Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.17.13 (Read 43 times)

mo boy, I am SO glad you included a photo when you wrote Texas Stool....

Agreed OM! Big grin and congrats on your Chicago marathon run---good stuff!

Hi Mo Boy! Sweet new kicks--green feet or no

Sounds awesome Holly...go for it. I  am running a 14 mlle trail race on Sunday---7 miles up--tag a fire tower near Mt. Sugarloaf and 7 miles back down...single track and jeep trails.

Busy days on the road for work these past few days so I am far behind.....running though as usual. Ran with Hudson just a bit ago---4 mile dog jog--gorgeous afternoon

Mike---pumped is definitely good. How fabulous for you and Ryan.

Mike and Ryan team YAY!!!

Tomatoes - why do you have to take the seeds out?

Justin is home - looks better today than last time he came home!!

I ran 6.2 miles today - 1 mile easy then .25 mile pickups with .1 mile recovery x 10 then easy mile+ home.

Go Red Sox!!

denise

DG – was out trying to spring you .Tufts went well as I planned on 10:15 pace, but managed to go a bit faster and finished in under an hour.

Mike E – I am thinking “pumped” is good

TomS – thanks! Sounds like a lovely run that you had today.

Hoping for  an early morning run tomorrow - should still see the moon as it doesn't set until 6:45!

ETA - early by my standards NOT Jay's

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I had to take the night off from running.  When I woke up for my 3:00 pee, my left hip was hurting.  Since I had been sleeping on that side, I just figured it was sore from that.  But it was still hurting when I got up for good...and it continued to hurt throughout the day...even. Though I was trying to pretend that it was going to stop at anytime.  So...I'm letting it rest for a day.

Anyway...it's been fun seeing so much activity on here again.  I read throughout the day so I don't get behind.  I always think about how I'm going to respond to everybody's posts....but when I get home, I go right out for my run and I'm so wiped out when I'm done, I just don't muster up the energy.

Plus, our new pastor has been coaxing me back into becoming more involved at church and I have a hard time saying no.  So, this Sunday, I have to do kind if a sermon...just a talk on a video the she's showing.  And she wants me to start writing the dramas again...is, that will take up even more of time.

Anyway...I didn't come on here to complain....

Marj, I don't think enough race directors realize how many older people are still running.  I remember when I first started racing in my mid 30's and when they would announce at the awards ceremony that there was a 70 year old runner, everybody would clap and cheer....because there was only one.  I know when I'm 70, I'm going to still be racing against the same guys I was racing when I was 35.  It still ticks me off when I think about the time I was 4th overall in a half marathon...and I was 4th in my age group...and that was when I was in my 40's.  So, yeah, I don't blame you for being irritated with the wider age spans.

Mo--one of these days, I am going to sit down and read your blog.  I just skimmed it a couple minutes ago and it looks hilarious.

Enke--it is so nice to hear you talk about having fun with Door #3.  One of these days, that ex of yours is going to wake up and realize what he's done...what a dope...oops...sorry...I shouldn't call him names.

Speaking of name calling...I have to admit, I was really bugged by Tim's post the other day.  I wanted to reply right away, but I thought I would just the dust settle, come down a little bit and...I actually thought he would come back with an apology.  I even thought about what he said and tried to look at the situation here and see if there was any truth to what he said.  After all, we have had a few newcomers come and go over the 2 1/2 years I've been here.  And then I think about when I started on here and I can still remember how everybody welcomed me and made feel very comfortable here.  And look at Mo Boy...nobody is snubbing him.  I just don't get it.  BUT--I would like say that, if there was ever a time when I offended somebody on here, or didn't respond to a post you hoped I would have...or done anything to anybody to make them feel bad...I really am sorry.  Tim--that goes for you, too, although, I have to tell you--what you said, the other day, was way out of line--I'm not sure what you were trying to do, but it wasn't cool.  Okay--enough about that.  By the way--I just deleted about a paragraph worth more on the subject but thought better.

Okay...I guess, that's all I have.  Oh--I know what I was going to tell you--when Ryan said he wanted to do the Parent/Child team thing, I jumped online to see what airfare was.  While it wasn't on my same flight--which is full now--I saw it was at $211.  When I went to book his flight, last night, it had gone up to $350!  Is that even possible?  I'm wondering if I typed in the wrong dates or something, but I really don't think I did.

Okay--that's it...I really have to go.  See ya!

C-R

Hey everyone. Long day. Travel from Florida business trip.

I ran twice with today and the last one was with my son (4 miler in the dark). We had a good talk. I am really enjoying this. So Mike - you and Ryan go and get it at Huntsville. Nothing like running with your kids. Holly - enjoy the company too.

Tammy - Fried Green Tomatoes- it not just a movie title. Yum

On the tougher side of life - my mom's dementia is getting worse. Today was a good day but others lately have not been so good. It has been a heck of a learning experience. I wish there was a manual for this but I guess you just muddle through the best you can. I'm thankful she is close to us and has some wonderful people in the nursing home to help. We plan to go and carve pumpkins with her (and my kids) tomorrow afternoon. I hope it helps. Sorry to bring this in here but many of you have experienced this so if you have any advice< I would be happy to accept it. Thanks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike,  I'm so glad you and Ryan are doing the Rocket City marathon as a father/son team!  I hope you win something really cool!

