Masters Running

Stinky Running Clothes (Read 458 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, this is primarily about my Under Armor Mock Turtle - my must-have winter base layer for any run in temps below 30° but can apply to some of my other running clothes as well.  Even if I wash it twice, it seems to hold onto body odor in its deepest layers.  I never really feel like I've gotten it clean.  (I've heard this complaint about UA from other people too.)  Soon I'll be tucking it away for the summer and I'd really like to give it a good deep-clean before I do.  Anyone have tips or tricks or favorite products you'd like to share?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - I use Win.  It's usually cheaper through Amazon.  But I think Tide has come out with a sports detergent, and since I've run out of Win, I was gonna go get a bottle and see how it works.

MTA - I just found the Tide detergent on the 'net.  Says it's available at Target.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Or you could switch to wool - natural fabrics don't hold odors like synthetics, and there are some amazing, lightweight items you can get that don't itch. Should be going on sale soon.

Ex runner

evanflein

Soak it in a basin with cool water and some baking soda, maybe 1/4 cup? I've done that with my kids' UA soccer gear and it seems to work wonders. After soaking, dump the garment and the soaking water into the wash and run the cycle. And never dry with heat in the dryer. I tumble mine for about 10 minutes on the lowest setting (set to damp dry), then hang. I think higher heat cooks the odors into the fabric just like stains.

Also, I've noticed when I've washed mine in hard water (like at a hotel laundry, or commercial laundromat, or my MIL's house), they never seem as clean. I love our water softener...

I've also put  a capful of white vinegar in with my clothes and even the towels to help freshen them up - smells strong at first, but once they go thru the rinse cycle you never notice it.

denise

I use oxyclean.  What Erika said about the high temps in the dryer I've noticed as well, but I do it anyway.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke - how much oxyclean do you use?  Since it's just me working out, I usually have a small to not quite medium load.  And it's a top load, if that makes a difference.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

another option you might try if you have a bunch of end of the season stuff, and if a SCUBA shop is in the area is

Sink the Stink.  I was on the compuserve SCUBA forum when this product was invented by one of the members.  it is a biological odor munching bacteria.  funeral homes amongst others buy it in bulk.

Dave,  (looking for out of the box solutions.)

evanflein

Leslie, you bring up a good point. I'm the only runner, but both my boys are in soccer and/or track or XC, and DH works out sometimes too. So sometimes my "delicates" load (as I call it) is the biggest load we do, besides the load of darks/jeans. There's a couple times a week that I have our soccer/workout/running clothes hanging all over the house.

Prince of Fatness

Line dry outside?

Not at it at all. 

Marathon Maniac #957

I never put any of my running stuff into the dryer, even my socks.  I think that's why they last so long.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I've only done the oxyclean thing once or twice - I just smell good all the time , but when I did it, I put the offensive shirt in the sink with some oxyclean (check the box for amount) and soaked for about an hour, then into the regular wash.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I use a product called "SportSuds".  I got it in a sports store and I think you can buy on-line too.  I think it was about $20 CDN but it does 34 loads.  You use it without any other soap and it completely eliminates odours.  I regularly throw all my running clothes in the wash with this stuff to remove all odours that are probably due to soap residue.  And the jar says that it restores the clothing's ability to wick away moisture again.

I know I sound like an ad, but it has worked well for me.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Wait, when did everyone start washing their running clothes? Is this supposed to make you faster or something?

I dry all my running clothes, except my sports bras, hats, and gloves, on delicate.

Cranium - *snork!*

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance