Masters Running

Weekly Newbies starting 1/15 (Read 521 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all. a lot of people seem to be sleeping in this morning. I was 3rd on the daily, which I never seem to manage. Of course, they;re probably still out running greater distances than me Wink it was a nice run this morning. I love running in the snow, especially with little to no wind. a balmy 27F this morning, with about 1/2" of snow on the ground. happy to have brought the trax with me as the new snow made the old ice very treacherous. I'll second (3rd?) the suggestion that you don't get carried away with the pace bunny. I will acknowledge that I am doing the same thing, but hope that I can use it as motivation and and not an absolute plan. Having said that, I'm happy to see teresa high on the list and Eliz tight on his tail Smile (and I'm catching back up, I hope) Linda--I amazed that you can move around at all, much less try to run, with everything you have conspiring against you. think I'd be curled in the fetal position in the corner at this point. Shocked whoever said that women aren't as tough as men doesn't know what they're talking about. Deb--tiny steps is a good philosophy at this point, I think. In the "do as I say, not as I do" mode (since I do NO other x-training) keep up with the PT and other exercises so you'll be better off when you can get in a real run. waves to everyone else this morning. now that I've hung out here for a while, the sports section beckons, so I can read about how badly the Pats will beat the Giants Big grin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Good morning Everyone, Kevin, Sounds like you have the same conditions as we do in NW Ohio. 27 and very light wind. I love running in the snow too. It reminds me of when I was a kid, how excited we used to get whenever it snowed. Plus it's so peaceful and calming. I can only imagine that 27 is a WHOLE lot better than -23. It's a whole 50 degrees warmer. 6 miles for me this morning. I wanted to sleep in, but have too much to do today. Cheers Mike
      Rindaroo

I wasn't going to bring up the pacebunny, because some people do fine with that sort of schedule. But when you follow the a strict schedule, it can bring problems. For me & certainly Debbie, it just doesn't work.. thats how we get into problems.. for others, you tend to push through injuries but not pay attention - just hoping for healthy times for all! Cause those things sure can be fun if you're healthy. For me, I learned a long time ago to go by my own schedule, beat to my own drum, etc... lol Kevin/Eliz/Mr White & everyone else - ahh thanks! its a choice you know, you either do it or you don't... So, I don't give up just because it isn't on some certain level - its still beneficial, thats how I look at it. Plus Kevin, I thought they say women are the stonger sex Big grin Actually this comes from my dad (who has been told many times by doctors that he shouldn't be alive in his stage of Diabetes) for years now. He's still looking for a cure for his Diabetes & his blood problems too. When I was a kid, he took us to do lots of fun things.. but would never let us quit - it just wasn't allowed. You didn't even bother whining & crying, because it made no difference.. I remember one time when we went skiing, we were intermediate level skiiers & accidentally went to a black diamond run which had amazing moguls.. my brother & I wanted to walk down.. (I think I was about 14 or 15), but you guessed it, it didn't matter how we did (falling all the way...), but we did it. I think those types of experiences just stuck with me. (Plus lying in a fetal position is absolutely no fun!, believe me I've been there, but not for long) & also there's the German blood in me & my dad - you know those Germans are just so stubborn!! lol
        Rindaroo