And I've been thinking about what Timbo posted, too.  I really fail to see what we all did that was not welcoming.  Hopefully it's just Tim's issue and not ours.  But I kind of like the new acronym  UFUWNB.  And I like the new guy - mo boy!   Hope we're not too unwelcoming...

Norm,  I'm really sorry about your mom.  No advice to offer, but sending hugs your way.

Denise, glad to hear Justin is home!  Good luck!

Enke, I'm really happy for you.  I hope it keeps going well with Door #3, and I agree with Mike - what was your ex-DH thinking?  His loss. I hope your kids are doing okay!

12 miles today in Centennial Cone Park.  I sure love trail running! Not looking forward to tomorrow's snow, except that it will give me another chance to do a badass run!  Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

okay, now I get the acronym. . . it took me awhile.  Roll eyes

fwiw: I think there was more behind the timbo outburst that what we know. what's done is done now though.

David had a great meet. 1st OA, even though it wasn't his best time. 10:52 I think? this was a double loop course with a decent sized hill in it. the kids called it a mountain. I told them that is why we train on hills.

Tammy

Maniac 505

CR:  when my mother was no longer able to care for my father,s advanced Alzheimer's,  she found Somerford House.  it is a nation wide chain of alzehimer's assisted living (and adult day care)  I really think it was the best place she could have found for him,  They aren'tt everywhere,  but you might want to see if there is one local.

Tammy:  Google Green Tomato pie, it's great.  When I was in grade school, I would peddle garden fresh veggies around the neighborhood.  we had a neighbor that always requested green tomatoes.  (think apple pie with jelly)

Mike,  You and Ryan will rock that race.

NO run yesterday or today.  lots of long days on my boat during sea trials.  It is now running better then I have seen it run in 8 years.  I got off work 7:00 tonight,  I switch to nights (6:00 ti 6:00) for the rest of the week with maybe a couple extra hours tomorrow, but I should be able to get out for 3 or 4 miles before work tomorrow night.

Dave

Mariposai

On the tougher side of life - my mom's dementia is getting worse. Today was a good day but others lately have not been so good. It has been a heck of a learning experience. I wish there was a manual for this but I guess you just muddle through the best you can. I'm thankful she is close to us and has some wonderful people in the nursing home to help. We plan to go and carve pumpkins with her (and my kids) tomorrow afternoon. I hope it helps. Sorry to bring this in here but many of you have experienced this so if you have any advice< I would be happy to accept it. Thanks.

I am sorry to read that your mama's health is declining.

Please know that we are here for you!\

Enjoy the pumpkin carving adventure with mama tomorrow.

What a long day at work today. I just got back home a few minutes ago. Tomorrow is the same.

I enjoyed reading the various tips on  tomatoes roasting..

I think I will try to roast twocat and spareribs together and see what I can get Joking

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

To Tim:  hey time, as I mentioned in the first place, if anyone would have been the brunt of unwelcomeness around here it would be someone who eschews training, shoes, watches, gremlins and rarely, maybe 30 times a year at the most, posts about running. However, unlike the rest of us having family automatically around us most of the time (good or bad), I'm keenly aware (and sometimes envious) that you are on your own. However, no matter how you feels about what's going on in your life, including us, you're my triathlon buddy and promised a barefoot run with me so I hope you comes back soon.  Besides, I'm still jealou . . I mean happy that you got to be with all the goddesses at the 2009 Seattle Rock'n'Roll I missed.

Divechief - can you keep tomorrow's morning fog out in Elliott Bay a little longer until the full moon sets at 7:15 or so a.m.  thanks.

/

Mike- the father/son run makes me kind of glad that your son's first good marathon will be with his father.  In fact, you guys might become famous running and finishing sub-three marathons together all over the country, if not world.  You already are to us.  Let me know if you need an agent to negotiate your appearance fees (and take an extravag.... I mean small commission for someone I know who could use it (that would be me) if not for all of us.  Don't spare a single detail as you get ready for the big day.  Incidentally, it sounds like so much fun no matter what, why didn't your run with him in Minnesota?  I think it was for him to have the experience in his own rights but this father-son say sounds so much better. have fun, fun, fun.  what a thrill for both of you, and us too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Very cool MikeE.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

fatozzig considering what you use for avatars I cannot believe any picture can freak you out!

Here is a picture, for those that care, of the result of my tomato baking from yesterday.  I will have to try Spareribs' additions of garlic and basil on the next batch.

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

These look so good!

Mike - very cool about the parent/child team - you and Ryan will be unbeatable!

Mo - I recently bought some green running shoes for the first time, and they don't match anything I own.  Spareribs would be appalled at the fashion statement I am making with them...Smile

((C-R))

Carolyn - UFUWNB?

Tammy - congratulations to David!

Deez - good news!

Anyone ever watch the Bad Lip Reading videos?  For any Game of Thrones fans, here is a hilarious parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."