Masters Running

Memorial Day runs and remembrances (Read 654 times)

Our trip to MD went well.  The wedding was nice, the weather was good, we saw lots of family, we ate too much, and I got in a 5 mile run with my son, daughter, and brother.  It was worth the time in the car and less sleep than I'm used to.

There have been a lot of good races for kimmie, jlynne (with AG award), Walt, breger (sorry to hear it was shorther than planned), dg, mustang sally, MarkGuy, and Steve.

Nice long runs for holly (several), jlynne, dave, fatozzig, Slo, CNY (with nasty fall - I hope there are no serious lasting effects), lame, and mariposai.

This is a picture of the running Selbys after my nephew's wedding.  There was no one around to get a picture while we were in our running clothes.  The picture was taken on the patio where the wedding took place.  Our morning run started and ended on the paved trail you can see behind us and along the little lake.  From left to right it's son Tom, brother Dave (selb3), me, and daughter Sandy.  While we were running on this trail, we met, and were passed by, more runners than participate in some of my small, local, races.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL918/3625207/7463363/387932573.jpg

Oops, it's been a long time since I've done this and obviously forgot how.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

{{{CNY and Holly's bottom  }}} too!

I never found Karin's post, but it musta been a bad one!  Sorry.  And Holly, oh my...

This morning I ran my 9th Cotton Row.  It's a great 10K race in Huntsville, AL.  I wanted so badly to make the sub hour mark, (which I was able to do for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago in a 10K)  but, alas, my time was 1 hour and 10 seconds. Drat. No hardware for me this year, but at least that dismal time was 20 seconds faster than last year. 

It's so fun to read everyone's comments....I am guilty of only checking in when I have something to post. Shame on me!

I love hearing that I am not the only one w/ the mental battle going on.  

Have great Memorial Day celebrations everyone and let's remember what this day is really all about as Bill pointed out in the opener.

Helen  

Marathon Maniac #957

Zumba class keeps you moving and before I finished I had a puddle of sweet around me...

Dearest Butterfly Lady....knowing you, I can truly believe that you did indeed have a puddle of sweet around you....

Fussyrunner - nice racing!  And an improvement over last year is always good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TomS - I must be completely clued out, did one of your kids get married?  Or a neice, nephew?

Holly - wow - those skeeters must have really liked your sweaty backside.  Our danger around here is the blackberry brambles which have scratched up my legs once or twice while foraging for a place to go.

Nice race fussy!

Hallar your comment about CNY was exactly what I was gonna say but you beat me to it, I'd just fall over and do a pushup.  No projectile action.

Mariposai - I am reading The Help right now too, almost done.  I downloaded it onto my eReader, which my daughter calls my iBook.  She really embarrassed me recently, but it was cute.  She wrote a poem for Mother's day in which she said, "my mom makes my dad do all the work and I don't know why she lies bed all day reading her iBook".  Great, wonder what her teachers think of me now!  The irony is I remember doing the same thing in elementary school to my Mom, drawing a picture of her on the couch watching soap operas and saying that was what she did all day.  With 4 kids, I hardly think so.

Went out for a 3 mile tempo and got 2.5 of it done before I stopped.  I felt like my pace was really slipping when in fact it wasn't so I probably could have made my goal of 3 miles between 10:00 and 10:15 pace.

So 2.5 miles at 10:05 pace and 0.5 mile cooldown at 11:19

Wildchild - nice long trail run!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm a bit embarassed by my DNF - to have all the world know of my mental limitations.

I’m in real trouble if DNF’s indicate mental limitations.  No matter what happens along the way, it’s all good exercise and keeps us healthier than most of the rest of our contemporaries who don’t exercise much, if any, at all.  Besides, nothing can take away from the glory of a Boston year that most of us will never know..

Glad also you found out the friends and fun part though.  It will keep you running the rest of your life more than any training program can.

=================================

Not so cold in Seattle today but rainy, drizzly, showers, even some wind providing the perfect excuse for another taper day. Thoughts are elsewhere so it doesn’t matter anyway.  Did get buzzed and harassed by a crow whose nest must have been nearby.

