Masters Running

Friday, 8.12.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sorry you're stuck in NJ and missed your 5K, Stumpy.

Nice swamp shots, TwoCat. Aren't you glad none of those critters were in CT? Interesting stats about shoe drops. I'm sure different stats would apply to racewalkers, who benefit from low/zero drop shoes.

Bummer about the ongoing knee problems, Holly. Interesting that the bike trainer doesn't appear to bother your knee. So can we deduce the problem is related to impact rather than the stresses of repetitive motion?

Nice swamp run for you too, Enke.

Nice 3fer, Dave. Sorry for the need to increase the cholesterol meds.

You have my sympathies for the friend you lost, Deeze. It seems that she was quit a woman. Nice bike sandwich.

Sorry about the fly fishing challenges, TW, but it seems you made up for it with good work in the pool. Congrats on your controlled response to the "Other One." Interesting request from him...

Evanflein, I'm glad you have the Dr. appointment, and I also hope you don't need it. Meanwhile, good luck at the gym.

You've earned that SRD, Larry, after all that hot weather running you've been doing. Stay cool.

Sounds like a good call to miss the Fair 5K, Starr, even if it also meant missing donuts and a shake. But you had nicely-declining splits on your own 5K, so congrats on a good run. I hope you and Mr. Starr get to the fair, and get that shake, this weekend. I also hope Mr. Starr does well on his tests and checkups.

Mariposai, congrats on figuring out and embracing the new running Posi. It's always good to know what works, and what doesn't.

Political dinner #4 was good last night. There was a lot of laughing and commiserating and wringing of hands, but no yelling or arguing. Lots of interesting ideas about what will happen between now and election day. We'll have one more dinner before the elections, and someone suggested we invite a Canadian real estate agent.

5.1 steamy and sticky RW miles this morning. It was 75F at 4am, and the dew point felt like it was over 100. The biggest challenge was just being able to suck in enough air to keep going. How refreshing to know that it is going to be like this till at least early next week.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

.. We'll have one more dinner before the elections, and someone suggested we invite a Canadian real estate agent.

+1  Find one that has a guest house, as I suspect you'd have a LOT of company! Good for you and your friends that you can discuss political issues in a "calm and rational" manner!

And thank you for your recap. It's like the Cliff Notes of the RA forum

Sorry that your sore body parts have not gotten better Holly and Erika. I wish I would have tried to be a part of the Portland group this year. After having met some of you at the Cellcom, I know this meet-up will be a blast!

Like most of you, it was already 73° with a dewpoint of 70 at 5:30 this morning. I started running, got to the corner about a half block away and was already gasping for breath. Back home, in the car and off to the Y for 5 miles on the treadmill and 30 minutes of weights and core. I don't know who took my running mojo, but I sure wish they'd bring it back!

I know I've told all of you about some of the issues my DS#2 has been having lately. I sold all of his appliances to a friend's daughter, and they wanted to pick them up yesterday at 3:30. Since my DS doesn't get done with work until 4:00, he gave me his house key and asked if I would let them in so they could get the appliances. This is the first time I've been in his house in months, and the mess was beyond belief. Even with the furniture out, there were piles of clothes, garbage bags and boxes all over the place. I was shocked and truly saddened that he has been living like this. I know he has depression issues, but he's always been very inward and never wanted to talk about or share things. He did tell me that getting out from underneath the foreclosure issues was a fresh start and he wanted to make some changes in his life. From the looks of this house, I pray that he will be able to do this. It makes me incredibly sad that being his mother, I never knew how bad things were or did more to help him. And my DH does not have a lot of empathy for all of the chaos that his bad decisions have caused us. Sorry guys, I just had to vent a little.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Went out at 12:40--too cloudy.

Went out at 3:20-- nothing.

Went out at 5:00 and.....shooting stars!  looking really close!!!

I'm so happy.  Then later, after coffee, ran almost 7.  I think I have a race tomorrow I need to check details about so I get there.

Jlynne, since my days as a PD and meeting with folks for hearings at the mental health facility, I try to remain aware how difficult just getting up and parting your hair and going out there is for so many of us.  I think it's remarkable he kept his problems to himself as he's done.  And now that you know and he's getting a fresh start, there's at least a path out of the woods.

