Masters Running

Spirit of Survival Half Marathon RR (Read 223 times)

pfriese

http://www.spiritofsurvival.com/ I've been pretty busy lately and not been posting much in the daily thread. I have a hard enough time posting to the weekly threads, but figured I'd be in deep trouble if I missed a RR. I'm currently training for the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon in November. This local race in its third year seemed ideal to measure how my training was progressing, plus it is probably as hilly a race as you can find in Oklahoma. The course winds through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Oklahoma. A beautiful run on the road through the open rangeland in the park with buffalo and elk possibly on the course. Goal for the race was to finish <2 hours maintaining pace on the hills. splits: first split: 1:04:07 second split: 52:11 garmin splits 1 mile: 9:26 2 mile: 9:13 3 mile: 8:51 4 mile: 9:06 5 mile: 9:26 6 mile: 8:49 7 mile: 8:29 8 mile: 8:27 9 mile: 8:08 10 mile: 8:36 11 mile: 8:45 12 mile: 8:38 13 mile: 8:28 finish: 1:55:48 4/13 in age group kudos to the volunteers and organizers. this was a very well run marathon, half marathon, & 10k. water/aid stations every 1.5 miles with enthusiastic volunteers. registration was smooth and start was right on time. great race, finished with negative split, & felt great the entire run (could've run faster). afterwards went to the small town of meers for their famous meersburger. all-in-all a great day. paul hours="" maintaining="" pace="" on="" the="" hills.="" splits:="" first="" split:="" 1:04:07="" second="" split:="" 52:11="" garmin="" splits="" 1="" mile:="" 9:26="" 2="" mile:="" 9:13="" 3="" mile:="" 8:51="" 4="" mile:="" 9:06="" 5="" mile:="" 9:26="" 6="" mile:="" 8:49="" 7="" mile:="" 8:29="" 8="" mile:="" 8:27="" 9="" mile:="" 8:08="" 10="" mile:="" 8:36="" 11="" mile:="" 8:45="" 12="" mile:="" 8:38="" 13="" mile:="" 8:28="" finish:="" 1:55:48="" 4/13="" in="" age="" group="" kudos="" to="" the="" volunteers="" and="" organizers.="" this="" was="" a="" very="" well="" run="" marathon,="" half="" marathon,="" &="" 10k.="" water/aid="" stations="" every="" 1.5="" miles="" with="" enthusiastic="" volunteers.="" registration="" was="" smooth="" and="" start="" was="" right="" on="" time.="" great="" race,="" finished="" with="" negative="" split,="" &="" felt="" great="" the="" entire="" run="" (could've="" run="" faster).="" afterwards="" went="" to="" the="" small="" town="" of="" meers="" for="" their="" famous="" meersburger.="" all-in-all="" a="" great="" day.=""></2 hours maintaining pace on the hills. splits: first split: 1:04:07 second split: 52:11 garmin splits 1 mile: 9:26 2 mile: 9:13 3 mile: 8:51 4 mile: 9:06 5 mile: 9:26 6 mile: 8:49 7 mile: 8:29 8 mile: 8:27 9 mile: 8:08 10 mile: 8:36 11 mile: 8:45 12 mile: 8:38 13 mile: 8:28 finish: 1:55:48 4/13 in age group kudos to the volunteers and organizers. this was a very well run marathon, half marathon, & 10k. water/aid stations every 1.5 miles with enthusiastic volunteers. registration was smooth and start was right on time. great race, finished with negative split, & felt great the entire run (could've run faster). afterwards went to the small town of meers for their famous meersburger. all-in-all a great day. paul>
      Nice race, Paul. Look at those negative splits and you were well under 2 hrs. Are the burgers still as big as I remember? I'd like to target this 1/2 next year.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Great job, pfriese. You just kept getting faster and sure beat your goal. Congratulations. TomS
          Paul, you got faster throughout the race, so I agree with you that you probably could have run faster. But as you said, it was part of your training for another race. Even so, 4/13 in age group is something to be pleased about. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            That's the way to race. Go faster during the second half of the race. Can you teach me that!! I am still learning. Fantastic finish. Congrats Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Nice race, Paul. Getting progressively faster is always a great sign!

Be safe. Be kind.

I'm with Tall on this one Paul - can you teach me how to run negative splits? Confused For a training run that you wanted to run in under 2:00 it looks like you hit the nail on the head and with some fantastic pacing to boot! Congratulations on a very well run race.
                wildchild

Carolyn

Great race and negative splits! One question: you said the race was in a wildlife refuge where there might be buffalo on the course? They're dangerous! Elk will run away, but buffalo will stand their ground.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

, but buffalo will stand their ground.
                    ...and can run pretty damned fast!! Shocked Well done & Congratulations!
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

#artbydmcbride

Very nice racing on such a challenging course! Good job! Smile

Runners run

SteveP

It's good to hear from you Paul. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Great race, finished with negative split, & felt great the entire run
                          This is exactly what I wish for in every race I run - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great job Paul...a very well run race...Congrats!!
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip