Masters Running

12/26 Happy Day After Christmas - Runs And Such (Read 376 times)

Mariposai

Today I ran more miles than degrees, but wore more items of clothing(17) than miles. It was 1F when I head out to the treadmill looking like this... Once I got to the friendly treatmill I ran the following: 1 mile @ 9:26 1 mile slow 1 mile @ 9:26 1 mile slow 1 mile @ 9:26 1 mile slow 1 mile @ 8:53 1 mile slow 1 mile @ 8:53 1 mile slow 1 mile @ 8:53 Then I put on each one of the following clothing items and ran 2 miles back home. 15 miles total with a decent effort.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thank you posie, . . . sugoi! (. . . . and to think I'm still waiting for a picture of PDR's running skirt to see if it's a bijin or not). hey taper king 55, too bad about another six weeks but that's about what you were being told anyway. Besides, it's so snowy, slushy and sloppy non-running weather around here that January 1 is about as likely for me running as me running as fast as you run when you run would be so I shouldn't have any problem tapering the rest of the way with you too. Just get done by March 1. Smile <>i was gettin' skeered of losing my taper buddy too soon)>>> -tapber boy 27.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Mariposai, that was a wave run on the treadmill? I've been thinking about doing that... could even program it into mine to make it easy to remember. Good job on the run AND the dressing up for it! Hang in there, Tim. Like Tetsujin said, that's about what you were being told anyway, and I agree with Meg that it's a good thing you broke your toes! That should keep you out of running for long enough to let the AT heal up. Like Mariposai I ran more miles than degrees, and it wasn't a whole lot colder here than in Omak! (that situation won't last long) I ran 7.4 miles outside (I think the temp was -1 or -2), down the long hill to the main road, then another couple of miles in the road... moving to the shoulder only when cars were coming. Felt like running in quicksand, or cornstarch or some other equally miserable footing. The bike path back up the hill was hard because of the snowmachine-churned up snow, making my pace move into the "easy" range while the effort soared into a hard tempo category. Ugh. Finished up with 3.4 miles at a more easy pace and effort for a total of 10.8 for the day. Forecast for Saturday: "Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Temperatures falling to 10 below to 20 below. Light winds...except over higher summits north winds to 30 mph with locally poor visibility in blowing snow and wind chill to 40 below." Sunday doesn't look much better, if not worse.
        Mariposai

Erika, yes the wave run part was done on the treatmill. It is easy for me to remember the numbers since it is one mile at marathon pace, a mile slow x3 then a mile at HM pace, slow x 3. Ribs is the king of "wave runs" around here and he recommends not to do more than 12-14 miles. I really like the wave runs since it gives me some nice workout at target paces without taxing my body while doing it. Besides, it makes running on a treadmill a bit more interesting.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Like Mariposai I ran more miles than degrees, and it wasn't a whole lot colder here than in Omak! (that situation won't last long) I ran 7.4 miles outside (I think the temp was -1 or -2), down the long hill to the main road, then another couple of miles in the road... moving to the shoulder only when cars were coming. Felt like running in quicksand, or cornstarch or some other equally miserable footing. The bike path back up the hill was hard because of the snowmachine-churned up snow, making my pace move into the "easy" range while the effort soared into a hard tempo category. Ugh. Finished up with 3.4 miles at a more easy pace and effort for a total of 10.8 for the day. Forecast for Saturday: "Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Temperatures falling to 10 below to 20 below. Light winds...except over higher summits north winds to 30 mph with locally poor visibility in blowing snow and wind chill to 40 below." Sunday doesn't look much better, if not worse.
            Ugh. {{{ }}}! Nancy, very nice! running to the TM... just tops it off Smile

Marathon Maniac #3309

Geez, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I have been told sooo many times, be thankful for your broken toes, to keep you from running. Now, you have to admit that is...well, odd and funny...in "our" own kinda way here....really, ya know. Who else would understand this madness...but us..luv you all. 55 days tet...I lost count...glad you have my back side... Timmi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!