Masters Running

Newbies - The New New Thread (Read 664 times)

lswife

Finally I'm on week 4 of C25K. Life has a way of getting in the way of running too often - that, and with my ease of finding excuses, running hasn't been daily.  But today - great 2.3 mile run.

A new ouchie (not really a pain...yet) - on the front of my left thigh, a bit to the side and about as long as my hand, there's a slight pain when I run. Yes, I stretch before and after, and as my dr told me last spring, not to try to run faster or on an incline when I'm on the treadmill. Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been running on a school track when the mornings are cool (not lately - heat and humidity that the weatherpeople call oppressive). Schools around here begin tomorrow so when it cools off a bit, I'll run in our town park as there's a marked 1 mile trail and a 5K trail.

A few weeks ago someone encouraged me not to worry if my race time on Labor Day's 5K is slower than last year's. The person told me just to enjoy the experience and not to worry about the time. Thanks - I needed those words.

Roberta

everyone on vacation?

Swam today. Only 65 laps. Got kicked out by the water aerobics group. Darn. This will be my last pool swim at the Springfield Y. Too hot, too dirty, too many grumpy old ladies.

Might try another short 15 minute walk/run tomorrow before work.

L's, always nice to hear from you. Yep never worry about your race times. Just run and have fun and be happy with the time you bring in.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Roberta, my 5k times have been slower this summer than last.  Oh, well! 

I have SLIGHT pains here and there every so often, but nothing too bad.  Occasionally I will skip a day if I'm afraid it's getting worse.

Good job on the swimming, Laurie!  Wow, 65 laps sounds like a LOT to me! 

I managed 7 miles this morning, but it didn't feel too great.  The heat and humidity really do me in.  It's supposed to be a little cooler the rest of the week.

Beginner all over again

Occasionally I will skip a day if I'm afraid it's getting worse. 

I hope everyone is staying healthy, toward injury-free

I think I am getting a sore spot on my leg, or just general ache.

Three runs ago I wasn't sure if I felt something come and go.

Two runs ago, I wondered the same thing.

Last run, for sure I had that ache same place, around the :50 minute mark but it went away.

Last run was my Longest Run To Date. 

Can you see that spike in my graph on my log?   

Yesterday my lower leg was sore. (day after my LR)

Today, I don't feel a THING in my legs.

However, I decided after today's run I will skip my next run and maybe the one after that. That will give me four or five days off.

Just in case.

If I'm not really getting shin splints or a stress fracture, oh well, this will be needless time off.

If I am getting a sore leg, shin splints, stress-occurence building, then the four or five days off might be helpful.

I'll be back next week, or tomorrow just to catch up. 

:-)

dg.

Frances, congrats on your longest run to date!   I hope everything is ok.   Are you going to walk or anything on your days off?     and thanks... it really is good to be getting better.  Ups & downs still, of course.  Monday evening things started to be wonky again, I saw the sports med doc today.  (a D.O.).   He fixed everything... then when I got home I realized that getting in & out of the car (new... cash for clunkers) is really tough on a wonky S/I joint.  (since it's 'out' again)  I knew that, & there are plans to fix it, I just hadn't realized that it might already be causing problems.  Oh well. 

Roberta good for you!   I'm glad that helped... we all need to hear things like that.  Even if we know them already.  That's one of the really nice things about this board.  How is week 4?   Can you tell what kind of actions cause that pain in your thigh?  What part of your running stride causes it?  

Laurie, you really were starting out carefully.  It really stinks that it hurt.   ....  maybe like LInda said... (it's not September yet!).   I can't think of why it would do that!   Have you had anyone look at your stride?  hmm, same question for you?  just when does it hurt?  (i ask only because I've been through it so many times)

65 laps??? wow.

did you try your run walk today? was it ok?

Linda, any new insurance/MRI info?    are you feeling better otherwise?

eek, almost school time, huh.  How are your DD & DS?

Teresa, it's seemed the week for tough runs.  I'm the same way with the H & H. 

Mike, how are things?   You were right.   I did it.   but it was not pretty.    14.14 miles ;-).   It was 85F when I stopped.    I did not have enough water.  And have to decide how to hydrate on the longest chunk.  It's fine usually, but not in that kind of heat.

Hey Kevin, happy birthday again!   I'm glad you cleared up the age thing, because i thought either the date was off or I've had our ages wrong for a very long time. 

eliz, sounds like you're feeling better.  course now you have the bug invasion.  bleh.

Beginner all over again

Are you going to walk or anything on your days off?

I haven't decided yet

Maybe I will swim for arm-exercise.

Maybe walk on day 4 and 5, but no walking Days 1, 2,3

I kind of want to stay off my leg "just in case."

People say if it aches, to run

If it hurts, to rest

Ache, hurt, ouchie, it's all the same to me. I can't tell the difference

Also, because of job and family obligations, I can't really afford to be distracted by leg owies when I'm trying to do my family/job stuff.  So that's another reason for me to rest "just in case."  I don't need the nuisance factor either.

