Masters Running

Happy Weds Feb 17th Runs and workouts...and snow (yuck) (Read 403 times)

Aamos, thanks for the ideas.  My sister is currently using tetracycline for hers.  No way would I go that route.

Francesca - how absolutely cool that you got into the race!  And I hope your mother enjoys seeing the boys.  I assume they still have that long hair??  I told my DS he should grow his thick blond hair long, and he said no way.

A Timbo post, yeah!!

Perch - that is cool about your brother, and hearing the birds chattering away in the background.

I set up a little contest yesterday with DD7 and DS9.  We went to the middle school track to do a one lap race.  They handicapped me by saying I had to run on the outside all the way around.  I said no way, I am cutting to the inside once it is free.  So off we go, the kids bolting (no sense of pace) and I am bolting too, trying to keep up with them.  In my mind I am thinking they will fade at any moment but my DD keeps going and we are neck and neck until the backstretch where she finally fades to a walk and I keep going to win.  She ran at least twice as far in the same time as DS who had given up pretty early on.  I think she has potential, unlike me at that age, to do cross country in middle school.  Now the hard part is teaching her pacing.

Then at 7pm I went outside for an invigorating crystal clear night, crescent moon run of 4.13 miles.  Most of the streets were well enough lit, just one spot where I had to stop because I couldn't see the path.  It can get really dark if just one streetlamp is burned out.  I had my reflective vest on but no flashlight.  Didn't think I'd need it since I mainly stuck to the higher traffic streets.  I always feel like I am running faster at night, and it turned out to be partly true and partly just my imagination.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

TimBo, good luck with the job and the apartment hunting! Hope there are some nice places to run in your new location.

Interesting stuff Dave posted yesterday about yaktrax vs screw shoes vs. Kahtoolas.  My first pair of yax broke after 3 years, which isn't too bad.  I should probably try screw shoes, since they're cheaper, but the yax are convenient.

Nice "wimpy hill" run, ChiliBill!

Nice non-wimpy hill half, Perch!  Why at 4:30 am?  I thought you were still unemployed? How are the job prospects?

Craneium, hope you're enjoying some warmth and sunshine in Arizona.  Lucky dog.

Francesca, I'm envious of your trip to Italy!  Glad you got a spot in the marathon.  Happy B-day to your mom.

Deb, 6 am sounds so much more civilized than 3:45 am!  Sounds like you still got in a good run, and some extra sleep as a bonus!

We haven't been skiing yet this year, which seems kinda dumb since we live in Colorado!  DD has been so busy with the theater group at high school, and consequently I'm busy driving her to town, so we just haven't gotten around to it.  The weekends we've been free, the weather has been too cold or too windy or no fresh snow.  Lift ticket prices are so high that it's not worth going when the conditions and/or weather are carpy.  Oh for the days when DH was a ski patroller and I got a free season pass as an employee spouse perk! Hope we'll get out at least a few times this year.

I got out for 3 slow miles yesterday around the golf course.  I ran mostly in the grass next to the path, as I'm trying to avoid hard surfaces while my leg and foot heal.   Today's the warmest day of the week, already in the 40's, so I may go for another easy run today even though I'm generally trying to run every other day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Bill, your chili story yesterday reminded me of the first time I made pumpkin pie for my husband. (and no, not because I put chili's in it  ) He loves pumpkin pie, so even though it wasn't T'giving time, I made him a homemade pumpkin pie. Oh, the house smelled so wonderful! After it cooled off, I served him up a slice. He couldn't wait! He took one bite, scrunched up his face and said I forgot something . . . sugar. oops! we tried just sprinkling sugar on it to sweeten it up. Didn't really work so well.  It's so important to read those ingredients carefully!

I don't think I've popped in lately to post much . . . Laura and I ran a Couples Truffle Shuffle on Saturday. We did better our time from last year, but didn't place in our grouping (Open Female). We were 4th. But we did win a sweet doorprize - A starbucks coffee sampler and a big bottle of Starbucks caramel sauce. It was a challenging 5K course - first half all uphill, with the last 1/3 mile or so being a very steep incline, but then you get to fly back down the 2nd half of the race.

I had Monday off and we had gorgeous weather here. I ran 7.4 miles of hills and then yesterday I ran 4.2 miles during my lunch hour. Today we might even hit 70 but I'm taking a rest day as I have some errands to run on my lunchhour. Tomorrow should be nice again so I'll plan on a lunch time run then.

Glad to hear the job is coming along nicely Tim. I'm sure you are so anxious to start working again.

have a good day everyone.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Today we might even hit 70

...I'm so envious, I don't even have the words....

Boy, you seem to win some sweet door prizes a lot Tammy - very kewl!

I just sent in my registration for the Ohio River Road Runners Club, and for $5 extra I got DH a membership, too.  They have a lot of races for only $3 and I hope to get to a few of them over the season.  That won't always be easy, since they are mostly during weeknights and not necessarily that close to home, but some of them aren't too far, and DH said he would come and race-walk some 5Ks that I do.  (keeping my fingers crossed that he actually does this)      Plus it might be nice to get to know some local runners and get a little involved....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yeah, no kidding on drooling over Tammy's ambient temperatures! Wow... Although we're having a beautiful week and I hope to get out in it sometime. Next week will cool off again.

Holly, let me know how that works with your DH going to the races. I'd love it if mine would, too. There are several "fun run" type 5k's we could do that way. I'd even walk some of them with him, except the series races, of course!

DH and I went to the gym together today! That was a surprise. Usually I go alone but he had my car today and instead of just doing the driver switch thing, he came along, too! Short warmup on the elliptical and then hit the free weights, with a few giggles here and there. Time sure went fast and I didn't get everything done that I wanted, but that's ok.

I made cheesecake recently and completely forgot the sugar.  It actually wasn't that bad.  I guess all that fatty cream cheese made up for it.

70F Tammy, wow, it is only 52 here.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

I'm going to have to take that back, about the 70 degrees. The weatherperson this morning said we could reach 70 today, but right now it's only 62. Although, the sun feels seriously warm today - it feels much warmer than what 62 should feel like. it was downright HOT in my car when I went out at lunchtime - had to open up windows!

Tammy

Tammy - So GP is where our sunshine was today!  It was gorgeous here yesterday until mid-afternoon, then the fog rolled in.  It was suppose to be another sunny day today, but overcast instead.

Enke - There's one streetlamp that goes out every single time I get near it.  It's on, it's on, it's on.  A car goes by it's still on.  I get near it, it goes out.  I have no idea what the deal is.

Steve - Loved the pic of Tag the Super Pup.

3 miles this a.m. - #1 and #3 easy, #2 faster (it's suppose to be "race pace," but I don't have a "race pace."  I have a "get it done before the cutoff" pace).

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

48 push-ups

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maniac 505

Timbo: Exciting news!

Francesco,  I bet you are on a plane now, but Exciting news!]

Enke, Exciting race Smile

under water pipe fitting for me today,  WE triple checked all our valves, and we even checked our air gauges during the dive Smile    much of the pipe fitting was  brute force,  what I often refer to as Gorilla engineering.  Hammering together sections of 4" PVC pipe,  We worked up a good sweat but got the job done,  followed by 3 miles into the wind and 3 sproinky miles back. average pace 9:00/mile,  I am going to have to start picking up my pace soon.   Probably after Bataan Next month.

Didn't get anyone in too look at my refrigerator yet,  I expect repairs to be reasonable, but for now it isn't a refrigerator,  It is an extra cupboard

I Can Go The Distance

Holly, I forgot to post pushups and abs this morning, thanks for reminding me. 48 pushups along with abs.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

A little from South Mountain

Today's 48 pushups

evanflein

RA seemed to be down last night when I was trying to post... Here's what I posted on KR:

I came home a little later than I wanted, but still wanted to run outside. Light was fading but it was so nice and warm out (upper 20's)... started to get ready and just ran out of ambition. Didn't want to get out a couple miles and have it get all dark, didn't want to dig out my light, blah, blah, blah. So I stripped back down, put on shorts and headed to the treadmill.

I like my MLR runs on Wednesdays to be more than "just a run," so always try to do something like hill repeats, progressive pace stuff, tempos or some sort of intervals. Thinking about Mike's run earlier, I thought I'd try some half mile repeats.

2 mile warm up @ 8:50
                            4 x .5 mile @ 8:13 pace w/ .2 mile recovery @ 8:49
                            (stopped for a water break and quick stretch, maybe a minute)
                            4 x .5 mile @ 8:00 pace w/ .2 mile recovery @ 8:49
                            1.5 miles cool down @ 8:49
                            9.1 miles total in 1:17:27

Had to battle some demons in the second set of repeats... thought of cutting down to just two. But I managed to keep to the plan (such as it was) and actually felt ok at the end. Could've done another one if I had to. But I didn't. I think of the faster paces (8:13 and 8:00) being about "tempo" pace these days, maybe just a bit more than HM pace.