Masters Running

boomer mega marathoners in the wall street journal (Read 470 times)

Maniac 505

mega marathoners

I have run many races with larry macon,  I was at Bob Dolphin's birthday, but most of these guys aren't  maniacs.

I want to be a marathon runner when I grow up.

Tramps

most of these guys aren't  maniacs.

I beg to differ on that assessment.

The endless races I can sort of understand but this? "he chugged a Red Bull, a caffeine-loaded drink whose motto is, "Gives You Wings." He crammed two more cans in his back pocket and carried a fourth in a plastic bag."  Four Red Bull's during a marathon?!  My stomach's turning just thinking about it.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

that's just nuts.

- barefoot jon

Marathon Maniac #209

North America 100-Marathon Club

Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club #803

dave - after 105 marathons last year, when I saw Larry at the Frank Maier Marathon in Juneau this summer he said he was taking it easy and Juneau was only number 50 so far for 2009.  He encouraged me to run the Wishbone/Ghost/Seattle triple with him next week but I think finally catching up to your 12-marathons-in-12-months will be plenty for this year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow!   As a 70 yr. old runner, having started last year, I am inspired.  Red Bull?   Well, OK - it works.  My helper oddity to get through the race is gumdrops.   Tet - I don't think barefoot is in the picture for me.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - I don't think barefoot is in the picture for me.

it's the most normal part of me.  You too probably but you just don't know it, . . . yet. 

Are you coming to the Seattle half or 5K in Econo's stead this year?

I hope so.  <<<(kidnap/kidnap)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Four Red Bull's during a marathon?!  My stomach's turning just thinking about it.

I was thinking the same thing....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tet.  No, darn!   However, I will be there for support of RA runners at the June Marathon at Newport, OR.   Econo says she will be there, but doesn't know if she will run or not.  See you then!

Sorry, Holly, I don't know how to get the stupid quote thing taken away.  I'm not good with the forum mechanics.  

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Not a boomer yet (only 34), but Michael Wardian has already run 100 marathons/ultras and is FAST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZe1YNSrgs

Here's an (incomplete) sampling of his races:

(you can sort just marathons on the right list of race distances)

http://www.athlinks.com/myresults.aspx?rid=37763623

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks MM#1949,

most aren't so fast but for some more incredible, almost-make-you-laugh-they-are-so-crazy marathon

accomplishments, see the North America 100-Marathon Club membership list, e.g. a kid who finished 50 States & DC at age 16.

There's even someone who has placed 1, 2 or 3 in her age group in 103 of her now 115 marathons

and TomD has 6-in-6 days in the MM listing.

others do it with pacemakers, hip replacements, knees, etc.

http://www.100marathonclub.us/memberlistdoc.htm

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet.  No, darn!   However, I will be there for support of RA runners at the June Marathon at Newport, OR.   Econo says she will be there, but doesn't know if she will run or not.  See you then!.

We'll miss econo's annual SM appearance but look forward to the econo crew at Newport.

I hope you like oysters too.

ps -  if she's on hold at the time, maybe econo (and you!) can join me for a few barefoot miles (or blocks),
                        . . . . my pace. .

thanks,