Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 11/25 (Read 283 times)

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” (Epicurus - Greek Philosopher)

Hey, Everyone.  And since we know Carol peeks in once in awhile - HI, CAROL!!

Arla - Enjoy the clean air.

First day of vacation - so far so good.  4 EZ miles this a.m. in very windy conditions, which worked great when the wind was at my back. Big grin  Now I'm watching the season premiere of "Burn Notice," then it's off to do some transcription.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - your staycation includes doing transcription?? No rest for the weary! 

OK, so I'm trying a stunt. I need about 68 miles per week to catch the darn 2000 mile pace bunny. It's stupid and pointless, but I'm giving it a go. Doubles are my friend. I think my body is up to it, it's just making the time, especially with the holidays scheduled. 

Another thing I have scheduled is...ahem...a colonoscopy. Maybe TMI but we're all in that AG. Smile  It's for 7 am on Dec 17, does anyone know if I would be able to run late that afternoon? 

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Arla—I'm going to go with no.  You will have had close to 24 hours with no nutrients and most likely some REALLY good drugs.  But then, you may feel fine based on your fitness level.  We're all experiments of one, right? 

i would have to do 26 miles a week to beat the 1000K pace bunny.  I'm betting you have a better shot at yours, since i don't think I even hit 30 during my best half training cycle.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Arla guessing no from me also. It seems as they restricted my activity for a day after but they did both ends on me. Mine was in the evening and I remember scarfing down a whole tray of yucky hospital food as soon as I could eat then going home and sacking out as the prep had kept me up most of the previous night and still groggy from the anesthesia.  The prep is annoying but otherwise not a big deal. Hope you lasso that pace bunny and reel him in.

Leslie hope you don't have too much "homework" to do on vacay,

Easy 2,  gut bug is gone, trying to take advantage of  a shrunken stomach and reduced appetite to lighten up.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Stumpy and Jim - thanks! I'll plan on no or very few miles that day. I've heard the prep is no fun and the drugs make you feel GREAT. A friend of mine who just got his said he could see why people abused those drugs. 

Jim - doesn't sound like the recommended way to go on a diet, but take what opportunity you can! 

3 + 6 today, feeling fine. I think doing the very easy (11 min per mile pace) am run does wonders, I was able to fly (for me) through my afternoon run at about 9:30 pace, which is actually a little too fast, but I figure when the sproinky legs fairy comes to visit I might as well enjoy it. 

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey Folks!    Popping in to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!! Smile

Leslie - you come up with the most "interesting" avatars......  try to enjoy some of your staycation, K?

Arla - avg 9.7 miles per day for the next 6 wks? Sounds almost like the backend of the advanced marathon/ultra training schedule I have on my wall - that I've never hit very well due to time constraints....of course, just like dieting (sorry Jim) you could "bank" a few miles to get through your Doc appt in Dec - plenty of time to sort that out....I'm leaning towards expecting the day off 

Stumpy - that calculation puts you at 3.71 per day....or, just under 2 in the morning + just under 2 in the evening Wink

Jim - Hope you're all recovered by turkey day!    I totally get the schedule intrusions - although, I'm pretty sure that my work schedule is never as intense as yours!! 

As I have absolutely nothing to do today (pies, salads, whole house once over...) my DH has just called to see if I can run a few errands for him (stuff he keeps forgetting to do on the way home & is now out of time on...)  Roll eyes so I'd best get Mairead out & about so I can get with the program. 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi All

Hey Carol! Good to see you again.

Enjoy your vacation Leslie.

Hi Stumpy.

Jim- good luck with the little belly.

Arla- I just did the math. If I ran 9.15 miles per day, I can get there.

Good luck! The worst part of that procedure was drinking the stuff the night before. Yuk!

Cindy- good luck with your program!

Taking some time off from running. Just getting ready for a bunch of peeps coming over tomorrow.

Much to be Thankful for this year!!

Enjoy !!

jfa

Ok, forget the time off running. My ever expanding belly is reminding me that time off is detrimental.

Soooo, on tonight's run I decided I'm going to go for it.  2000 miles or bust. 

10.75 m @ 9:47's tonight.

Queen of 3rd Place

OK, Joe, let's do this thing! If I can do it, so can you! Big grin

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Hope all your runs are fast and your turkeys tasty!!

