Masters Running

Thank you from the bottom of this ole heart of mine! (Read 575 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ribs--I guess for an old curmudgeon, you're a pretty nice guy.  Very happy that you get to treat the Saint to a nice weekend.  I'm also happy I could be a little part of this, too.

Enke--not sure if it's any consolation, but I read that the same way.  And I'm thinking "WTH, we all have runners condition and WE didn't get invited"

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

They could not have found a better person for this award. 

Congratulations for the honor.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Was there ever any doubt??  Congratulations to a man who has been an inspiration to us all.  I'm assuming The Saint is already prepping for her shop-a-thon?

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

Ribs -- Congratulations!  Amy and i had such a wonderful time doing this last year.  It starts with someone at the airport holding up a sign with your name on it; that's so they can direct you to the waiting limousine that will drive you -- just you and the DW, not a group or anything -- to the hotel in St. Paul.  They apologized that the stretch-limos weren't available that day; we had to "suffer" in a new Lincoln.  When they're not providing excellent food for the group, they give you money to go out on your own.  And speaking of giving you things, they gave me so much that they had to give me a great bag to take it home in -- and of course there was cash to pay for the airplane checked-baggage fee for the flight home.

But besides the goodies and the food, it was a real celebration of life, living and running.  You know the camaraderie of being with other runners, but this is a very select group of runners:  people like yourself who have gone through a health issue and have come out on the other side appreciating not just the joy of being alive, but of being healthy and being able to run again.  I met a guy from Wisconsin whose ICD, unlike mine (thank goodness!), goes off on a fairly regular basis.  It was great to visit with him and talk about something that is obviously of fairly high concern to me.  And running the race in the Global Hero singlet was wonderful!  People who knew what it was about were very supportive, and others who didn't would ask what it was about and gave me a chance to share my story.

Indeed, going into my Medtronic weekend last year I was almost wishing I hadn't applied.  I was real busy at work, we'd just gone to Florida the month before and I didn't feel the need for another vacation, I was running low on vacation time anyway since I'd taken much of the summer of 08 off with my heart deal -- I just wasn't all that up for it.  But it was truly an outstanding weekend that will surely stay with me for a long time.  After you go, you'll know why Amy was so anxious for you to apply.  Congratulations and have a great time!

DanL2 (ICD implant  2008, Medtronic Hero 2009)

OK, after reading this, sign me up for a heart attack.

And, I'm really glad Amy is willing to take on Ribs in case I can't be there...but I will do my best to be there!

CONGRATS Ribs!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

my money's on amy.

medical science did a lot with his heart but I don't they they can take the gentleman out of it.

You aren't going to kick my butt!  I have a big advantage now that I have all brand new parts, while you are stumbling along with those old ones you were born with.  You haven't got a chance.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Do you get a cape and tights?

SteveP

Congratulations.  This is just the best!  I am so excited and pleased for you.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Tramps

Very cool.  Congrats to Ribs and the Saint.

(And yes, Amy, we all chipped in but you took the leadership role on this; well done.)

Be safe. Be kind.