Masters Running

Sunday, 12.18.16 (Read 28 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm just checking in to let you know I'm still around. I finally went to see my sports med. doc. on Thursday to find out what the heck is going on with my hamstring. He reminded me that I had also seem him about a hamstring issue in 2011, so this isn't something entirely new. His assessment is that it is a muscle strain, and he advised me to go for PT so they can also assess if there is anything else going on that might be impacting my hamstring. So I start PT first thing tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, my working out has been limited to just walking, some stretching, and some snow clearing (we got about 4" yesterday, so I got in a snowblower workout).

Stay healthy, stay happy, keep running, and have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Jay, glad you found out what's happening with your hammie. Good luck with PT. I'm still going 2xweekly.

Enjoyed our short trip down south with much walking, dining and drinking. Returned to the polar vortex and about 3 inches of snow yesterday. Had to cancel our trip to NH because of hazardous driving and missed seeing Marj's DGD performing in the Nutcracker. Today have a one day thaw. Went out for my one miler and, for the first time post op, did a jog/walk. Very slow but it felt good. Will try to hit a movie this afternoon-LaLaLand- I love musicals and looking forward to seeing this movie.

Back to the cold tomorrow.

..go easy jay.....

well,

no work-out today,

70s yesterday, sleet just stopped here about an hour ago 17-degree WindChill

plus

The Ice is why I went from

''Partial Hip'' to ''Full Hip'' Replacement last year>>>>>shudder

so REST DAY

................go easy out there

also

mike//.......which pair Caught Yer Fancy??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Last night's freezing rain was worse than the night before.  I woke up at 4:30am to a roaring sound and looked out front to see a city snowplow/salt truck struggling to get up our hill.  It kept sliding backward, tires spinning, then moving forward, then sliding back again.  I was worried that he would hit my DS's car, which was parked on the street in front of our house, but the truck eventually made it up the hill, spewing salt all the way.

At any rate, everything was coated with ice, so I decided not to try to run in it.  So I did my LR on my TM, reading my Kindle book.  16 miles.  16 really long, tedious, mind-numbing miles on the TM. But, I got it done.

Be safe out there, folks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

How do you read your Kindle on the TM, Holly? I'd have to have the print so big there'd be only a few words on each "page" to do that!

GL with the PT, Jay. You've been dealing with this long enough, time to get help, right?

Hi Henry! Good to see you continuing your recovery.

tomwhite, how is your DD doing? And yes, ice is nothing to take lightly. Good call.

So we got snow last night! Forecast was for an inch, if that. Ha! We ended up getting at least 6" up here. I shoveled our stairs yesterday afternoon after my run, and by the time we got back from the movie you couldn't even tell! Bleh. All the paths had been cleared so nicely too. Not sure what to do about today's long run. Original plan was 14 miles on the paths, but I really don't want to deal with all that snow. So.... I might be joining Holly in the TM Long Run club. I don't think I'll be able to master the Kindle thing though.

Holly, that is determination!

Sorry to hear about all the ice everywhere.

Here it was 31 F on the way to my race. There was no wind, which was nice, but still waiting around for the start of the 12K, everyone was pretty cold.  I think it is the moisture out here, makes it feel colder than 31F.  Anyway, I enjoyed the run a lot, and only had to walk once (except for 2 steep hills) to give my knee a little break.  I believe about 7 or 8 years ago, I did this same race at a 9:20 pace, and it was a hillier course then.  Today, 20 pounds heavier, and not running much, I just wanted to get under an 11 pace.  I ended up with 10:27 pace, which I figured was a good workout for me.  I hung behind a few women, and they pulled me along.  My first two miles were under 10:00, which surprised me as I felt very slow.  Now to just drop 15 pounds and actually run more.....for next year's race.

Funny conversation I overheard from two women behind me "as soon as I turned 30, I just couldn't eat a couple cookies at work each day and not put on weight".  Other woman: "yes, and a friend of mine says it gets even worse when you turn 40!"   I was so so tempted to turn around and tell them what to look forward to when they turn 50!  

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

How do you read your Kindle on the TM, Holly? I'd have to have the print so big there'd be only a few words on each "page" to do that!

It's a little difficult, but I think bifocal contacts help.  I think when I get my Christmas present of the 12" tablet, reading on that big screen will be easier.

Anyone else joining the mileage goal teams for 2017?  If you did it last year, how did it go?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

''tomwhite, how is your DD doing?''

she's much better, thanks, off the crutches but needs to wear the brace a little longer

THE GOOD NEWS-

she's sticking with her PT,

so

maybe I can finally get the kid to EXERCISE after this

My Theory is,

that unlike Former Fat Kids, the Thin Kids never got Good Work-Out Habits for later in life,

Luckily (?)

I was a Fat Kid

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker good luck with the PT. I hope it speeds up your recovery.

evanflein was trip to NYC a joint Christmas present to you and your DH? Even if my DW and I went away as joint present we would still be on the hook for everyone else.

Holly S. I am going to fourth or whatever we are up to now, that reading while running on a TM seems impossible to me. Heck, you could project the text in 4' high letters on a big screen TV and I could not read and run.

enkephalin happy you enjoyed the race. I hear having a relay in New Hampshire as a goal is a great way to get cracking on that running thing you want to do more of. Just a suggestion for ya. 

Did an hour on the elliptical today. Decided to listen to my DW and not run two days in a row as yet. Tomorrow, I hope to head outside for 5 miles. That, alas, will depend on how cold it gets tonight. The roads are wet from the snow we got yesterday. If it is really cold tonight the road will have ice patches all over the place. Slipping and cracking my head open is not a risk I am psyched about taking. In non running news I went with my DW while she bought Christmas gifts for her family. At least this way I will know what we got everyone before they open up their presents! As for me, I was easy. I told her what to get (a Camp Chef 24" smoker) and that she just had to click on the Amazon link to get it. She on the other hand will not give me any suggestions for a Christmas present.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I find it interesting that I placed better in the overall female category than I did in F50-59.  What's with that?  A bunch of fast old broads!!

Nice try Twocat....

Not sure what to get my cyclist buddy....he's picky too about his stuff.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Weather is a bit odd around here.  Last run, 5F.  Today, 45+F.  Oh yeah, 6" of snow in between. Got to love NE weather.  3.25 miles around the lake with a little extra through a parking lot to avoid puddles and slush from the previously mentioned snow melting.  It was a little sproinky, back in shorts in December.  It's actually just about what's predicted overnight in LA over Christmas.

however, I wasn't able to download it to my tablet, as I've been doing since RA quit using the previous interface.  The first time it popped up as "sync failed" and then I couldn't seem to get it to sync again.  The Garmin seems to think it's been downloaded, but I can't find it anywhere.  anyone else have any problem with it today, or am I just getting special treatment?

Jay-- good luck resting.

Holly--I can't even watch TV while TMing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.