Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 11/28 (Read 493 times)

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important that the past, the education, the money, the circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  It will make or break a company . . . a church . . . a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past . . . we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.  I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.  And so it is with you . . . we are  in charge our Attitudes." (Charles R. Swindoll, American Writer and Clergyman)

It's long, but so true.

-----------------------------

I just checked on Joe's results.  Woo hoo!  Good job!

-----------------------------

Oh my. My legs are so . . . so . . . tired.  Every incline felt like a small mountain.  Thankfully, I didn't have to adhere to a speed or HR range.  It took me approx 2:09 to get through 12 miles, giving me pause to consider the increasingly high mileage long runs I have in my future.  Then I ate like a horse at breakfast (mmmm - pancakes, bacon, eggs, AND hashbrowns.  Gotta love "Momma's"), and I'm hungry again, just a couple of hours later.  So, I'm off to find something that will lull me into a good nap for the afternoon.

Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

where did you find Joe's results?
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi Kids, too pooped to write much tonight and some very cold Blue Moons are calling my name. Short and sweet (report will follow) is I didn't get the sub 4 I was looking for ,but I did take 11 minutes off my last marathon. I held sub 4 pace for the first 15 miles but the rolling hills of Mannayunk slapped me around. I knew the third quarter of this course is tough,including a mile long climb to the 20m mark.That's the turnaround then it's a straight and mostly rolling downhill 10k to the finish. The exception is the last mile,which is ALL uphill too. So # 3 is in the history books at 4:11:23 and as long as it was better than the last marathon, I consider it a success. Thanks for the Well Wishes and you know you guys were out on that course with me.

Later my running friends

where did you find Joe's results?

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to . . . well . . . you know.

Congratulations, Joseph.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Way to go Joe!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Awesome Joe!  Great PR based on your solid training.  Enjoy the afterglow and avoid the stairs.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride Smile

Progress Trumps Pefection
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enjoy those Blue Moons, Joe.  You certainly earned them.  WTG!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Nice job Joe, steady improvement and a pr too!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

If this doesn't bring a small tear to your eye, I don't know what will: A Happy Dog

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I got my long run in yesterday early before we went to the field. I did 13.5 miles for my longest run ever and that gave me 31.5 for my best mileage week ever. Thought I would then go sit in my nice comfy combine seat the rest of the day but a series of piddly breakdowns kept me running up and down the ladder. Probably a good thing to keep me from tieing up. So all and all a good run week in addition to harvesting just shy of1000 acres or so of corn this wk and fighting a sinus infection.

Pushing hard snow forecast (a little one) more later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi All, Thanks again for the pats on the back.Legs are a bit wobbly today but not too bad.

Leslie- another example of why dogs are among the best pets in the world.Good going on your mileage too! I love that stuff about attitude,it really hits the mark.

Jim- Congrats on your long run and mileage too! Especially with the way you've been feeling and your workload.

Should be happy households of football fans this week,both in college and pro's.( well except Cindy )

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - WOOT! Huge PR on hills! I didn't realize the course was gonna take you over to Manayunk, it's pretty hilly over there. You need to find your sub-4 course. BTW, I'm thinking of doing Marine Corps next October...looks like a pretty fast course, mostly down from mi 8, except for the wall at mi 26. 

Leslie - I looked, then looked AGAIN at that elevation profile...then you went and did another 12 the next day!! Dayum....

Jim - sounds like you're on the final push, both for your race and for your work. When they say the hay is in the barn...maybe for you we should change it to the corn is in the silo?

Lookin' like family stuff might interfere with my 60 mi week, but I'll see what I can get - but who can complain about lotsa good eats for Turkey Day?

Arla

Ex runner

Morning, Peeps!

Jim - Very nicely done on that LR and weekly mileage.  Good for you!!   And on top of that, all the harvesting you've been doing and feeling like crap.  My hat's off to you.

Joe - I take it today's a rest day.   Enjoy those little mini walks that help oh so much.

Arla - If you can't get the 60 in, shoot for 59.5.

Rest day here.  The hips are still a tad sore, but nothing major.  Since I'm now in taper, I won't be seeing that kind of mileage again for awhile.  Not sure I can say, "It was fun while it lasted," but it sure was cool to reach a new benchmark.

Have a great week ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Thanks for the start up Leslie.  & I love that quote - I think I had "Attitude is Everything" for a sign-off on my emails forever (well, a few years anyway)

Yay Joe!! Congrats on a very admirable time on a tough course!  Sometimes when I read abt such courses, I think maybe I should be thankful of the hills that I "get to" run around as a course of daily fair. 

Should be happy households of football fans this week,both in college and pro's.( well except Cindy )

yeah, well the sports commentators had a real good time w/that one! "..& the Broncos are kinda like the moon - no signs of life!" ~ didn't I say it was early in the season??  Our tickets to watch our GD fell through, but at least we didn't have to sit through that in person..too many "more important" ppl put in for them   Best part of yesterday (besides cheering for Joe) was watching the little snot who used to pretend to be our quarterback have an even worse day than our 2nd stringer!   Karma does work, yes indeedy!

Getting short little runs in btwn work, errands & such...just shy of 4 mostly mosey-ish w/Mairead mid morning...hmmm, how odd! 'bout 34* , a little breezy & just past some light snow squalls

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hey evryone. 

Nice long run Jim.  I forget what race your training for....is it Las Vegas RR?

Joe, I bet the Blue Moons never tasted so good.   Enjoy this successful marathon session.

Leslie, after a very tough weekend schedule, you deserve a break.  And the quote is a good one.

mtn...short little runs work.

Hey to evryone, arla, stump, carol, jewels, ultra, evryone else.

I got new shoes!  Sticking with the ASICS Kayano line.....Kayano 15.  The 15s are last years (or maybe 2 yrs ago) model.  I looked all ovr trying to find them on sale.  No luck.  Ended up getting them thru Roadrunner Sports.  I hope to take them out for a short test drive today. 

BTW evryothrday is having his collar bone fixed.  After 4 weeks it just wasn't healing properly.  I'll update later this evening.