Reporting in with a 3 mile workout on the treadmill.. 1.5 miles walking, 1.5 miles running (only 1.25 of it straight through though.. but hey better than yesterday!)
            Deb, I agree with you not joining the pace bunny thing until youre healed. I read about the bunny and thought it was a good idea but not until I am 100%. Glad to see youre sticking through all the other exercises and PT too. I keep getting told that hamstrings heal slowly. Eliz, Did you get your 3 on the boardwalk? Sounds like heaven. I am jealous. Hows work going? Kevin, I just hope those Pats dont get cocky and screw it up. Would be a shame. Not a Pats fan here but I want them to go all the way. They worked too hard all season to blow it now. You handle the cold really well. You must be a well seasoned New Englander like Theresa. Theresa, follks from Maine are the hardiest of all New Englanders. 13 degrees! I would die the instant I walked outside. I'm such a warm weather wimp. That race I did in Florida this fall was heaven. 70s and humid! Covered in sweat at the end. My type of running weather. Hopefully I'll win the HGTV dream home this year and be a Florida runner after all, hahahaha. Linda, I really liked your ski story. Thats almost survival training of the fun kind. I've pawned my running partners off on each other. I brought them together to run with me and now I am out of the picture all together. They have even planned a few races this year. Did 30 mins on the eliptical this AM. Which is like no workout at all. Barely broke a sweat. Boredom set in 20 mins into it. Ugh. This is what they have me do in PT...a variety of stretching, warm ups, ultrasound massage which appears to have to effect at all. Then some massage with stainless steel instruments. Hurts like hell but the muscle is all soft and warm when its done and the kinks are worked out. Then some strengthening exercises. Usually about an hour and a half total and I am worn out when done. They taped the muscle up last time which helps somewhat. About to wrap it up again. Laurie "I miss running, waaaaaa"

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

3.5 on the boardwalk. Temp around 38F, wind from the mainland (west), so at least I felt it pretty consistently in both directions on the mostly north-south boards. Beautiful way to spend a Sunday between soul-renewing visits with my best friends and their kids, my three godchildren. Hadn't seen the boys for way too long. Re: the pace bunny. My goal for this year is to run 1,000 INJURY-FREE kilometers, or more, if I can stick with the injury-free part. So far, keeping pace with the bunny has not caused me to push myself too hard. In fact, looking at the way I whined about and hid from the cold last January, it really has inspired me in a good, consistent way. If I were following the 10-miler plan that I started in December, I'd be way ahead of the rabbit now, but until I get my orthotics, I'm not willing to push a whole lot harder and risk getting hurt. Laurie - Thanks for asking, but work sucks more than ever. I'm trying not to post about it too much, because it's not going to get better and you guys don't need to deal with my whining. I'm determined to have a new job in the fall. Have been revising my resume and going through a lot of career-planning advice in order to make a good move. There's a high school choral job in the next town over from where I spend my summers (and would love to spend fall, winter, and spring), so I'm hoping for the best. Four minutes 'til 9:00 p.m., so it's time for me to get to bed. (That's one of the things I hate most about my job - getting up at 5:00 so I can get there at 6:00 - 1-1/4 hours before I have to be there, because that's the only way I can possibly get everything even half-done, and still staying way past nearly every other teacher in both buildings.) (See, aren't you sorry you asked about my job.) Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Laurie--just looked at the 7 sister's race site. I think it may be a little out of my range at this point. 12 miles with 3700' in elevation Shocked Maybe someday. Since I've just hit 7 miles and not much over an hour, it may be a while. Kevin

