Masters Running

11/25/21 Happy Thanksgiving Runs and Eats (Read 38 times)

Henrun

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Ran 2 miles this morning before we left for NH for a turkey meal with Marj’s DD and family-delicious! Off for a walk shortly.

Been dealing with a big project last few days- my first poetry book will be published early next fall and requires a lot of organization (mostly by Marj), so after the holidays we’ll be working on it.

MurrayM

Saw a yoo-toob video yesterday by an Australian runner that fits in with Thanksgiving.

He changed, "I've got to run today" to "I get to run today".

All of us have had periods where we couldn't run due to Life intrusions, health problems, injury, or may be going through such a period right now.

I'll be mindful of this while I try to build distance and time on feet through wild winter weather to be ready for a spring 50K when it's hard to get out the door.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Happy Thanksgiving all

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Alexander R

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quickadder

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll.

Thanksgiving meal went smoothly - cooking was shared pretty well amongst 5 of the 9 that sat down. I got a comparatively light share this year with just apple pies and yorkshire puddings to make.

Managed to time my contribution so that I had time for a short-ish run between making the pies and the puddings. 3.5 miles done but light rain started soon after I did.

Interesting hair comments. My DW has been coloring hers for decades and will continue for the rest of her days. I have natural grey highlights, which DW tells me are 'distinguished' on a man, though my beard is distinctly grey. I've been working from home since the pandemic started and haven't visited the local barber shop since (not a very healthy place to be even before CoVid) so my hair is even longer than it was in my college days - was quite a surprise to my colleagues when we started having Zoom meetings.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Thanksgiving, masters!

I got a 12 lb turkey, which is a lot for just 2 of us, but the smallest one I could find.  We'll freeze some for leftovers.   I put it in the oven at about 2 pm and went out for a run.  It's cold and windy, so I only ran 7 miles and came home to get warm! But like Murray says, I got to run today!

Henrun, that's cool that you're publishing a book of poetry!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Our day was great.  Excellent food and company over at our friends' house.  No drama.  Age range from 1 to 98.  My son in law was the star since he brought some puppets (he's the one with the Emmys from his work on Sesame Street) to entertain the kids (and adults).  It was awesome.  It rained all day, so no deck time, but we had plenty of room and all went well.   I'm stuffed and tired!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I got my butt out the door this afternoon for a really nice 4 mile run, then made our EZ PZ dinner: porkchops, honey balsamic roasted Brussel sprouts (yum!!), salad, and jasmine rice.  Except for cutting up the spouts, onion, and mushrooms, the whole thing took 30 min. and was delicious.

And yes, Murray - I got to run and it felt great. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving, Masters!

Sounds like a good, busy, and tasty day all around.

Sound like you'll be doing a different kind of stair workouts for a while, Holly. As others have said, take it easy. Pretty fancy hardware you've got there. I also have a screw in my foot from surgery in '03. The last X-ray showed that the screw had broken in half. No pain, no bodily damage, so we just left it as is.

I'm sorry there is such a stigma about women having grey hair because I think most women look fantastic with grey hair. Perhaps because of the stigma, women with grey hair exude comfort with and confidence in themselves, and that is a very appealing look.

I went for a 6.3 mi. RW workout early this morning, then baked a pumpkin skillet cake, then we Zoomed with my sister, and then after lunch DW and I went for a walk down to the water, after which I made GF and breadless stuffing and DW made GF gravy, both of which we took to our neighbors' house for our contributions to their Thanksgiving dinner, which was amazingly delicious with great company around the table. So it was a busy, but still a and joyful day.Now I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow which, of course, you know that I won't.

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay, what is GF?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly--I believe GF stand for Gluten Free.

I, too, was able to run, this morning and I am very thankful that I was and able to run.  I got in 8 miles in a cold wind but the sun was out which made it feel better.  Since I didn't have time to go to Zac's to lift weights... and since all of my weights are over at Zac's house, I just did some pushups and pullups for my strength training, today.

There was one group of 4 people who decided not to come and another group of 3 people left just as a group of 4 people came, so I don't think we ever had more than 32 people here at one time... so it wasn't that bad.  All were thoroughly stuffed when they left so I guess it was a successful day.

Actually--what made it a successful day was--when I was done with my turkey duties, I came down stairs and finished my Christmas letter!  Whew!  I thought this might be the year I didn't do one... nothing was coming to me... which is what I ended up writing about... well, kind of.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Oh!  Happy Thanksgiving!

BTY

Hey Mike E - will we have to wait long for the Christmas Letter?  Can't wait - hope not.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and from the looks of the posts, most of you seemed to.  Ours was very nice.  GN and I started out at my neighbor's house - the 86-year-old with the dead trees in the adjacent lot to her home - and finished cutting up the good firewood logs.  Well I cut them up with the chainsaw she had given me, and he toted them in my wheelbarrow for 1/8 mile back to my house where he stacked each load in preparation for splitting them and selling them for some profits.  I think he made either five or six 1/4 mile circuits with the loaded/empty wheelbarrow, so I was impressed that he stayed with it.  He's a good worker when motivated.  While he was making the last few trips I carried the wood I deemed too dead to sell ( a little mushy from ground contact ) out to the side of the road where the previous pile had been ( the first pile was 90% gone as of Thanksgiving morning).  This second roadside pile is bigger and the wood is even dryer and less mushy than what I'd originally put out there, so I'm pretty confident this next pile will be gone in a couple of days, too.  Probably a mid-sized pickup truck load full, at least.  A Black Friday special for someone, hopefully someone in need.

GN got to see his father at the residential treatment place after we had our family dinner.  He and his grandmother drove over together, she stayed for a short visit, drove back here for coffee and dessert and picking the names out of the hat for our Christmas exchange (a nice Christmas prep tradition going back at least 15 years now), and then drove back and got him, and brought him back here.  About 2 hours of driving in all, after driving 2+ hours to get here yesterday morning, so she and her Subaru got a workout.  GN reported that after church on Sunday (where he gets to see his Dad for about 2 hours), his Dad will have a 6-hour release and will be coming back to the house to spend time with GN and us.  Not sure how all of that will play out but it was good to hear.  She is taking GN back to her house for today and tomorrow, and bringing him back here late tomorrow - another 4.5 to 5 hours of driving.

Going back to the gym later this morning for a pull workout (chinups, pulldowns and rows, dumbbell curls, and some core work) and then a swim workout of +/- 3,000 yards.  After Thanksgiving feasting including last night's pre-bedtime apple pie alamode, I'm glad I wear jammers and not a 3" (or whatever) "Speedo" style racing suit.  That would definitely not be a good look today.  I'm probably more buoyant this morning though!  Oh, and wish me luck - I'll be negotiating with DW about a swim meet in Ithaca on December 11.  I agreed not to talk about it until after Thanksgiving hosting and cleanup was completed.  She has to work today and I get the day off so I think I'll make dinner (steamed fish from the grocery store's fish counter) and sides I can handle as part of the negotiations.