Masters Running

Saturday 4/6/19 (Read 39 times)

anneb

Good day people! I ran 9.4 miles earlier today in the forest preserve - paved trail. It was 48-57 while I was out, I wore shorts. Actually, in long sleeves was pretty warm by the end.

Nice race Karen! Looks well executed. Great picture and you and the GS Joe.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Anne

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My fear would always be getting lost!

Without any visible mountains or other landmarks, me too.

Maybe that's why Tag and Marley come along.

They must know how much we rely on Steve too.

Nice plogging, Tramps.

Me too, especially ever since I don't have to slow down

anymore to be going slow enough to pick up stuff but

usually only pieces here-and-there discarded

by some lowlife, not regular trash

scattered by the wind.

Took advantage of a lull in rain and got over for some late-bloom cherry blossom viewing at the UW I’d first experienced in 1962 looking like snow on the branches and reflecting on the quadrangle pathways too before heavy rain and strong afternoon winds should blow the remaining pink pedaled signs of spring into the next year.

It was a sea of dark blue!

It’s the same around here in the PNW
      with lots of event shirts showing up
      in popular citizens fun runs, e.g.
      St. Pat’s 5K, Hot Chocolate, etc.
      Probably mostly occasional runners
      who don’t have much opportunity
      otherwise to wear 'em in races.

Totally agree with you about NEVER wearing the race shirt in the race.   That's my own Rule #1.   Obviously others don't see an issue with it.

Contrary to some herein who like to wear race day

shirt to get in the race day pics, a wise one who

grew up as a runner extraordinaire and who

used to post herein adhered to the same.

Do your kids/gs's adhere to the same too?

Is it a superstition?

What's the origin?

Did some famous runner wear one once

and fall down, lose or something?

Have you ever worn one

on a bad race day too?

In fact, when do more committed runners
      wear a race shirts if not in the race itself?
      What t-shirts, if any, do you wear
      for races?

I mean- you can't ask for a much faster course than a runway, right?  Negative- lots of concrete.

KSA - so, when Bike Works couldn’t fix it in time, I was out on the old Kona Airport right outside town trying to finesse shifting w/o having the chain jumping off in mid-race and a guy on a then-bicycle equivalent of an F-86 Sabre jet cruised with a comment on what “a great idea to bring over a clunker to practice on.”  At least, he wasn’t talking about me, . . . I think.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Great story about the bike shifting, Tet!   LOL.  Not good to have a broken shifter on that Kona course!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

6.5 ez

I think I'm going to do the Dirty Dozen 12hr race here in July, so tomorrow I'll go run the loop a few times.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Just so happy so see all the miles we conquered all together here.

As for me 7 miles chasing the Easy Pacer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Welp, it was a heck of a game.  Too bad the double dribble was missed.  Instead of running from the apartment before drill started, I drove to the base and paced my boss on his PT test.  Since there was a threat of rain (didn't come) the runs were on the indoor track.  It's not a horrible track (8 laps to a mile) but the corners are all squared.  Anyway, he did well.  10:25 for 1.5 miles.  I got in around 5 miles when all was said and done.  Then a drill day.

Runway races.  Hmm.  Have done them, but don't seek them out.  For me, long straights are a bit.....soul crushing; I need to sense that I'm moving.  Reminder: runways are built to take advantage of the area's prevailing winds so it's likely (on an out and back) to have headwinds for at least half of it.

I won't wear the race shirt in the race itself.  I also won't cross the finish line during my warm up (most of my races are pretty small).

Joe, nice photo.  I had a bit of an epiphany while I was in Denver.  We're always looking for ways to connect our younger airmen to our mission.  May have hit upon something.  Maybe more to follow (or we can discuss it whenever we take that long run together).

Have a greta night everyone!

We didn’t have any wind today, fortunately.  There was just the slightest uphill grade going out and downhill coming back- just a little bit.   I felt like I was moving based on the other runners.  I would not want to do it often, for sure.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

I don't have an office pool or any bracket but both the teams I wanted to win, lost...of course.

evanflein

Good stuff here but no time to comment.

10.1 miles today that felt like a bit of a struggle as I build up mileage again. Did some work in the office then went shopping, and home to pack. Heading to Dallas/Ft. Worth for a conference tonight.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - Say hello to The Saint for me.  Will you be seeing Ribs too?

Mike - I hate mud...especially cold drizzle and mud.

Joe - nice picture!

KSA - nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."