Eliz, Definatelly post about your job on this board. Isnt that what these boards are for? It is indirectly related to running. Plus I was glad to hear you have a possibility of an opening near the coast. Good luck. Keep us informed. Kevin, I think the seven sisters might be a little out of mine and Kims reach too this year. But we will still aim for it. Maybe I will see you next year at the Boston Marathon. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Eliz, Definatelly post about your job on this board. Isnt that what these boards are for?
                    That's sweet, but I do run partly to forget about work. Wink Beats drinking to forget, right? Rest day today after running two consecutive days for the first time in a month. Not feeling any worse for wear and looking forward to running late tomorrow afternoon. OK, minor work rant - left the house at 6:00 a.m., got home at 6:00 p.m., worked essentially straight through, not counting the 40-minute commute each way, during which I was planning lessons in my head, and I still feel totally swamped. Even if every part of my job were absolutely perfect (which no parts are), there are just too darn many parts! I'm on a TV fast this week in order to spend the time I would have been vegging out in front of CSI reruns working on my resume and tracking down job leads. Good runs, all, Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Hey guys! Theresa - congrat's on your long run! Woo hoo! Mike, you are sure putting in the miles. Kevin, be careful out there!Snow on top of ice - Shocked Eliz, good running for you, too. I hope your job thing works out for fall. It's misery to be unhappy in your job. Debbie, Laurie, Linda, I'd tell you to keep your chins up, but you already are. Just like running, so much about not-running is mental. Linda, I'm sorry about your stomach problems. You know my son has IBD and it's hard to live life when your stomach is messed up, I know. I had a busy weekend, with a little party here, and lots of pre-party panic preparation. I guess I have entertaining anxiety. But I'm always happy when the prep is over and the friends arrive. Anyway it was fun. And I managed a 6 mile run on Saturday in spite of feeling like I really didn't have the time. Ran 3 miles today, shooting for 4 tomorrow. My two current almost-drivers aren't twins, just somewhat non-traditional kids/young adults, sorta like their mom, was long ago. I got two new things that are gonna help my running - a new digital scale. Those numbers are hard to ignore when they're so big and clear! And a fuel belt, which I will use tomorrow. Has two bottles and a pouch for cell, keys, etc. Gotta go - if I left anyone out, I'm sorry, I'm just in a rush - Jem

Me

Good morning, 46 degrees and 17mph winds. We are supposed to really get socked tonight. It sounds like Toledo should be expecting 16 degrees and 30 - 40 mph winds. I may just blow off my run tomorrow morning and sleep in. 4 blustery miles for me this morning. Mike
                        lswife

I finished C25K last June and ran in my first race over the July 4th holiday. Tonight I went to the first "training session" for my next race, the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon the first Saturday in May. I signed up for the 5K and just hope to run, not walk, as much as possible, and finish without pain or injury. We had two excellent speakers, and then they passed out our training schedule which begins next Monday with a "just" a 4 mile run. There are 5am runs, 5:30am runs, supper-time runs, Saturday long runs, etc., etc. We were given great information, and I was actually considering joining the training group as the speakers said even I, doing just the 5K and running slowly, would be most welcome. Everyone else at the meeting is doing the actual mini-marathon, and evidently they all want to set speed records. Then I found out that the training program costs $35. What?! I'm going to have to PAY for getting up early and running in freezing weather? I decided I'd stick to running on the TM or, on mild days, around the neighborhood, and then doing the free local runs until May. And I will gradually increase the length of my runs and not be so "Oh, well, I'm busy today and will run tomorrow."

Me

Good morning Everyone, Roberta, I think that should work. Pick a race out now and use it as a goal. I bagged my run for this morning. 9 degrees and 45 - 50 mph winds. I'm afraid that without a gps, I'm not sure I would be able to figure out where I ended up when the winds stopped blowing. Cheers Mike
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Roberta--I think that not joining that group is probably a smart thing at this point in your running life. building a base, physically AND mentally, is important. I would think that a running group that you see at the beginning of the run and then after they've been done for a while won't encourage you to run. At some point, you have to go out of your comfort zone to be able to improve, but you've got to find it first Smile If you did the C25K, you might enjoy the One Hour Runner, which is the next step after C25K. I did that and it built me up without much trauma. It was on CR, but I'm not sure how to get at it at the moment. If you're interested, I'll poke around and see if I can dig it up. Just make sure you keep running. Kevin

Not much time to really check in right now, but I can take a moment to post a link to One-Hour Runner: http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm#run Enjoy. Dragged myself through 3.1 miles last night. Nasty air in my afternoon school yesterday made it hard to breathe last night. Also, I wore my Dansko clogs to school and I think that contributed to my feet getting really sore toward the end of mile 2. At least the evening was misty and warm - good for the sinuses and lungs. Smile Rest night (frantically write lesson plans for the rest of the week night) tonight so that I can get back out there tomorrow evening. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com