Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 7.7.17 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

Never wear the race shirt until AFTER the race.  I was runner-raised to believe that identified you as a "beginner" and was tacky!

My tradition is to wear the race shirt after I've finished the race and get all cleaned up.  I'll wear it the rest of the day.  Kind of a, "Hey, look what I did today" kind of thing.

....great pics mikeE........

Imagine

if tet had as many Shoes as he does Shirts.........

==============

......80s here

.....30-min RC at Soccer Fields

and

40-min PoolRun with letters

also

signed up for a Tai Chi Class in August

........figured it might do The Hip some good

anyone taken one??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

My tradition is to wear the race shirt after I've finished the race and get all cleaned up.  I'll wear it the rest of the day.  Kind of a, "Hey, look what I did today" kind of thing.

I do the same thing as Dave59.

However, I've done a number of races in France & it seems over there that most wear their race shirt for the race. So, I've done that over there since it seemed to be the norm.

I'm not sure I've ever picked up a race shirt where I didn't do the race. I do have a couple of volunteer shirts... nice long sleeve tech ones that I wear in the winter.

When I ran Boston, I bought 2 souvenir jackets... one for me of course & one for my wife... I wouldn't have made it there without her support.

Still behaving & not running... so, a 1 mile swim at noon.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tom - maybe races ought to give out shoes instead.

The Seattle Marathon tried wrist watches in 1999.

It didn't work.  Nobody, except me, liked 'em.

Never wear the race shirt until AFTER the race.  I was runner-raised to believe that identified you as a "beginner" and was tacky!

I always wear the event shirt in the event so it'll be in the event photos.

I've never been called "tacky," though. I wonder why.

Maybe by running barefoot, not too many people notice your choice of t-shirts too. Fortunately, I'm also with spinach regarding what people say.  It is kind of funny, though, seeing all the event shirts with me back at the end-of-the-pack in the big, local fun runs and hardly any on the fast runners coming back towards us on the out-and-back courses.  No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

My one disappointment with Hatfield  & McCoy Marathon was the race shirt.  They were unisex short sleeved tech shirts, but the sleeves were huge and floppy and the Small was way big on me and just looked stupid.  I am not all that picky, but the shirt was a "miss".  Fortunately, I bought another cute Hatfield shirt from 73 Threads at the small expo, so I had something to wear after the race to show the world I ran it!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

When I ran Boston, I bought 2 souvenir jackets... one for me of course & one for my wife... I wouldn't have made it there without her support.

Ah, that's sweet.  I like that.

But she knows she can never wear it in public, right?

I never understood the whole race shirt thing.  Do whatever the hell you want to do.* What do I care?

*Does not apply to cheaters who had other people run the race for them.

One more medical appointment down. I'm getting to be a pro at these.

Usual highlight: "Is your heart rate always this low?"

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E glad to see you appear to be recovering just fine. I wonder if you came down with a bit of heat stroke? Here is hoping you do not go through that again. Also all rules are copyrighted you need a © after the text of any rule or it is not a rule. That is a rule too. From the running book of running rules, "All rules are copyrighted and are followed by a ©."©

I do not wear race shirts on race day for the same reasons as C-R. Until they get washed they often itch!

No running for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical in about the highest dew point I think my basement gym has ever experienced. By the end my towel and I were both drenched. Tomorrow is another local wacky race distance race, 3.042 miles.  I have mixed feelings about whether I want the dew point to come down for it. On the plus side, I will run faster. On the down side, it will let everyone else run fast too! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

At the big races here, where everyone and their 2nd cousin enter, there are  LOT of race shirts in the field of runners. Since every year the shirt is a different color, it's pretty funny to see the sea of [enter that year's color] shirts. This year was a red shirt that I actually finally did wear just last week and found it bleeds color all over when it's wet. I now have a white towel with all sorts of strange red marks on it. I don't wear race shirts the day of the race, and I don't wear race shirts for a race I didn't run. But that's just me. And I don't give a hoot what anyone else does.

Mike E, be careful. There's really nothing "just" about 90°. Hope you're ok.

Rest day here. Getting a haircut this afternoon, got my teeth cleaned on Wednesday. That should all add up to a fast race tomorrow, right? Should be perfect weather, if not a bit warm.

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't understand this.  Why do people get mad at people who do that.  At several races I have heard some jerk yelling at a new runner for wearing the shirt of the race,

Seriously?  People actually yell at other people because of the shirt they are wearing?  Jerks......

I personally don't give a hoot what others are wearing at a race other than that sometimes I am entertained.

No run for me today, swimming instead - 60 times across the pool (1500 yards) which may be a new record for me.  Plus a few exercises.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, what a great picture of your family in Alaska!

I'm racing tomorrow too, but only a local 6 mile trail run with the Colorado Masters.  Fun bunch of old fogeys!

It's been warm here too, so to escape the heat, I went for a 16 mile trail run up to the divide with a few friends.  There's still some snow up there!  Here's a picture on the way up:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 10 miles today...10 very slow miles...I am still feeling the affects of that run...it's just crazy.

I have no time for cheaters.  Period.  If it didn't hurt other people, then I wouldn't care...but it does.

As far as the shirts...I do not wear a race shirt that I did not participate in and I don't wear the race shirt during the race.  But that is MY deal.  If somebody else wants to do either, or both, or even tie their dang jacket around their waist...it is hurting nobody else...go for it.

You might even want to go buy a letter jacket, like the high school kids get, and have a large patch of the United States that says something like, "50 States and DC" sewed on the back and have little bar-like patches with all the marathons you did sewed up and down the sleeves.  If that's what you want to do, go head--you can do it.  You can...right?  Not that I would ever even think about doing something as dorky as that...but, you could do it...right?

It seems like race shirts go through cycles.  We used to get short sleeved cotton shirts for summer races and long sleeved cotton shirts for winter races.  For awhile I got some heavy cotton mock-turtle neck shirts and, now it seems to be the tech shirts.   I like the long sleeved cotton shirts the best.  I can never get the right size of any of the shirts, though.  I'll order a small and its skin tight.  I'll order a medium and it hangs to my knees.  Oh, such problems we have.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

Wildchild, birthday sistahh, that picture is stunning. How fun that you have friends to run 16 miles with in that scenery. Enjoy your race tomorrow. Ohhh and consider giving us a race report on the Weekend's race report thread Smile.

Quick post here. Working 13 hours yesterday and 10 today just did me in.  I am exhausted, crancky at t his point. But watering the plants and sitting on my grape arbor, which is coming next will soothe my mood, I am sure.

This morning I ran an 8 miler. Great weather. Smile miles, but I must admit, I was disappointed with my overall tempo pace. Tomorrow will be another triple digit here. When will I learn not to train for a marathon during the summer months? It is just plain too hard.

But then again, I am a marathon maniac .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

or even tie their dang jacket around their waist...

Okay, wait a minute, that is just going too far....

Mike and Carolyn - beautiful pics!

Mariposai - you are working too hard - I thought you just finished a big work deadline?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay, wait a minute, that is just going too far....

I'm sorry...remember, I'm still recovering from some kind of heat stress...I'm not sure I can believe I single thing that I said.