Rindaroo

Frances - I say listen to your body.  Experience of how your own body reacts is the best thing to go by.  Of course, I learned this all the really hard way...

Debbie - no news on MRI/insurance yet.  Doc said give him 5-7 days, so I'm expecting to hear something next week.

Went for 2 miles on the bikepath today with DD.  1 mile walk, 1 mile run/'walk - have no idea how much run, how much walk - but probably about even.   Foot is a little sore, but not too bad. Leg isn't tight, it isn't hurting, so I'm icing.  I will see how it responds to see if this is a good plan or not.

Off  to do back to school shopping today!  Oh & I'm still getting a little tired, but feeling much, much better Smile

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy middle of the weekend all.  Sort of a strange feeling one for us.  After our 3 weekdays in Maine it felt really strange to come home for the weekend.  Of course the reason that we came back early was to get up at 4:45 to pick up DD at the airport after her red-eye flight.  She survived her first trip on her own, registered for the proper classes, and met up with some friends from her original visit with DW.  All in all a successful trip.

My 5K was also pretty successful.  This is the Cigna Corporate Challenge--supposedly one of the largest 5Ks around.  they were talking about  6000 people registered.  About 5000 finished.  I was the team captain (we did it last year, too) and I had 12 people signed up.  I had lost 5 by the time I got to Maine and then on the 2 hour drive to the race (it was in Manchester, NH) I lost 2 more, but gained one back--so we ended up with 6 folks.  But everyone found me at our meeting spot and I was able to relax and enjoy the run a little.  29:45 made me at least a little happy (I didn't want to go over 30).    It as fun being able to check my pace and HR during the race.  I set it to auto-lap each mile and could see how each mile went.  I think I need to push a little more.  My HR only peaked at a little over 140, so I think there should be some more space to go up.  Still working on adding distance, but tolerance for H&H has to come, too.

Roberta--enjoyment of the race is a lot more important than how long it takes.  This 5K I just did ended up being almost 5 minutes slower than my PR, but I ran it with friends and had a ball.  Still want to go faster, of course.

Teresa--glad to see you're getting out.  One of these days I hope we'll be able to spend enough time in Maine so I might get a run in with you.

Laurie--it's only August 15th--Not September yet--be good

Linda--Happy walk/running.  Glad things are feeling mostly good.

Night all,

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Frances, good job on the long run!  How are you feeling today?

Kevin, congrats on your race, and getting DD off successfully!  We were up at our cabin near Flagstaff Lake this weekend.  Beautiful!!  It's not very often that we say, "Wow, it's hot," up there.  We spent most of the day Saturday, and a few hours Sunday at the lake.  Even our collie got in the water, and he's NOT a water dog, lol.  He kept trying to shake himself off even while he was IN the water. 

The first night, around 1 am, we heard a LOUD noise that sounded like sawing.  DH discovered that it was a big porcupine sawing on the cabin logs!  He took off a window screen and poked it with a big steel pole.  Didn't do any good, though, because the animal showed up the second night, also.  People are telling us the only way to get rid of those animals is to shoot them, sigh.

After my hard 7-mile run Wednesday, I was kind of discouraged.  Friday, though, I woke up to 55 degree weather, and managed to go 10.1 miles, the first 8 non-stop!  Surprised myself.  Felt pretty good, and I wasn't even sore afterwards.  This morning it's already 82 and humid again.  Ick!  I may just go run on the Y treadmill.  I always get headaches when it's hot, and today is no exception.  I should probably go on headache medication again, but I hate the side effects (very dry mouth, and weight gain).

DS14 and DS17 both started XC practice this morning.  The coach divided them up into three groups (A, B, and C).  DS14 ran with the B group, which is great news.  He's NOT a natural runner, but he's been diligent about getting his miles in this summer, and is up to 25 mpw.  I'm so proud of him!  Both boys said it felt horrible in the heat!

Beginner all over again

- I say listen to your body.  Experience of how your own body reacts is the best thing to go by. 

I agree.

Today is day 5 of no run/walk.

No Cross-training either.

Lots of job work and overtime so it was a good time for me to take "off" after all

I'm kind of liking  the Lazy Life here! 

How is everyone doing?

Are we still in this same thread?  Do we need a new one  yet? ? ?

Are we still in this same thread?  Do we need a new one  yet? ? ?

Go for it!!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Hello. Just a quick note to stay in touch.

Frances, did you pick a cross training sport?

Theresa and Kevin, I am just jealous of your summers at a cabin in Maine. I would take it in a heartbeat, stray animals and all.

Eliz, whats new?

Mike, 4 miles today?

Me...lots of kayaking and cycling. One really good white water river trip on Sat. One really bad still water harbor trip on Sunday. I might never get in a sea kayak again.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Beginner all over again

Frances, did you pick a cross training sport?

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for asking.

It's going to be swimming, but so far it's been Job Overtime.

No running, walking, or cross training in 5 days.  Today, more overtime ( ka-ching)

Tomorrow, back to the Walk-Jog