Healing thoughts and wishes to all of you ailing.  And in NJ, which may be considered a form of ailing by some.  I'm ailing in spirit (error in the 8th).

So maybe I'm slow because of the weather??

Hope we all make the best of our Fridays.  As Erika pointed out, it's good to be getting up somewhere.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

My 90 year old Dad says he gets a surprise everyday - when he wakes up in the morning!

Yes, for some people with serious depression, just getting out of bed can be an accomplishment.

I was outside last night - set up a tent to watch the Perseids.  I saw one amazing streak around 10 pm?  And a smaller one after that.  Then I woke up at 1 am and my DD and I went outside to watch again, but nothing.

Thinking I might do 3 miles on my TM later.  It's too hot outside already.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

JLynne - It always made me sad when I went to my dad's house because he was such a hoarder.  We tried to help him clean up, but he wouldn't get the necessary mental help he needed to deal with the hoarding issues, so things just went back to the way they were before.  I hope your DS is able to get some help for his depression, etc.

Erika - Your foot sounds like mine about 5+ years back.  At the time, our life had gone into a tailspin and I didn't have the money for an MRI, but the ortho said it was either a stress fracture or a torn ligament, and either way, he would treat it the same, which put me on crutches for three months. Keeping fingers crossed that's not your issue!

I decided yesterday no more races this year.  Work is so incredibly stressful right now, the thought of having to train for something was just another added stressor.  My running buddy and I decided we're gonna do some scoutin' in our own back yard, with the first trip being an 18-mile round trip run in the Trinity Alps in a couple of weeks, which is about a 1.5 hr drive east.  I haven't been up there in over 10 years.  I'm looking forward to it!

Okay - Back to the chaos that I call work.  Have a good weekend ~ 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jlynne--when you described your DS's apartment, I thought you were talking about Eric's house.  We went over there, a couple of days ago, and it was a disaster.  I had to go in the basement to change the furnace filter and there are wet clothes down there...from something leaking...dog poop, a broken light bulb...the list goes on and on.  This is Debbie's grandma's old house and Debbie is just sick about watching it fall apart like this.  We keep offering to help clean it up and Eric goes ballistic.  Something has to happen soon...I am not sure how much longer we can go on supporting his behavior.  So--anyway--yeah--I feel your pain.

News around this house just doesn't get any better...Debbie's uncle died a couple days ago and, today, she found out that her dad has about a week to live.

In other news--we had made plans to drive to Utah to help Ryan haul his stuff back home...but Ryan has decided to move to Portland, OR.  He wanted us to bring something to him but we're thinking it would be cheaper and easier to pay for whatever it is he wants us to bring than to bring it to him.  I hope he can find a job and settle down.  For some reason, Portland is a place he has always wanted to live.

Okay--I guess that's enough from me.  I'm heading to a cross country coaches' meeting, so I should get going anyway,  See ya!

evanflein

Well, Portland is a very nice place. It, or the surrounding area, are on the short list of where DH and I might want to settle when we leave AK. You know, Mike, if it's your house (well, Debbie's or the collective "your"), you shouldn't let him treat it that way. He may go ballistic, but still....

My dad wasn't a hoarder, but had a very difficult time letting things go. He always wanted to save stuff because someone else might like it or he wanted to read/study it. And not stuff like miscellaneous this and that, but journals and newspaper articles, pictures, magazines (things like research journals), etc. He also had sentimental attachments to things that made it hard to part. I can understand, as I'm very much the same way. But he had to let go of so much when they moved to the retirement community and he just hated it. But, now I think he feels much better and loves the new place. He still has a lot of stuff in storage, but I think has gotten rid of a lot of it. He sent boxes of his research journals to various scientific groups and they were glad to have them. Dealing with clutter is something a lot of us deal with all the time. It's easy to let it get out of hand. Anyway, sorry to go on about all that...

I went out at midnight last night, and while it's dark enough at night now to need headlights, the sky still seemed too bright. I waited awhile and nothing. So I went to bed, figuring I'd get up sometime and check again, since I'm always up during the night it seems. Ha, not last night. So, didn't see anything but glad Amy and Enke did.

