Masters Running

Race Reports for the 4th of July Weekend (Read 26 times)

spinach

wow - I'll be in Princeton. That's where my parents grew up and dad attended SCSU. Dad is still a huge SCSU hockey fan. die hard.  Going back to visit my 94 yr old grandma.

any local races in St. Cloud on 7/22?

It seems to be the one weekend we don't have a race here this summer.  Unfortunately we don't have a good listing of the local races anymore so if I find one i will let you know. If you are here on a Wednesday at 6;00 pm , we do have a nice run from the Endurunce Shop, a running store, in St Cloud.

TammyinGP

thanks spinach. I fly into MSP that Wednesday night, so would miss out on that. I couldn't find any central MN races that weekend either. But probably just as well. I'll just run around in Princeton area when I have the time, but focus of visit is my grandma. Most likely the last trip to see her.

Tammy

Mariposai

I got in a couple races this weekend.  This got me now 184 consecutive months with a race.  On Saturday I ran a 10k in Starbuck MN. This was a good race for old folks since the third and fourth finishers were both in the age group 60+. I finished fourth about 10 seconds behind the the other 60+ runner. I led him for the first 4 miles but he passed me on a fairly steep downhill and i couldn't catch back up once we got flat.  I don't I would have caught him but my knee gives me a good excuse. I hurt the knee last summer and I had a couple surgeries in the fall and I am not at all comfortable running downhill now. My knee doesn't feel very stable and I am afraid I am going fall. So I get into defensive mode and run very slow on the downhills. My time was reasonable, 42:33.

This morning i ran the Red White and Boom Half Marathon in Minneapolis. I finished this one in 100th place, a nice round number for that. My time was 1:35:03 and I finished third in the 60-64 age group. The race started at 6:30 and i live about  an hour and a half away from Minneapolis so it was an early morning.  I don't know if the early wake up affected me but i didn't feel well for the the first several miles. I was surprised that i felt better as the race went on. One of the concerns was that in the past year,since the race last year,  I had only run further than 9 miles once, in a half marathon in April. The big surprise I had when I got home and checked my gps I saw that in the last five miles all my splits were 7:20 or 7:21. I guess that is my current comfortable pace.

It was a nice weekend with two races. I am happy.

Amazing, spinach.  Thanks for the report.  You inspired me deeply

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

I dunno if I did any part of the LLBean 10K course when I went for a workout on a visit to Freeport, ME last summer, but I still managed to find (as in 'couldn't avoid') some very challenging hills. So kudos to Milktruck for tackling 

Fashion report: black shorts, white Granite State Racewalkers singlet, orange cap, black 

Thanks for reminding us about the "Fashion Report" requirement.

What a great for all. I smiled the whole time I read the report.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

Lots of friends and good food at the finish. Probably my favorite race of the year! I only wish I had pictures to share.

MTA: The RD took this photo of me right after I finished:

Afton 25K GM

and you did have a picture to share!

What a great race you had, Thanks for sharing it with us here.