6 total) was a 10:12 pace (happened to be the Flying Monkey!)   Does this mean I'm running most of my runs too fast?  Or does it mean I should find an easier marathon?   Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Or does it mean I should find an easier marathon?   Wink

This applies to you.

If the Monkey were flat you would have knocked off another 15 mins.

SteveP

No daily yet?  Really?  Everyone must be busy with holiday stuff.

Enke—ouch. Hope you’re not too sore today.

No kidding. It's unreal and uncalled for.

Nice suit Bill.

TwoCat: Have fun at what ever play you see with whom ever you go with.

Two mutts and I tried a new trail...Oh My Goodness! Tag looked down one of the hills and said, "You first".

SteveP

TammyinGP

1/4 inch of snow on the ground morning (yes, I said one quarter of an inch) and schools closed.

and the weather person on the news this morning was holding a vehicle window scraper and giving instruction on using the scraping end and the brush end of the scraper.

help me please. I can't believe where I live sometimes. . . Roll eyes

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

<Donning my Flame Retardant Suit>

This is where many Coaches would say: "Most People Train Too Hard, Too Often".

Here's how I think of my personal paces:

Recovery  10:00 mins/mile or slower

Easy  9:20 to 9:40

GA  9:00 to 9:15

MP  8:20 to 8:50

HM  (slow tempo) 7:55 to 8:10

10K  (fast tempo)  7:35 to 7:50

5K  (7:15 to 7:30)

Many training programs would have you training a bunch of miles Easy, with a couple of times a week at Tempo paces (repeats, intervals, and the like) with little to none in between there.  As you approach Marathon race date, the training plans will start a sharpening phase where you add in runs at MP to get the body used to the rhythm of running at MP.

Too each is own though.  No one size fits all.

Bill

Very interesting discussion indeed. Hansons considers MP and tempo to be one and the same, which I find a lot less confusing, My MP was supposed to be 9:00 but because I did most of my long runs at 9:25 and virtually no tempo training, I went into my marathon completely unprepared. I was also running my everyday runs closer to MP and recovery runs were hardly over 10 minute pace. This time around I'm taking it much slower, hoping that once I do start my next training cycle in January, I'll be able to handle that 9 minute pace appropriately.

That said, I ran 6.8 miles today at a 10:21 avg pace. Felt wonderful. Smile

Sarge, you and your wife did well in your 5Ks, 3AG amd 2AG.  rhoon, you've had some busy days.  I like the pictures of your run with your friends.  I wouldn't mind a road like the one you pictured, but would prefer to do it at a warmer temperature.  enke, what a bummer getting run down by a biker.  I hope you're ok.  Holly, I hope the hectic pace at work lets up for you.  Your boss is definitely getting his money's worth from you.

Nice long runs for Mike, fatozzig, Drake, Tramps, and Slo.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a little wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:54 pace.

Yesterday, in another concession to geezerhood, I got hearing aids.  I've known for several years that my hearing has gotten worse but felt that, in most situations, it wasn't a problem.  So far, I've discovered there are some sounds out there that I haven't known about.  Also, my wife is happy that I'm not turning the TV volume up so much.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

BTW, I've always found McMillan's calculator to be quite useful in identifying a reasonable ballpark pace for different types of runs.  (I hate the new format, though. Ugh.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Yesterday, in another concession to geezerhood, I got hearing aids.  I've known for several years that my hearing has gotten worse but felt that, in most situations, it wasn't a problem.  So far, I've discovered there are some sounds out there that I haven't known about.  Also, my wife is happy that I'm not turning the TV volume up so much.

I hear ya Tom.  (Pun absolutely intended.)  My DW would like nothing more than for me to get hearing aids.  And I guess it's probably time.  But I really don't like the thought of that nuisance.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I'd really like DH to get hearing aids, but he'd rather just guess at what people are saying and nod his head pretending he can hear them.  And I don't like having to raise my voice or repeat the same thing 3 times (the usual amount) before he hears me.  If you raise your voice often enough, you start to feel like you are angry (when you aren't) and heavens only knows what it feels like for the other person.

Just a tiny bit sore on my left side going to bed last night, and a weird pain in a ligament or muscle in my right leg today, so nothing serious from the knock-down.  Managed to run an easy 4.3 miles this morning.  35F and windy with Tammy's 1/2 inch of snow on the ground.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

Being a bona fide geezer, I also got a hearing aid. Since my R ear tested normal for hearing I only use a L ear aid. Marj noticed the change in my hearing almost immediately-she doesn't have to repeat herself over and over again. I don't wear it all the time but when I do my hearing is much improved. I even hear music better. Ditto on the TV and radio volume.

(((bruised & battered enke)))  

Hearing aids are great -- I intend to get one when the time is right.  My hearing has always been poor in one ear, and I have a hard time understanding men who have mustaches (I suspect I have read lips to some extent since I was little).

OK, anyway -- a little jog at timid slush-on-streets pace, to work this morning. 

mrrun

(((bruised & battered enke)))  

Hearing aids are great -- I intend to get one when the time is right.

++++

Not only are hearing aids great for the person who gets them, they're also great for that person's partner!!

Ran 5 home from work - great run, but gloves would have made me much happier.  the real feel was alot colder then the temps

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Not only are hearing aids great for the person who gets them, they're also great for that person's partner!!

True!

Roch - MP is for me a pace that is (like Byll said), faster than GA and slower than Tempo and hard to hold for 10 miles and astonishing that I can hold for 26. Yet somehow I have, at times.

6.55 miles for me this morning

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."