Took advantage of a 5K turkey trot around our lake this morning. It starts about a 1/4 mile from home, so left home about 10 minutes before the start--no standing around getting cold. Guess I don't run in a crowd very often--I can't claim Toms claim of seeing someone that he knows at every race.

I did manage to do my fastest 5K since last Thanksgiivng--27:16 by my garmin. I was very happy with that after only about 3 weeks back to regular (semi) running.

Well, getting 500 miles for the year seems pretty likely (491 at the moment), but that 621 seems like a long shot, but I'm going to give it a try.  good luck on your quests.  Just went back and ran a graph for yearly and found I hit 650 miles in 2010, so I won;t set a new standard, but will do better than last year.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hi, Everyone!  Looks like everyone is percolating right along.

Arla - The Hub had a colonoscopy and I've had endoscopy.  I doubt either one of us could've done much running afterward.  As the others said, nutrition deprivation from the day before and residual drug hangover, not to mention the docs saying rest.

And 68 miles a week?!?!?  Holy cow.  Good luck!  I'll get close to 2000, but won't make it.  However, this will be my biggest mileage year yet, so I'm pretty proud of that.

I didn't run Tues., even though I was suppose to, so am having to do 4 days in a row.  When I got up Tues., it was pouring buckets and the wind was fierce.  Not a good combination.  So what happened within an hour of getting cleaned up for the day?  The rain and wind stopped and it ended up being a gorgeous day!  The Hub was home, though, so we hung out together.  We made a couple of loaves of persimmon bread without killing each other, and I even went with him on a job.  He wielded his hedge trimmer while I cleaned up.  Chalk up another point for me as The Good Wife.

Yesterday it was 7 miles with 6 strides, and today was 4 EZ miles and about 30 min of lower body and core work. Although looking at Arla's EZ - 11:00 m/m - my EZ's aren't EZ.  I need to close down on those days, really slow down. 

No big plans for today.  The Hub's working for a couple of hours, and I'm . . . well, I'm sitting on my butt hanging out on the 'net.  Will have my dad up for dinner on Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

OK, Joe, let's do this thing! If I can do it, so can you! Big grin

You're on!

Nice race Stumpy!

good going Leslie. Happy your home life is back together.

Had 15 peeps for dinner last night which was quite a feat since neither DW nor myself can cook much. We discovered something called "catering". 

It worked out very well!

Queen of 3rd Place

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I did the rounds of relatives homes and a lot of dishes and maybe a little too much eating. Big grin

Stumpy - nice racing! Must have felt great. Our local Turkey Trot tends to bring out a different group of runners than the usuals, no surprise that you didn't see familiar faces. 

Leslie - there's easy (9:45 - 10 min/mi) and then there's "jog" (trying for 11 or slower). Most of my miles are still easy rather than jog. It's really hard to jog! 

Joe - catering sounds like a good plan! I have also been known to go the paper plate route for big groups, it's no fun to have a big crowd come over if you're working your patootie off. 

Sending good thoughts to ev, and R2 and Carol and Mtn and everyone else out there who pops in on occasion. 

Speaking of patooties, it sounds like the consensus is no running after patootie peeking. Sad OK then.

3 + 4 + weights yesterday, 3 this am with 6 + stretching on tap for this afternoon. So far, so good, but I'm worried about the 2+9 and 16 over the weekend, might be some slow going. 

Ex runner

Speaking of patooties, it sounds like the consensus is no running after patootie peeking. Sad OK then.

Big grin

Good luck with all those miles, Arla.

Thanks, Joe.  My home life is one the things I am most thankful for.  It's been a long time coming.

4 EZ this a.m.  Ended up with about a 10:48 pace, so that's better than what I normally do for  EZ.

We didn't have any kind of a gourmet meal yesterday 'cause we'll have my dad up Sunday for dinner.  However, I did make oven baked French fries - the recipe called for too much oil and I paid the price later - and brownies from scratch - which are like chocolate heroin and I'm not sure we'll be able to eat them.  So all in all, a success! Roll eyes Wink

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

I'm worried about the 2+9 and 16 over the weekend

Me too. But we've been through worse.

12 miles at 9:17 today. Have to front load the weekend runs. It's dark here now at 4:30pm and getting colder. Weeknight evening runs will be more of a challenge. Also, the boardwalk, which is my favorite place to run ( lighted ) is now gone. That gym treadmill maybe getting some Joetime.