=================

Holly - I don’t intend to read it but there’s a thread on the Marathon Maniacs Bulletin Board that looks like
            some I also skip on the Ironman discussions that might have some application to avoiding your mosquito friends.  After spending two summers in mosquito mother lode country north of erika, we just gave up and let them bite us. Then they fly off without leaving any remnant anticoagulant. to itch.

====================

posiei - can you do a Zumba show before the Autumn Leaves 5/10K if that works out this year.

Good luck on getting a sponsor.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Memorial Day - A day to remember those and their families who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.  My heartfelt gratitude.

Slept in yesterday instead of doing the scheduled 10, but got some yard work done, our garage cleaned up (yea!), and I got 5 miles in this a.m.  Lackluster legs, once again, even with a "rest day" yesterday.  Not sure what the deal is, but am hoping things improve this week.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Holly, you got the M&M of the day. I was wondering who was going to notice the sweet instead the sweat.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM #7877

9 miles. Got about 3 miles out and it started pouring hard. Rain was coming down at about a 30 degree angle from ground and it stung as it pelted my face.

Philippians 4:13.

SteveP

Kimmie, I've been "blah" too. It happens...It passes...

CNY, you've just raised the bar for toughness....Ugh...Thanks.

WRFB out of beer!!! Is that like the 7th sign or somthin?

It's good to read you TomS

Tet, your posts encouraged me to enter that last race.

Hey D!!! 9 miles in any waehter is kewl.

3 miles with DW and Tag. We went and watched the parade. Took Tag to finally get some ice cream...Poor guy.....Rebuilt the stairs on the back deck and then gardening cross training. Lots of breaks for the pool.

SteveP

lamerunner

Greetings! Byll, DNFs happen. They don't feel good, but sometimes it is the smartest choice. I am glad you had a good weekend otherwise.

14 miles or so today on the Masaebesic rail trail this morning, starting a bit late.   low 70s, light winds, sunny. Quiet at first but many biking families on the way back. Quads a bit sore from yesterday's hike, mostly from the descent... We  also played a little tennis late afternoon. DS is improving seemingly daily.  My skill seems to be headed in the other direction. 

Good running everyone!

Marathon Maniac #3309

I lost my Internet on my new computer for a couple of days....got it fixed today, so I am behind....speaking of behind (ok, no Holly jokes)

Yikes Karin.....hope your alright!

Finally, I had a great run tonight in the pouring rain.....litterally pouring buckets. 10 miles - 8:12 ave pace that felt Greta

I think along with my very long runs, the heat has REALLY affected me much more than usual (it came upon us like...BAM, take that) Oh well......super EZ now since I have some of my confidence back after feeling sore and carpy for a week, but don't like the forecast for 80 degrees and chance of rain this Sat (hope that changes) 

Massage on the legs in the morning..............then rest

Lots of good thoughts on Bill.....and I thought about this tonight on my run, without knowing about His DNF yet. I personally think we may take this running thing a bit too serious some times (especially Marathon runners) I absolutely LOVE to run - I love to race - meeting runner friends - but in reality......I really love running mostly to be active / healthy / and be in great shape.....

Hope everyone had a Blessed and Happy Memorial Day!!! 

TimBo 

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Sorry, no time to read up on all your runs and non-runs today... Just got too late and too much going on. Here's a cross post from KR....

Another day of no running for me. Smoke was a little worse than yesterday, and while I'm not in the "sensitive groups" the warning is for, I just didn't feel like pushing it. And besides... I got my garden done today!! I cant' remember the last time I finished the garden in the 4-day weekend I've allotted for it. Just a couple of swiss chard to place and a 6-pack of parsley to find a home for. But considering where I usually am after this weekend, that's nothing! I'll run tomorrow at lunch no matter what. Time to get back on the horse, as they say. Later this week I'll be in Anchorage for DS2's soccer tournament, so some good opportunities to run some nice trails there.

Marathon Maniac #957

......I really love running mostly to be active / healthy / and be in great shape.....

Yes, I agree.  I don't need to race at all to enjoy running, the feel of it, the satisfaction of pushing myself, the loveliness of the world coming alive as I run through the awakening dawn....

Of course, the RA meet-ups are wonderful, but you don't need to run the marathon to enjoy the meet-ups - you could run the HM or the 10K or even not run at all but just go enjoy the company.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."