Masters Running

Thanksgiving Thursday 11/23 (Read 36 times)

mrrun

Happy Thanksgiving to all runners, lurkers, and families! - jlynne - great idea!  I'm just thankful that our family is all in good health and are happy and that we're eating this dinner with two of our children and their families

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Just got the results from our Turkey Trot.  One thing I love about this race - it brings out so many non-racers that no matter how slow I am, I still place pretty well...

AG 35/269

Female: 777/3429

OA: 2145/6429

Here's the relive of the race - you can sort of see the big hill we climb in the first mile:  https://www.relive.cc/view/g15753641660

CR and Henry - nice AG wins!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy thanksgiving to all. Ran a solo turkey trot around the lake before the actual one got going. Looked to be a big crowd based on the full parking lot.  This running stuff seems hard when you only do it every 4 or 5 days .

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

wow! that's a huge turnout for that race Holly!

mike, glad to hear Eric is doing well. I know he's been quite a challenge for you over the years, so I hope he's reaching the next level of maturity and turning his life around for good

ran our local TT this morning also. odd distances for this one: a 2 mi or 8 mi. well, I want TWO pieces of pie today so there was no question that I needed to run the 8. big turnout for our local races, but brings out alot of families and non runners, like most TT races do. I don't know overall placing other than 7th in my AG . I'm sure all results will be up later. 

I made a couple pies for dinner (pumpkin and triple berry) and heading over to my parents soon. 

have a great thanksgiving everyone!

Tammy

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, and Happy Thanksgiving!  Turkeys are roasted (DW's) and fried (mine).  Sides heating so this will be short.  There are no local races on Thanksgiving so the tradition is for folks to meet at 6 AM and run the local 15k course (the Huff 'n Puff on the Bluff--pretty hilly).  My first year here there were maybe 60 runners there.  Fewer this year, about 30 or so.  Cold (mid 20s) and a very slight breeze.  Got there a bit early for some extra miles.  Wound up with 12 miles at about an 8 min/mile pace.  There are some beautiful views on this course.  My favorite is around mile 7, you've just climbed back up the bluff and you get rewarded with a view of the Tennessee River and a large tract of undeveloped land on the other side.

My deployed folks sent me pictures of their Thanksgiving spread.  Have to admit, they did well.  Great when you "deploy yourselves," they brought fryers and peanut oil.  Would like to be with them but it wasn't a possibility.

Thankful for many things.  Still not ready to share, but agree about being thankful for your children--even/especially in trying circumstances.  The alternative is much worse.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

Falconfixer

Holly, I agree--that is a big race!  Congratulations!

evanflein

Man, you guys are all a bunch of over-achievers! Well, I have no problem bringing the average down.  DH and I slept in with the cat, got up and I made a couple of pumpkin pies while drinking coffee. DH made breakfast, and I'm about to go get the turkey out of the brine and see how it's doing. I hope it's thawed.

No races here that I'm aware of, and even if there were I wouldn't do it. It was about zero this morning and there's a gazillion feet of snow out there and I might clear the stairs later. I think I'll wade out into the yard to measure the snowfall to see how much we have out there. I'll probably run on the treadmill while the turkey is in the oven. Nothing like Cat's run though, jeez... 14 miles? Ouch.

Thankful for lots of things, even the job I complain about a lot. Kids are doing pretty well even if they still aren't talking to each other.  So glad to have my family close by, including my parents who are doing pretty well too. So, all in all, and especially compared to so many in much worse shape, life is pretty good. And yes, Jay put it very well.

Just got the results from our Turkey Trot.  One thing I love about this race - it brings out so many non-racers that no matter how slow I am, I still place pretty well...

AG 35/269

Female: 777/3429

OA: 2145/6429

+1  There were 2,081 for the 5 mile race this morning, and easily another 1,000 for the 2 mile walk and dog jog.  The weather was absolutely perfect with a temp of 30°, no wind and clear blue skies. I didn't run well today. Note to self:  don't eat black beans, salsa and guacamole the night before a race   I finished at 54:37, 4th out of 10 in my AG and 1,463 overall.  The woman who won the 65-69 AG ran the race at an 8:07 pace. She beats me at all of these local races every year. The only way I'll ever get ahead of her is if she runs on crutches!  Oh well, just grateful to be out there.

Nice racing for all you folks! Hope everyone's dinner turned out well and y'all are sprawled out on the couch napping, watching football or planning your Black Friday shopping strategy.

Enjoy your evenings everyone!

pfriese

I behaved at the Thanksgiving Day feast & was able to go for an easy 5 mile run late this afternoon.

Paul

spacityrunner

6.5 late afternoon mountain miles on hot springs mountain.  Great trail run on a ideal weather day.  Some of the trail is ankle deep in leaves which made for interesting footing.  But no falls, one stumble and a speedy 14:48 m/m.   

Hope you all enjoyed your thanksgiving as much as I did!!

Trails Rock!

Mike - I told The Hub about Eric's 30 days.  He said to let him know (up to you) that he's very proud of him.  You all know our history.  We also have a nephew who has 3 years of being clean and sober from meth and is currently engaged.  So life IS better sober.

Erika - I'll join you on being an underachiever.  Crawled outta bed around 8:00, then got in my 3 miles in MU-GGY conditions.  Bleck!  I foam-rolled when I got home and I still had sweat dripping off my head.

Meal consisted of turkey stuffing, Brussel sprouts with bacon, and sauteed asparagus with a honey mustard sauce.

What am I thankful for?  That's easy.  My husband's sobriety.  Unless you've lived with an addict, there's no way to fully explain what a gift sobriety is.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

three sunny, t-shirt miles.

Tried to avoid any Thanksgiving running for fear the dry morning and sunny afternoon would spoil me for inclement weather expected for Sunday's Seattle Marathon but, for some reason, did three mile over-and-back at 60oin short-sleeve t-shirt to the supermarket to exchange the little container of ground allspice purchased in lieu of allspice berries I couldn't find for whole allspice that turns out to be the same.  <<<(much thanks to holly/twocat)>>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Leslie - so muggy and warm here too. My race this morning was uncomfortable in that kind of humidity. tomorrow should be another mild day at upper 50s but hoping some of this mugginess goes away. 

found out I placed 7/17 in my AG. better than I thought - but of course, lots of casual runners and walkers out there today. 

Tammy

bioguy

A day late, but yesterday was busy....6 miles at 9:219 pace on a crisp, clear day. Much to be thankful for.