Masters Running

Zola Budd (Read 632 times)

Has anyone read the Runners World article about Zola Budd?  She is living in the US, and getting into the masters running circles.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  She has a Half scheduled, and a Marathon.  Ever want to run with Zola?   I also see she is wearing shoes now.  Hum.  Whatdaya think?
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

That was an interesting article.  I didn't know anything about her.  Wow, she had a tough time with her dad!  I liked it that at 42, she was able to beat the college women in the 5K race!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear mother woods,

thank you for the zola update. She completed the NYC marathon in 2:59:53 last year after a 3:10 IN 2007 in South Africa and sugar fizzle at mile 24 in her inaugural marathon in London in 2003.  

Just the opposite of an increasing number of runners who do a little training barefoot but race shod, she said in a NYTimes interview that

"she always wore shoes to train and race on the roads (and) (o)nly when she ran track and cross-country did she go barefoot. . .."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/sports/olympics/27budd.html?_r=1

Did the article you saw in Runner's World say anything about the possible marathon this fall she has also mentioned?

http://newyorkcitymarathon.runnersworld.com/2008/11/zola-budd-runs.html

Pumpkin Push 5K logoZolaxx_2

ps - don't know all the details but Zola Budd was entered in last year's Halloween Pumpkin Push up here last year too.  Maybe you can come up this year. I kind of think Zola will be entered again.

Pumpkin Push 5K

Seward Park

Seattle, Washington

395 - Leigh Anne Dunkin 33 F 28:14 9:07
        296 - Sarah Schroeder 26 F     28:14 9:07
        397 - Zola Budd 65 M     28:16 9:07
        398 - Dorrain Mullen 39 F     28:18 9:08
        399 - Meghan Mullen 20 F     28:19 9:08
        400 - Chey West 22 F     28:19 9:08
        401 Meilene Tipp 21 F     28:19 9:08

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I read the Zola Budd article while on the drive up to UF.  Very interesting article.  I remember her race in the Olympics where she and Decker-Slaney crossed paths - literally.  I'm glad she finally seems to have some peace.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

tet,  I'd love to get DD2, who lives in Tacoma, to run the Pumpkin Push with me.  I looked up the site.  Love the area.  Did you run it last year?   DD2 is an attorney, like you, and "has such a busy schedule"   that I have a hard time getting her organized for the important things in life like running 5Ks with me. 

I don't think that article mentioned which marathon - will look it up.  

Econo has found a cinder track to run on, and I think another place,  and was out the first day.  Today she complained about the humidity, and only did 7 of her 15 miles she wanted to do.  Not like her. 

breger, I remember that Olympic incidend too, very well.  It was good to read her part of the story, and how it all worked out in her life.  She seems to have a pretty settled life now. 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks econo-mom.

The Pumpkin Push is pretty much annual now and has rangee from 25 - 50 minutes depending on costume.

In case you can get up here for it, I've got a barrister wig in case dd'll lend you her goddess of justice robe. 

ps - thanks for econo update.  Cinder track sounds good.  Maybe she can get out along the Pearl River too.  Early in the morning will avoid worst of the humidity, . . . and pollution. Any chance for the 10/18 Beijing or other marathon or fun run, if any?  Be sure to courtesy register (other benefits too, especially with her credentials) with the U.S. Consulate General. However, no matter how much she is liking being local, a gift certificate every once in a while to a fancy Pearl River hotel with spa, etc. will probably come to be appreciated.   

/

pps - did any of the econo-kids (or parents) ever run around barefoot in those days?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi Tetsujin!

Yes, it looks like virtually all of my runs will be on the Pearl River.  The promenade goes on for miles and miles on both sides of the river (kinda like Portland except farther), plus I can circle an island as well.  On the weekend I'll probably meet up with the local hash house harrier group (please pray for my safety, those of you who are into prayer), and the 1920's era cinder 440y track will by my home for Thursday morning speedwork.  Best of all, I can join the everybody-join-in dance lessons any night of the week on the river promenade!  Oh boy -- I think I'll join the cha-cha dance lesson first; it looks like the most fun.

Yes, Tetsujin, bare feet are happy feet.  When Little Econo was an infant, that's what we called them (babies should not have to wear shoes on their toesies).

It's brutally hot, and inescapable.  Tonight's low is "only" 75, but with the humidity it feels like 90 when I step outside in the early morning hours for a run.  I'm worried about getting in even one long run prior to the Macau marathon (Dec 6th), but I still might be able to work up to that.  Very discouraging, after running 15-ers with such ease just prior to leaving Oregon.

Sorry, Ma Econo, I hijacked your thread....

#artbydmcbride

Tet, that pumpkin push Zola Budd is registered as a 65 year old male??   (maybe someone is being funny)  Smile

Runners run

Yea - 65 yr. old male!   Incognito?   

OK, Econo, you must be lurking .

spacityrunner

Hi Woods lady!!!  Missed you hanging around here...glad to have you back!

Hi lurking Econo!!!!

I don't know of this zola budd, and have not yet received my RW mag...but now will make sure to read this article when I do get it....

Trails Rock!

Maniac 505

Jon, You Rascal.  Who did you register your dog as?

Hi Econo

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

davechief - no way my dog can do a 9min-mile.  Don't know about the Nike coach's Zola dog though.

Maybe I'll enter as Abebe this year. Jay Johnson directs the Boulder Running Campas well as writing weekly for the NikeRunning.com blog. . . . their dog’s first name is Zola, last name Budd    http://runnerville.com/about/

econo - I bet the Pearl River Promenade is the best running in China. 

Maybe check with mikemp who was running hard in Tokyo's HHH this summer but, in the meantime,

take it easy and forget about sustained, long runs until weather more amenable.  arigatou.

ilene - <<<(uncle/uncle/uncle)>>> - I was gunna go as barefoot caveman but no cavegirl. Sad