Took today off work and have been puttering around all day. It's a perfect day to go for a run but I'm not going to. Nope, not gonna do it. It's hard to let go of mileage goals, but I still have two races planned (a trail 5k next Saturday and the Equinox on the 17th of Sept), but I'm certainly not preparing for them. I also want to run Hartford with La Tortuga and Nally (remember him?), who are doing the half. Maybe I'll just do the half. But then, like Holly, I'll need to focus on getting better if I'm not by then. This is beyond being a drag. And no I don't want crutches for three months! Not sure if I'll ride my recumbent bike today or go back to the gym, or skip it altogether.

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm so sorry to hear about Jeanne's and Mike's issues with your sons.  It's so tough to just watch and not be able to help like you really want to, especially if they won't let you.  Best of luck to you both.   Makes me extra grateful for my DD.  I really loved having her and DSIL2B here last week!  I hardly did any running, but I didn't even care. I'm not really training for anything soon, and I'm so far behind the pace bunny because of the stress fracture in March that I figure I'll just run for fun.  What a concept!

Today I met a friend for a 13.6 mile trail run in a local state park.  She's very chatty, and sometimes chatty runners bug me - like when you're near one at a race and you either have to speed up or slow down to get away from them!   But she's really interesting - she races burros in 6 events in Colorado every summer, and has her own burro.  Lots of owners rent burros for the races, but then they don't usually make a very good team!  Yes, you can rent burros in Colorado to race with - who knew?

The wild raspberries are ripe, and it's really slowing down my running!  It's tough to run past a bush loaded with berries.

I woke up at about 1 am last night, and went out to look for meteors. I saw about 4 in 10 minutes, and went back to bed.

My sympathies to those of you gasping for breath - I do that too, but not because of H&H.  It was only 43 when I woke up this morning!

We're pretty buried in clutter at my house - my DH is a hoarder.  Actually, a lot of what he keeps does come in handy sometimes, and saves us a trip to town when we need a bolt or screws or a new modem or whatever.  But we have a ton of stuff we never use, and really should put on ebay or Craigslist, but inertia gets in the way.  Oh, well.

Happy trails!  And happy birthday to Stumpy!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I read everyone's posts (especially Mike's) and I wanted to cry. I know this is a running forum, but let me just say thanks from the bottom of my heart that I know I can come here with personal problems, and ALL of you are always here for me with kind words and similar stories that let me know I'm not the only one whose life is not perfect. This group offers comfort, support and - most importantly - no judgment.  I am grateful for your friendship.

That's hard Jlynne and Mike, I sympathize.  My DD14 is a terrible hoarder, as was her father (probably he still is).  She won't clean up her room, until I make pretty severe threats.  And lies about whether or not there is food in there, even though she knows not to eat in there anymore.  I've cried several times over this issue.  My ex's hoarding didn't really become obvious to me until he moved out.  He wanted to leave my garage full of his crap, even after we were divorced.  I found a box of paper receipts dating back to 2000 (when we first moved here) in the shed.  Not important receipts, but all receipts, even if they were from buying a burrito, or an ATM withdrawal.  I don't understand the behaviour of never throwing anything out.  He also had a shopping addiction, I believe.  Well, not really my problem anymore.

No new job leads right now....it's tough.  I thought I was going to get an offer at one place, but didn't.  I thought for sure I was going to get an interview at another place this week, and didn't,

Too hot and humid to run.  I have to do a long run this weekend though...yuk.  Going to be warm and too sunny.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hi all!  It was just 61 degrees this morning when I ran on the track with a buddy.  3 miles of chatting.  Now it's 93 degrees...

I was looking for the Portland marathon thread...?  I would like to show up & say hi at any pre-race get-together (ideally, but it's a long drive to do so) but will not be running the marathon.

Happy Weekend!  Pick blackberries, everyone; or any other fruit that's in season.  Cheers,

Renee

I never realized hording ran in so many families! My DW has tendencies that way but is not too bad. I just toss stuff.

No swamp running today. Tomorrow is another crazy distance race. This one is 6.76 miles. The neighboring town cancelled their race for tomorrow because of the forecasted heat index. So far my town's race is still on.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I read everyone's posts (especially Mike's) and I wanted to cry. I know this is a running forum, but let me just say thanks from the bottom of my heart that I know I can come here with personal problems, and ALL of you are always here for me with kind words and similar stories that let me know I'm not the only one whose life is not perfect. This group offers comfort, support and - most importantly - no judgment.  I am grateful for your friendship.

(((hugs)))

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."